Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Non-Plug Boot with Lowest Ankle Volume

I've been using Lange RS/RX low volumes for years now, but even with their purported tight fit, I still need an L-pad to take up ankle volume after the break-in period. Are there any boots out there for skinny ankles that aren't plugs? I would like to avoid the hassle of a plug boot setup, but is that the only option left?

why NOT a plug boot. All boots take work to get right, and sounds like with your low volume foot, a low volume boot would be just about perfect out of the box?

plug boot = narrow and stiff. If you need that combo, it should be very close to start with

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    why NOT a plug boot. All boots take work to get right, and sounds like with your low volume foot, a low volume boot would be just about perfect out of the box?

plug boot = narrow and stiff. If you need that combo, it should be very close to start with
    This.

Nothing wrong with a plug boot if it fits. A good fitter can make quick work of one too. And if you want a non-plastic sole, they can put a vibram one or something similar on as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Like a Boss View Post
    I've been using Lange RS/RX low volumes for years now, but even with their purported tight fit, I still need an L-pad to take up ankle volume after the break-in period. Are there any boots out there for skinny ankles that aren't plugs? I would like to avoid the hassle of a plug boot setup, but is that the only option left?
    are you in the right size? I ended up going down to a Lange 26.5 (almost always was a 27.5) and am super happy now.

Just get a zipfit liner. Best upgrade I’ve ever made

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    Just get a zipfit liner. Best upgrade I’ve ever made
    This...

OP, is your current shell fit 5 to 7 mm length?

Custom footbed?

Tried Intuition Plug liners?
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Thanks for all the responses.

I'm a size 10 street, 26.5 shell. Does that sound decent? I guess this is a dumb question asked many times, but how do you measure shell fit? I know you take the liner out, but how do you measure from there? I don't think I want to try a 25.5 as I don't think my toes would survive. I feel like it's the right shell since I basically have to live in the boots (100+ days a season) and comfort is a factor. I just use red Superfeet as footbeds.

I'll look into Zipfits.

Street shoes aren't really a good indication of size as many companies sizes are different lengths, and many people prefer different amounts of room in their street shoe length.

Best bet is to get barefoot, pull the liner out of your ski boot and stand in your shells with your toes lightly brushing the front of your shell when you wiggle them. Now take something that's about 7 mm thick (pencil, pen, some types of sharpie marker) and put it in the space left behind your heel.

Does it fit snugly behind your foot, between your heel and the shell? (Good)

Does it have room to move and wiggle around a very little bit? (Not great, but not bad)

Does it not touch your heel and the back of the shell at the same time? (Bad)

If your in the good, or not bad zone, go get an Intuition Plug liner, heat mold it, and call it a day. This will take up the ankle volume with a very stiff foam that forms exactly to the entirety of your foot, ankle, and lower leg. The plugs are warm, comfy, and hold your heel and ankle like a vise. https://intuitionliners.com/shop/plug-race/ or https://intuitionliners.com/shop/race-hd/

If you're in the bad zone, you need a smaller shell size. Go buy one from a good boot fitter. Then go and buy an Intuition Plug liner, mold it and call it a day. https://intuitionliners.com/shop/plug-race/ or https://intuitionliners.com/shop/race-hd/

If you're in your boots 100 days a year, then your brand new stock liners that come with your boots are toast about half way through your first season in the boots, as a maximum.

Also, at 100+ days a season, you should be in custom footbeds. Stock superfeet are crap for 100+ day seasons. https://www.sidas.com/en/products/21...ustom-pro.html
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 03-05-2019 at 08:50 AM.

Plug boots are f'ing cold.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Plug boots are f'ing cold.
    Am not!
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Am too!
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Get a room!

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Am not!
    When was the last time you skied in plug boots, eh?

Atomic Hawx Ultra and Salomon XMax/S-Max are much tighter in the cuff than the Langes.

Quote Originally Posted by Like a Boss View Post
    Try the Atomic Hawx Ultra and Salomon S/Max (replacement for the X Max), they have about the smallest cuff circumference in non-plug shells these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    When was the last time you skied in plug boots, eh?
    It’s been a while. You in Canada now?

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    It’s been a while. You in Canada now?
    Practicing my Canadian. Got a Europe trip coming up... too embarrassed to be an American. Sorry, excuse me.

Good day, eh? Ten bucks is ten bucks.

I put ten bucks in just to get the tank topped up.

Take a look at the Head Nexo Lyt as a potential option. I’ve had some luck with that and a narrow heel. Another boot to try would be the Nordica Doberman if you prefer a more traditional design. Above all though get a proper footbed, not a drop in, made by someone with some skills.
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

Reputable boot shop just put me in next year's Fischer RC4 Podium GT 130 VFF over the Atomic Hawk or the Salomon. Its a new for next year consumer version of the RC4 race boot. With the vacu fit it sucked way in on my narrow ankles. Interested to see how they ski or the experience of others here.

salomon x-max. you can find great deals on last years xmax race 120/130 with 96mm last but even the regular xmax at 98 has low instep/cuff volume. great boots, kinda wondering if I should have gone with them over the head 140 rs i have, I needed to add bontex shims and foam in the cuff to suck up volume in them where the xmax fit great out of the box. the heads have insane heel lock in the liners though that makes up for it but not low volume.