Thread: Lees Ferry Beta

Lees Ferry Beta

Anyone been down there to fish? We are thinking of making a mid April run down with my friends jet boat for a few days. Any and all input would be welcome! Places to stay, eat, fishing info and all knowledge you can share would be much appreciated
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

I have a few connections to the area. Will reach out and get back to you if I get any decent info.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    I have a few connections to the area. Will reach out and get back to you if I get any decent info.

Cool thanks! The plan is to meet J and M down there. M is going to haul his jet boat down, I am sure there is room for one more if you are interested?
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

You can stay at either Marble Canyon or Cliff Dwellers Lodge near the put it. I prefer Marble Canyon. Or you can stay in Page about an hour away, I like the Holiday Inn. Page, America is a love it or hate it dusty desert town near the dam. If you like dive bars and drunk Navajos, check out The Windy Mesa. There are plenty of touristy things to do like the JWP Museum and the dam tour.

Personally, I'd hang down by the river but I'm happy just wandering around in the desert. Keep your part on the down low once your turn on to 89. The federales are watching and the shake down on real.

One thing people sometimes miss when they are down around the big ditch is the human history. Not everyone is into it, but I find it fascinating.

Awesome! Thanks Foggy, we just booked at Marble Canyon. Since we are going there to fish, I dont expect I will get out of the ditch much except to eat and sleep, I would love to spend some time in that area exploring the human history, I too find it amazing.

I’d love to join you but I think my little KW trip might be the hall pass for a while.

That is a good reason to not burn a hall pass!

Come striper fish! May to October (also baseball season for some teams)
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    Come striper fish! May to October (also baseball season for some teams)
    I am going to! You can count on it. It might not happen this year, but it will happen!

Watch the flows coming out of the dam, low cfs in the morning means quite shallow bars. Tricky boating.
    Decent food at Cliff Dwellers. I heard a rumor that the restaurant at Vermillion Cliffs lodge is currently closed.
    They’ve stocked the river with pellet heads. 1st time in 25 years.
    Good camping in the area, really enjoyable camping on the river, 9 Mile camp is best. The campground is meh tho.
    What else?

I fished there once and it was pretty boring fishing wise, caught a 14 inch rainbow every cast for like 5 hours. Maybe the easiest fishing I have ever done (the guided offered me a job at the end of the day). I did learn how to fish midge patterns effectively though. And my dad caught a bunch of fish (he's bad at fishing) and it was super pretty. The fishing was just not very compelling once you figured it out. I probably wouldn't even bother dragging a boat, fish might be a bit pickier in the walk in area. Now if catching hundreds of fish a day is your thing you will love it. Size 18-22 zebra midges in red and black 10-20" under a pinch on bobber, just crushes. It's important to watch the wind when the wind picks up its a hairy boat ride back. Don't worry about the gravel bars and stuff, it's a big wide river super easy to navigate with a jet might get a little sporty with a prop.

Now those big reservoirs have bass and such. That sounds fun.

Also I will be in Sedona on the 18th/19th. Plan is to mountain bike and fish a small stream, if you wanna hike into something.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care