AZ family style spring break

Hey all.
    All the snow in SW CO has been fabulous, but we are headed to the desert in a couple weeks.

My daughter is going to race at the White Tanks Whirlwind on Saturday 2/23. Then we’ll spend a few days visiting family in N. Scottsdale (and riding the McDowell trails), then we want to camp for 2-3 nights. Near riding (but also good hiking or creeks nearby would be nice).

We’d like to not head further south (Catalina’s).

We have strong teenage girls that can do 20-30 mile rides with elevation. We also have some wives and younger girls that are more into cruising and stopping for snacks and mellow (but not beginners, either).

We don’t need campgrounds. In fact, we’d prefer to camp on NF or BLM dispersed camping...but we’d be ok with a paid site.

Sedona? Picket Post? Somewhere near the superstitions?

Dispersed camping around Sedona can be a shit show now. In march it will be van-life-douchebag central, plus assholes in RVs everywhere running their generators all night.

There is a strip of BLM land that Black Canyon Trail runs through where you can camp. Some sections of BCT would have more mellow riding but also good for longer distance riders. (Antelope segment just south of Hwy 69.) The segment north of that is nice too and there is the new Copper Mtn loop that is about 12 miles. There is a bit of tech towards the end of the loop (CCW) but otherwise it is pretty mellow. BCT crosses a number of creeks that should still be running. Not sure how accessible they are from any good camping.

Near the Supersitions you can camp on State trust land off Peralta Rd. As a bonus, that is riding distance to Gold Canyon which has a ton of fun trails of all types. You could easily spend a couple days riding there and there are hiking trails that go up into the Superstition wilderness.

Picketpost segment of AZT is one of my favorites. To do the whole point to point is a pretty tough day at around 36mi and 6,ooo ft but highly worth it. Lots of people do out and backs there as well, there are common turn arounds at the 5, 7, 10, 12, 14 mile marks. It is scenic but somewhat tough/technical riding. Flowers should be out at that time.

Hmmmmm Peralta Rd, Gold Canyon and Superstition hiking trails. That's where I'm leaning.

I've ridden the AZT for a 4 day segment ending northbound at Picketpost TH. I remember it being awesome. so tempted to check that out, too.

LOL @ "vanlife doucebag central"

Bumping this...

So evdog...we are thinking that your idea for peralta road car camping for both Superstition hikes and gold canyon MTB sounds pretty good. Is it “nice” out there? Cool camps? Nice views?

I’m not finding tons of info about Gold Canyon online. Can you recommend specific loops or even trailheads that would be accessible from peralta rd/Supes access locations?

Thanks!

Or anyone else have any input?

Yes, I would say the area is nice. Backdrop to the whole area is the Superstition Mtns which are very scenic, especially during the golden hour. Campsites are just pullouts off the main road or other side roads. Lots of them will be filled with RVs, but you should be able to find an open spot that is nice, especially if you look farther from the main road where big RVs can't get to. I'd just try to find something a few hundred feet or more from Peralta.

The only two trailheads I've used are Cloudview (labelled on Trailforks) and Lost Goldmine. LG would be closer but you have to ride Lost Goldmine Trail a ways to get to the rest of the network, and I didn't really like (the east end of) that trail. The nearby Peralta TH is where one of the popular hikes starts. Cloudview TH has closest access to the better parts of the trail system, but you have to drive back out to Hwy 60 and then right into Gold Canyon to get there. There are some jeep roads that lead from Peralta into the trail network, so if you can get a campsite near those you could ride in from there. Take a look at Trailforks to see where those are. I think you can look at routes on TF now too. Also check out my 2017 Thanksgiving TR, day 2 and day 7 were Gold Canyon rides. https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ing-2017-in-AZ

One thing to mention part of Gold Canyon is on AZ State Trust land and you are supposed to get a permit. You'd probably want one to camp out on Peralta. They have a $20 family permit https://land.az.gov/recreational-permit-portal.

@schillingsworth lives not far away and could probably give better advice than me on routes. The trails I liked were Tech Loop, Phantom, Where ya Fromme, Jodi's Dream, K Trail, Hoodoo (more techy-ish trails).