Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Bummer! About the sargassum! Glad you’re finding fish tho!
    Other family going called down there and they can’t hook us up with the deal we we hoping for. I’d say 50/50 right now. Probably revisit 2020 SB in the fall. Got trouts on my mind now!

Ya that sargassum is kicking ass up that whole coast. https://yucatanexpatlife.com/is-sarg...-riviera-maya/

link A dude building houses using sargassum bricks...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Well the fish don't seem to care, waded a flat from the end of a long pier and was standing amongst hundreds of bones. They were just not spooky at all and I caught a bunch up to 3 pounds. Awesome fun. Millions of anchovies or similar, saw some big fish chasing them just of the flats. Maybe Dorado or Mahi Mahi? Not sailfish or dolphins
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    If you decide to do a guided day on Ambergris, contact Manuel - http://www.flyfishinginbelize.com/ He grew up on the island, is a great guide and will put you on a lot of fish. $350 is also hard to beat these days.

For DIY, pop over to (not so) secret beach. Park your cart at the Blue Bayou, grab a Belikin and head south. Great flats for miles. Tons of bones.

Love that country. Heading back in a few weeks. Nice to see SW flying direct DEN-BZE.
    For information, Manuel just told me he is not guiding anymore on amount of his knees. Too bad
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    Schwerty, this is killer! We are so there, thanks for the invite man. If you are planning on Belize for spring break 2020, like ColMan said, the sargassum is bad. The innkeeper told me it started in February last year and went through November, and it doesn't seem better now. It seems like every other home or lot on the reef side is for sale, pretty crazy. On the plus side, I caught 6 bonefish yesterday blind retrieving from near the scumline and I saw 4 permit cruising around. I'd look into lagoon side lodging, my wife has been pretty bummed out. Secret Beach is beautiful and there are a couple Airbnb's there. Or maybe wherever ColMan stayed. Or maybe Roatan Honduras which seems unaffected.
    Nice work on the bones. But yeah, bummer about the Sargassum. It wasn't bad at all in May of last year when I was there with a couple buddies. We had a house on the reef side and it was backed up maybe 1-2 feet from the seawall. The dock looked a lot like your pics when we drove by in our cart this past trip. Sucks! I doubt there will be many buyers for those lots on the reef side unless it somehow doesn't come back next season. The trend seems to be going in the wrong direction.

We stayed at the Hilton (Mahogany Bay). I'm usually anti resort as I can't stand the drink and food prices, can usually get a better deal through AirBnB/VRBO and can cook my own food if I want to. This place was a pleasant surprise with $2.50US Belikins ($1.25US during happy hour). They also had these small buildings they rented to locals who all sold super cheap and awesome food. Avoiding the Sargassum was a plus that we didn't realize when we booked. They have this private beach club (pic) that they take you to by boat on the lagoon side. Zero Sargassum and the same drink prices. Schools of bones right in front of where you are drinking your not so overpriced Belikin. I sound like a f-ing Hilton timeshare salesman, but I would highly recommend it unless there isn't a Sargassum issue. If Sagassum isn't an issue, this is where we usually stay - (https://www.vrbo.com/1037504). Hard to beat a 3bd/5bth home on the water with a private dock/palapa for $195/night.

Name:  IMG_7163.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  94.2 KB

Nice find ColMan, thanks for all the info. I'm in an Airbnb in the reef side called Iguana House and it's very close to the road to secret beach. Paying more than your VRBO, for fewer bedrooms, pays to book early I guess.

Does anyone know a fishing guide on Ambergris Caye they like for flats fishing? I do not want to go through El Pescador and pay $600!

Any luck getting a hold of Manuel at http://www.flyfishinginbelize.com/ ? $350/day on the flats (you bring your own lunch). He usually responds to emails every night - manuelazueta@yahoo.com

He was having some knee issues when we fished with him last year but it didn't affect his polling, etc.

edit: Sorry, guessing you mean w/o a boat. In that case I don't know anyone.

I called Manuel and he doesn't guide anymore unfortunately. He recommended a guy named Jose who didn't answer so the search goes on! When I find someone I'll post here

Belize fly fishing and family spot on a budget

Jacks maybe

edit: that was in reference to the dorado/mahi thing. I’d delete this post and quote the quote, but I can’t figure it out.

Duly noted. Thanks and tight lines.