Silverton inbounds slide this Sunday

I just got word from a buddy who was on-mountain that a guide was buried at Silverton yesterday, Sunday 3/3. I'm gonna tag up with him later to hear more, but curious if anyone else heard any details, was there, etc.

Hope the guide is okay (assuming so). What a crazy storm we had this weekend, and that particular mountain isn't forgiving.

I’m surprised it doesn’t happen more there to be honest. Hope he’s ok

Just saw on their FB that the patroller was conducting an assessment on adjacent terrain when he triggered the slide. Extricated, injured but recovering.

PHEW

name?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

How often do commercial rafting companies who run class 5 report close calls to the public?- never.

Do you think Brill wants all his front range buddies who are throwing down on heli-rides to know how dangerous the skiing there actually is?

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I’m surprised it doesn’t happen more there to be honest. Hope he’s ok

Quote Originally Posted by bovine View Post
    How often do commercial rafting companies who run class 5 report close calls to the public?- never.

Do you think Brill wants all his front range buddies who are throwing down on heli-rides to know how dangerous the skiing there actually is?
    Bovine curious are you a women that skis with Wells lamont leather gloves?
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    Bovine curious are you a women that skis with Wells lamont leather gloves?

No, but even if I was, that wouldn't really narrow down your search for your perfect mate. Best of luck with that.

I thought we might of met over at red mountain pass. similar attitude NTTAWWT. sorrry
    off your knees Louie

Sorry, my bad. I hadn't known their facebook account had been hacked.

All the respect and madness to the SM folks and condolences to whoever got hit.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

My cousin guides commercial raft runs there in Co. His mom has no idea how risky that is hahahaha..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I have a pretty legitimate like/hate relationship with Silverton mtn, been there since the beginning and still visit and bitch when I do (not on the interwebs and not in any way to hamper business, that’s not my jam). With whatever issues I have with those folks and understanding just how dangerous that place is, those folks do a PHENOMENAL job of keeping that place safe while making very clear to their clientele just how dangerous it can be. I personally believe they have some of the industry’s very best and mitigate risk as well as anyone in NA. The Juan’s are no shit and especially in a year like this and those folks keep people skiing and as safe beyond realistic expectations everyday they operate. I will always have some personal issues with their business priorities but as far as safety goes they are absolutely top notch.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    I have a pretty legitimate like/hate relationship with Silverton mtn, been there since the beginning and still visit and bitch when I do (not on the interwebs and not in any way to hamper business, that’s not my jam). With whatever issues I have with those folks and understanding just how dangerous that place is, those folks do a PHENOMENAL job of keeping that place safe while making very clear to their clientele just how dangerous it can be. I personally believe they have some of the industry’s very best and mitigate risk as well as anyone in NA. The Juan’s are no shit and especially in a year like this and those folks keep people skiing and as safe beyond realistic expectations everyday they operate. I will always have some personal issues with their business priorities but as far as safety goes they are absolutely top notch.
    Yep anybody who hangs around patrols with good terrain knows close calls happen. And all this for what $10-20/hr. While you're waiting for good terrain to open thank the patroller who takes those risks. Don't be the whiny bitch.

edit: nvm. slides are serious. Sorry. carry on and stay safe. need coffee.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Most people have no clue how often patrollers go for a ride during control work. Their work is hazardous, which isn't a SIlverton specific issue. Silverton throws more bombs than anyone.

I wish the patroller a swift recovery.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Silverton throws more bombs than anyone in Colorado.
    FIFY

A little bird told me Silverton also had an inbounds slide with 5 people carried (everyone was fine) earlier this season. Shame they don't report it to the CAIC so we can all learn from it.