Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Gaper -- sounds like you should start a business doing this since you think it would be so easy.

Even if you figured out a cost-effective way to create individual molds, the bottom line is that feet are tricky. Each foot can take a different level of compression, which can change over time. Bone spurs can grow. Injuries can require more punching, etc. With a boot fitter, those can be addressed without buying a new shell.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Gaper -- sounds like you should start a business doing this since you think it would be so easy.

Even if you figured out a cost-effective way to create individual molds, the bottom line is that feet are tricky. Each foot can take a different level of compression, which can change over time. Bone spurs can grow. Injuries can require more punching, etc. With a boot fitter, those can be addressed without buying a new shell.
    This. My 106 left foot fits in 98 boots with no punch. My 107 right foot needs a significant punch. I have much more faith in an experienced human than a cheap 3D scan for getting my boots right. I've had good experiences with a number of boot fitters (and I bet most weren't even "top 100"), despite feet that are shaped/behave quite differently because of a fracture. But I know exactly what I want, and I'm patient. I have no problem making half a dozen visits to get a boot dialed. It's hard for a boot fitter to do a good job if customers A) don't know what they want, and B) are impatient. Maybe a wonder-app can help in such cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Has anyone used this app to measure other appendages besides feet?
    Ya, but I'm too embarrassed to share my numbers.
    "Sure it's not long, but boy is it every skinny"

Alright this is kinda cool. Can someone tell me who makes touring boots that fit my feet based on this magic? I bet I have the highest instep here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190304-173629_Scan-Fit.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	182.9 KB 
ID:	272549

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    A jondrums sighting!! How you been, man?
    whelp, this thread went to shit pretty fast so I don't feel bad about wasting the space responding here - lol. Doing pretty good, skiing a bit less, but whenever I do I am totally hooked again. Now its time for new boots, so the internet gear research has kicked up a notch. Been out of the ski world for a few years, so getting caught back up with latest hotness: cast, shift, phantom, a whole crop of rad boots with tech inserts, etc. Fun to hear from you - I guess you moved, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    whelp, this thread went to shit pretty fast so I don't feel bad about wasting the space responding here - lol.
    Actually the thread went to shit when the app was putting people in the wrong size boots.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    FWIW I think the measurements are probably pretty darn accurate. It’s just their recommendation that follows the measurement that is silly.
    how many times did you repeat it? Cuz I repeated it several times and each dimension differed by several mm each time.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I only repeated it twice. But a mm here or there don’t mean much IMO.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Well, I got up to 4mm different in length and 3 mm different in width. Considering the OP is talking about this in the context of punching and grinding boots, a few mm does mean a lot IME.

Obviously the app is cool enough that I played with it a bunch, so from that standpoint, thanks for sharing OP. But yeah, I think you'd be more accurate with a ruler.

photos

1 mm makes a ton of difference when it comes to boot.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by Jacolac View Post
    Alright this is kinda cool. Can someone tell me who makes touring boots that fit my feet based on this magic? I bet I have the highest instep here.
    I'd try Atomic backlands, or Hawx XTD 130s, or FT ascendants. All have heat moldable shells.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

I have a higher instep, but much wider foot and I'm in a nordica strider, could be something worth looking into.
    SROAM 2014

Great to hear from Jondrums!

I'd be more concerned that your left foot is a full size smaller than your right.

Anyway, wrap liners are the best I've found for instep -- so some tour wraps whenever they're back in stock would be a smart option regardless of boot choice. Some older Tecnica models had super high insteps, but I'm not sure if that's true of the newer ones.

photos