Disney chute avalanche

https://koaa.com/news/covering-color...berthoud-pass/

Disney went big today with some help from the chopper. Article says it hasn’t gone to the road since 1957, when it earned its name.

Be safe out there.

Wow, cool

Big 'un!

Hopefully all those shit fuck willows got blown out of the egress. With Disney and Bethel running as big as they did, I'm guessing we will see more closures and mitigation on some obscure "100 year" type paths.

One of you Cal Topo nerd want to figure out the Alpha Angle from the ridge to the road?

Way better footage than the footage of the Bethel slide, which looks like it was shot through vasaline.

Disney chute avalanche

A Disney ride I never want to experience

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Hopefully all those shit fuck willows got blown out of the egress. With Disney and Bethel running as big as they did, I'm guessing we will see more closures and mitigation on some obscure "100 year" type paths.

One of you Cal Topo nerd want to figure out the Alpha Angle from the ridge to the road?
    Ridge to road is roughly 26 degrees. (2800' drop over 5700' run).

Which isn't a really low alpha angle for 50-100 year type slide, at least compared to slide paths with actual runouts

If this thing didn't plow into the other hillside and had room to run then maybe it'd be in the 18-20 degree range...certainely a lot of snow moving very quickly there
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

How much deposition was there on the road?It’s hard to tell if the mass of the slide made it there, or if it was a cloud dusting

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    How much deposition was there on the road?It’s hard to tell if the mass of the slide made it there, or if it was a cloud dusting
    My understanding is that the actual debris did hit the road, not just the powder cloud. I haven't heard how deep it was.

I skied winter park today (which was FANTASTIC) and observed debris from the Disney chute as well as debris from Stanley. Stanley went this morning and left perhaps 8’ deep x 40’ wide debris at the side of the road after clean up. I’d guess 10’ x 60’ of debris at the road where Disney settled. 18” or so diameter trees were in the pile at the bottom of Disney. Looked like the willows survived. Wretched weeds.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreen View Post
    A Disney ride I never want to experience
    Definitely an E ticket ride.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by timackie View Post
    Looked like the willows survived. Wretched weeds.
    Resilient fuckers