Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ironman Training

If there is one thing more pretentious then talking about CrossFit it has to be talking about Ironman, amirite?
    Technically in these video I'm training for the AlaskaMan which is an Ironman knockoff with a few more miles thrown in for kicks. And about 10,000 more vert feet but who is counting.

It is all about the sport and fun and comraderie and seeing new places right? Or is it about the suffering and character building and story telling?

What say you? Seeing as how there is no triathlon thread here... here ya go.
    Oh and it is all mixed in with moving to Hawaii and homesteading on a piece of raw land that I have to make livable for wife and 2 kids, no pressure. Yes there are centipedes

yes all of the above

moving to the big island full time, what about girdwood ?

let alone smithers

good luck
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Man it takes a lot of effort to pick up and get out of the house for 6 months! So much shit has to disappear: bags to Goodwill , dump run, bags to the shed, dump run, scrub every surface etc. These next two video capture the packing frenzy and excitement of getting of town.

I love Girdwood but it is small and dark and rainy for a LOT of the time. Smithers is nice Al, but for the effort at this point I need to get out of the cold, which Smithers get solid doses of. I think it is funny to go to Kona which is Ironman central to TRAIN for ALASKA ala GSA.

Yeah apparently feb was the coldest feb on record, its a balmy -22C in town and an absolutely scorching -7Cup the hill, I gotta head up to get some air that isnt polluted cuz if i do any training at all I spend a bunch of time coughing

hey would taking my touring bike to the big island april or may (apres ski season) to ride around/camp/ ect be a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Yeah apparently feb was the coldest feb on record, its a balmy -22C in town and an absolutely scorching -7Cup the hill, I gotta head up to get some air that isnt polluted cuz if i do any training at all I spend a bunch of time coughing

hey would taking my touring bike to the big island april or may (apres ski season) to ride around/camp/ ect be a good idea?
    OMG that might be the best thing you ever done did! (right after retiring from IBM and becoming ski bum in Smithers of course)

We heading back march 25 to April 28 so come over then and you can crash at our place and I can give good beta on camp spots etc.

Mandatory training device.

i did a half iron back when the kid was 3...now i'm overweight and out of shape...really hard to believe i moved my carcass 70mi in a day back then. this year, i'm just shooting for getting back to making a 10k run feel like no problem.

props to you for the full distance plus!

good luck with the move!

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Mandatory training device.
    That looks like wicked shoulder workout if anything

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    i did a half iron back when the kid was 3...now i'm overweight and out of shape...really hard to believe i moved my carcass 70mi in a day back then. this year, i'm just shooting for getting back to making a 10k run feel like no problem.

props to you for the full distance plus!

good luck with the move!
    All you can do is make best with what time you have...

And to be clear this video series is a year old and I already did the race last July. I'm just now getting around to getting videos out there and prepping for upcoming training block and video series leading into this years race.

Enjoy!

Getting to the nitty gritty! Now the work begins... Building a couple of structures on raw land all by hand is a workout in itself.

Awesome man. Grew up in Hawaii and miss it so much. I raced tris up until college and it's still one of my most favorite sports. I hope your training goes well and you have a great race!
    パウダーバカ!!

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    It is all about the sport and fun and comraderie and seeing new places right? Or is it about the suffering and character building and story telling?

What say you?
    I trained with a number of San Diego-area tri-geeks back in the 90s (both track and road cycling). They were a pretty chill bunch (Scott Tinley was a dick at times), and, really, it was the posers who were responsible for all the bullshit tri-talk, and not the real athletes. So, in my limited experience, it was all about sport, fun, and comradery when it came to that lot. And I had some fun times with them!
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

I had never done a triathlon until signing up for this race. I'd spent time running and biking but no real swimming training or experience beyond kook surf attempts. So I knew by signing up I was forcing myself to figure out the whole process, pronto.

And yes I almost run the 3 year old over on my skateboard. (there are a few instances of questionable parenting through out series lol)

It starts when you say it out loud then you gotta do it

Before she could walk I used to bounce rosy on my knee at mtn eagle

she is big now

I swear we will get into some solid triathlon training stuff soon! It just goes to show that 'moving to hawaii to triathlon train all winter' is easier said then done. And being set up to Ironman distance train specifically can be a challenge time management wise. But i think it was perfect easing into things just building in the heat let alone running around for 3-5 hours in the heat... we will get there.

Battling the elements trying to get small shack ready for family. We had one month in an air bnb down the street and time was almost up.

Big wave almost wiped the family out at 4:00... still cringe about that one.

Good luck with this, I was in a similar situation 6-8 years ago. Never swam a lap in my life and signed up for a half, lots of pool time ensued. That plus 1 kid with one in the way, getting my MBA, 8-5 job and trying to finish my basement by myself...lots of late nights and early mornings. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

One month in and we are ready to move out of temporary rental and onto our property! It is a little rustic and rough around the edges but good character building for the kids and wife I suspect. Tropical homesteading at it finest!

Which island? An ultra-running buddy lives there, likely Oahu as her husband is Navy, and she can show you some trails and make introductions.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Thanks we on da Big Isle, south Kona

Ironman training... cool.

Should someone should go ahead and preemptively cross list this in Gimp Central?

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    Ironman training... cool.

Should someone should go ahead and preemptively cross list this in Gimp Central?
    You know what will gimp you up real quick?! Centipedes!

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    Centipedes!
    That's gospel. Centipedes will fuck you up quicker than Ironman training.

Now its gonna get all Inception esque up on ya! As predicted I ran out of money and had to go back to work in Alaska for a quick 6 weeks of construction in the cold. So I had to work and train in Alaska to keep the family afloat in Hawaii so I could go back and train for Alaska...

You know what is real good Ironman cross training? Backcountry skiing! Lots of low angle pow for the dentists out there

Finished up work push in AK and joined the family back in the tropics.