Warden 13 Toe Issue / Slop

Curious if anyone else has run into this. I've got a set of Warden 13's, have been using them with QST 120 TR boots with the tech toe installed. Had these mounted at a shop (long/painful story there) and tested. Skiied one day, and had a few pre-releases, one of which involved the brakes shearing off. Took it back to shop, retested, same thing happened.

Had some more knowledgeable friends take a look, and the issue seems to be that when the toe height is set "correctly", the toe will eventually loosen up. You can feel/hear the slop/movement after a handful of runs. If I tighten the toe down, way tighter than the manual suggests, the toe stays put. Considering putting some loctite or something on that screw, but curious if I'm doing something wrong or anyone else has seen this.

I had a pair that eventually got replaced on warranty due to toe slop occurring from the toe unit rotating around the axle that attaches it to the pedestal. (bindings on Rossignol Sickles w/ dalbello lupo carbon TI) I did not experience what you are describing, as no amount of tightening the AFD height screw would change the problem I was experiencing. If you do use loctite make sure to let it dry a bit before putting it all back together as the solvent in loctite can deform plastics as it evaporates.

I had problems with toe slop on Guardian MNCs, which have basically the same toe as the Wardens. Solution was to crank the toe down well past recommended height. I did not have the release tested in a shop before or after cranking down the toe.

Are these on pretty wide skis?

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    Are these on pretty wide skis?
    Interesting, glad I'm not the only one. Do the Guardians adjust the height of the toe, or do they move the AFD like Adrenalines do? And nope, they're on some PBJs, and I really wasn't skiing very hard on them that first day.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward_Banana View Post
    Interesting, glad I'm not the only one. Do the Guardians adjust the height of the toe, or do they move the AFD like Adrenalines do? And nope, they're on some PBJs, and I really wasn't skiing very hard on them that first day.
    Guardians adjust the height of the toe. Not sure what the AFDs are like on the Wardens, but the Guardians have a sliding AFD with fixed height that has a rubbery (i.e. slightly squishy) surface. This, combined with rubber AT soles and 122mm-waist skis, made edging on firm-ish snow very difficult without cranking down the toe height.

Yep, that's the same system as the Warden. Interesting, I guess I'll just keep the toes cranked down. Same issue with the Tech and DIN sole, so maybe it just needs more pressure for whatever reason.

I have an older pair that do this if I don't slightly over tighten them. I haven't had anything bad happen other than annoying slop.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Tip on adjusting toe height of any binding that can adjust is to place the boot in the binding and then pull back on the back of the boot to try and “wheelie” the boot toe. THEN place the business card height spacer under the toe and adjust the toe height until you can feel resistance trying to pull out the card while maintaining the pressure on the boot rear cuff in order to lift the boot toe.

There’s been a rash of Attack binding toes not set up properly as well causing looseness and pre-releases due to techs not trying to lift the toe by rear cuff pressure before adjusting the AFD height.