Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Belize fly fishing and family spot on a budget

I searched and seems like its been awhile since we discussed Belize, where I should post up for two weeks (late May through mid June) or so to fish for bones and permit while the rest of my family has something to do? (my young kids love the beach and my wife likes to dive). I'd like to take a guide out for a couple days but ideally be able to walk flats on my own a couple hours a day. My impression is the main place to DIY is Ambergis Caye although i'm not sure we want to spend two weeks there. Can DIY be done on Caye Caulker, Placencia, Hopkins, or some cool place I've never heard of yet? Looks like the Atolls are great fishing and I could swing a couple days at a swanky place but realistically looking for cheap. Thanks!
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

I got your PM, I am running in and out of meetings this morning but I will get back to you as soon as I can. My experiences are central and southern Belize, from Hopkins down to Punta Gorda.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

we enjoyed caye caulker a bit more than ambergris. quieter.
    We’re not super fishermen but I believe the fishing there is the goods as my neighbor is a big fisherman and goes there too. we stayed at a place on caulker-the sea dreams I want to say? it was at the very tip of the island. clean, reasonably priced and owned by a guy from slc area and you can throw a stone and hit water from 3 sides of the island.
    have fun and look fwd to seeing you guys again when the snow starts to melt here!
    skid luxury

The most voracious mosquitos I've ever encountered were on caulker. Can't even think of anywhere else as a close second. It's definitely not a beach island, but diving and fishing were ok

Kokomas, sent you a PM. Let me know if you have more questions, I will reach out to my buddy in Belize tonight and see what I missed. The mosquitos haven't bothered me near as much as the sand fleas! Man I hate those little bastards!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Might be a little more than you’re looking for given the amount of time you’ll be there but food for thought:
    https://www.elpescador.com
    JH folks!

If you go in a different direction, i will likely be down there with M and the kids for spring break in 2020. You guys are welcome to join.

I am very jealous of your travels! This snow has been fun but I’m really over it now. Feeshin needs to turn on! Have fun.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    we enjoyed caye caulker a bit more than ambergris. quieter.
    have fun and look fwd to seeing you guys again when the snow starts to melt here!
    Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    The most voracious mosquitos I've ever encountered were on caulker. Can't even think of anywhere else as a close second. It's definitely not a beach island, but diving and fishing were ok
    b-bear and mcski, did you notice whether there were flats wadable from caulker? looks like no based on google maps but that would be sweet. regarding bugs, what time of year did you go? we are going in middle of wet season in June...not good, not good at all

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Kokomas, sent you a PM. Let me know if you have more questions, I will reach out to my buddy in Belize tonight and see what I missed. The mosquitos haven't bothered me near as much as the sand fleas! Man I hate those little bastards!
    thanks Telee! Placencia/Hopkins looking better and better for a chunk of time

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Might be a little more than you’re looking for given the amount of time you’ll be there but food for thought:
    https://www.elpescador.com
    JH folks!

If you go in a different direction, i will likely be down there with M and the kids for spring break in 2020. You guys are welcome to join.

I am very jealous of your travels! This snow has been fun but I’m really over it now. Feeshin needs to turn on! Have fun.
    Schwerty, I hate to say it but jealousy may increase soon when you seen where we are heading next in Argentina. How long til your first walk on the snake? I have looked at Pescador and have heard of TU buddies enjoying it. Didn't know that about the owners, cool. Realistic possibility for 2020, keep me posted! Staying there or elsewhere? We will be in belize for almost a month so will report findings
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

It's been a long time and I'm no fisherman. Although there are shallows around the island, the shoreline is majority mangrove as I recall. My inclination is it wouldn't meet your objectives. I'm all for an exploratory adventure, but it seems like there are probably other destinations - maybe islands off Honduras that may be better suited?

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    It's been a long time and I'm no fisherman. Although there are shallows around the island, the shoreline is majority mangrove as I recall. My inclination is it wouldn't meet your objectives. I'm all for an exploratory adventure, but it seems like there are probably other destinations - maybe islands off Honduras that may be better suited?
    thanks for helping confirm my suspicion. no flats fishing there. yeah kinda second guessing myself on that but we are locked into Belize and will take what comes, i'm sure it will be great. I can attest Honduras is good for this kinda thing.

Plus Schwerty, it looks like el pescador is running a 2fer special starting just within my window (Jun15-december 14)...that looks tasty. just sent them an email

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    sorry ment to reply earlier
    we stayed just down from el pescsdor on the beach
    on amberguise
    the bones I found were on the backside in the mangroves

while I got limited shots off a couple short piers and places you could get a back cast in wasn't till the last day for I got em to eat

I couldn't justify $500 to el pescador at the time
    as I can fish most western rivers for a week or 2 on that kinda loot
    the hotel busted me for taking a kayak across the road into the mangrove side
    and it was before sups were big
    we did pay bout $250 for 4 of us to take a small boat out on a snorkel fishing
    with a nice jumblyia/ciapino type lunch
    and I got a few shots on a small flat at lunch

did get a nice jack off the boat though

we took a ferry over to caulker one day I don't remember any decent flats
    but saw a few fish

the diving/snorkeling is nice and fairly close
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    sorry ment to reply earlier
    we stayed just down from el pescsdor on the beach
    on amberguise
    the bones I found were on the backside in the mangroves

while I got limited shots off a couple short piers and places you could get a back cast in wasn't till the last day for I got em to eat

I couldn't justify $500 to el pescador at the time
    as I can fish most western rivers for a week or 2 on that kinda loot
    the hotel busted me for taking a kayak across the road into the mangrove side
    and it was before sups were big
    we did pay bout $250 for 4 of us to take a small boat out on a snorkel fishing
    with a nice jumblyia/ciapino type lunch
    and I got a few shots on a small flat at lunch

did get a nice jack off the boat though

we took a ferry over to caulker one day I don't remember any decent flats
    but saw a few fish

the diving/snorkeling is nice and fairly close
    Thanks SFB. Yeah even at the 2 for 1 price I couldn't stomach the El pescador price this time. I'm going to stay a couple miles up in a house near cocobeach. Owner says there are bones in the reef side and that's the best I have to go from.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

since we are going to be down there, thinking I might surprise my wife with a couple days at an all inclusive for our 10th (while my parents are around to watch the kids). Anyone got an opinion on the best place for diy wade fishing and diving for her? I think she might like to dive around LIghthouse Atoll. Looking at Turneffe Flats, Blackbird Caye Resort, Coco Plum, Tarpon Caye Lodge

in retrospect do not listen to my advice on caye caulker as that was thru the lens of snorkeling/diving young couple (we were offered weed within 7 seconds of getting off the boat) and the beach there is not good for little kids like yours
    altho we did not have the mosquito issue. But imagine that can be hellish. We were there in May but I recall it being windy and that always helps keep the skeeters at bay

BUT vicariously enjoying your excellent trip on the other thread as well so keep up the good work!
    skid luxury

Coco Plum
    "and not when I come to die, discover that I have not lived"
    H.D. Thoreau

Thanks for input. Settled on an Airbnb with the parents on Ambergris near El pescador for diy then a splurge at blue marlin resort at the end. Hope to find some fish

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    Thanks for input. Settled on an Airbnb with the parents on Ambergris near El pescador for diy then a splurge at blue marlin resort at the end. Hope to find some fish
    Nice, cant wait to hear how you do! I have another guide option if you get to Hopkins and want to fish out of there, a really attractive option by the way.

If you decide to do a guided day on Ambergris, contact Manuel - http://www.flyfishinginbelize.com/ He grew up on the island, is a great guide and will put you on a lot of fish. $350 is also hard to beat these days.

For DIY, pop over to (not so) secret beach. Park your cart at the Blue Bayou, grab a Belikin and head south. Great flats for miles. Tons of bones.

Love that country. Heading back in a few weeks. Nice to see SW flying direct DEN-BZE.

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Nice, cant wait to hear how you do! I have another guide option if you get to Hopkins and want to fish out of there, a really attractive option by the way.
    Thanks, im bummed to say that we won't be heading down there, would love to meet your friends but with family and kiddos I had to limit the stops

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    If you decide to do a guided day on Ambergris, contact Manuel - http://www.flyfishinginbelize.com/ He grew up on the island, is a great guide and will put you on a lot of fish. $350 is also hard to beat these days.

For DIY, pop over to (not so) secret beach. Park your cart at the Blue Bayou, grab a Belikin and head south. Great flats for miles. Tons of bones.

Love that country. Heading back in a few weeks. Nice to see SW flying direct DEN-BZE.
    Dude, nice, will do both. Thanks

Just got back from Ambergris. Nothing on the reef\windward side was fish-able from the docks or shore\flats as there has been a massive influx of seaweed (Sargassum) this year. It's backed up to the end of the docks in some spots where there is a seawall instead of a beach. Smells terrible on that side as well as areas in town where they've dumped a bunch for it to rot. No issues and perfectly clear on on the west/lagoon side. Caught a bunch of bones on the flats at the resort we were staying at.

Sounds like Mexico is dealing with the Sargassum (Sargasso?) as well and it's even worse on the beaches up there and likely to affect tourism:

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/gov...op-in-tourism/

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    Just got back from Ambergris. Nothing on the reef\windward side was fish-able from the docks or shore\flats as there has been a massive influx of seaweed (Sargassum) this year. It's backed up to the end of the docks in some spots where there is a seawall instead of a beach. Smells terrible on that side as well as areas in town where they've dumped a bunch for it to rot. No issues and perfectly clear on on the west/lagoon side. Caught a bunch of bones on the flats at the resort we were staying at.

Sounds like Mexico is dealing with the Sargassum (Sargasso?) as well and it's even worse on the beaches up there and likely to affect tourism:

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/gov...op-in-tourism/
    Glad you got some fish and thanks for the report. Major bummer for us as we are staying on the reef side. We will be driving the golf cart to the lagoon side each day I guess...

When will you be back out here Kokomas? Runoff is kicking in, finally.

When will you be back out here Kokomas? Runoff is kicking in, finally.
    We fly in July 6th. Looking forward to being home

Cool. M and I bot a ski boat. You guys will have to come enjoy a few cold beverages on the lake with us. (And fish!)

Cool. M and I bot a ski boat. You guys will have to come enjoy a few cold beverages on the lake with us. (And fish!)

Schwerty, this is killer! We are so there, thanks for the invite man. If you are planning on Belize for spring break 2020, like ColMan said, the sargassum is bad. The innkeeper told me it started in February last year and went through November, and it doesn't seem better now. It seems like every other home or lot on the reef side is for sale, pretty crazy. On the plus side, I caught 6 bonefish yesterday blind retrieving from near the scumline and I saw 4 permit cruising around. I'd look into lagoon side lodging, my wife has been pretty bummed out. Secret Beach is beautiful and there are a couple Airbnb's there. Or maybe wherever ColMan stayed. Or maybe Roatan Honduras which seems unaffected.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4876.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	284184

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4877.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	284183