Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    was in girdwood for a long weekend, half a day skiing in the rain at alyeska, couple of super wet storm skiing attempts at turnagain, wind blasted crustiness at hatcher. now back in fbx, snow is melting fast, moose already closed for the season.

this was tincan on sat
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

45deg blasting rain in Gwood... Jed you picked good time for Maui

God hates alaska
    off your knees Louie

whelp that was a fun winter. Good thing I have an ikon pass... California here I come.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    whelp that was a fun winter. Good thing I have an ikon pass... California here I come.
    I'll be in the Trinity Alps next week. Yellow pants blue jacket gold Honda Fit. Ask for change for a nickel.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    we need moisture. Alyeska might not hit 400" this year.
    Well we hit that 400" although a lot if it is sitting in piles at the bottom of run-outs.

Since some of your requests seem to be getting answered, how about wishing us up a COLD, snowy, calm end to these storms before the high pressure moves in. Den

Come on, the forecast isn't so bad...

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...7#.XJKz0YV0Ey4

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    Come on, the forecast isn't so bad...

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...7#.XJKz0YV0Ey4
    Those pictures tell a sad tale, but at this point I could use a little good news, so a short quote from today's extended weather discussion is in order:

"The Sunday low should finally be the last of this pattern, as it
    appears high pressure moves into the Gulf of Alaska early next
    week. Model agreement is good enough in the long term that we are
    confident in the overall pattern."

Dark cloud/Silver lining

Warmth is becoming the norm, living up to the Northern Exposure Alaskan Riviera reference. Scary slide on TinCan North.

You guys ever read this blog:http://ak-wx.blogspot.com/?m=1

Good insight on broader weather patterns. Warming trends are depressing as fuck.

Blergh.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo_2019-03-30_17-30-04.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	276529Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo_2019-03-30_17-30-11.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	167.4 KB 
ID:	276530

Pretty depressing around rage city since getting back from island paradise.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Shit in valdez is rough below 3500, seriously rough hard even for East coast standards. Up top conditions are pretty okay, heard from heli people that shit was good today but from what I saw the heli ops were only skiing 1000 vertical.

Anyone going to rendevous celebration of life Wednesday? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190331_160357_816.jpeg 
Views:	95 
Size:	167.1 KB 
ID:	276667Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190331_133204.jpeg 
Views:	85 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	276668Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190331_100153.jpeg 
Views:	85 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	276669Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190331_091646.jpeg 
Views:	83 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	276670Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190331_160357_815.jpeg 
Views:	97 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	276672

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Educate me on skiing options in late May, please. I understand that flying to somewhere high would be best and would love to do that but lack partners so need realistic ideas. I will be free of a job starting mid may and have 2-3 weeks to do more or less whatever. This period of whatever has to start in Canada (crossing from AK by car at Alcan) and has to end in Fairbanks. Thinking to check out White Pass, Skagway, Haines, then back to "mainland AK" and eventually FBX. Suggestions re. things to do and see? I hear there is good biking around White Horse? Worth bringing bike? White Pass area best bet for skiing on SE AK/Canada leg of trip? How long into spring is Thompson Pass likely to hold up?

This past weekend in the Deltas, bailed on objective bc funky snow (as usual), enjoyed views, company, and sun:

Best snow of the season at skiland last week, I think.

Visit to Thompson Pass early April, forgot how great it is to have road side vert without endless slog approaches and a 3 hour drive.

Got a bump by Tok Air services, nice guy, highly recommended.

Greated by serac fall & very impressive scenery overall

We skied out that way

It was interesting.

^^^ Awesome picts! Thanks for sharing! Spent April 12-19th at mile 45, but were on the pass shortly before me so know what was there then.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Skiing off the road system in late may in Alaska? Unfortunately its not very good... Long daylight and low elevation roads makes for an isothermal mess. Maybe by then It will have gone through the cycle and be summer snow. Depends on the year. I will be working in Cantwell and will probably bring my board with me. May take the bus into the park and try to do some corn skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak_pride View Post
    Skiing off the road system in late may in Alaska? Unfortunately its not very good... Long daylight and low elevation roads makes for an isothermal mess. Maybe by then It will have gone through the cycle and be summer snow. Depends on the year. I will be working in Cantwell and will probably bring my board with me. May take the bus into the park and try to do some corn skiing.
    Loved the easy access stuff off the first few miles of the park road (before savage river) well into May last year. Never really got into shape this year, as far as I can tell. Open to Teklanika currently afaik, was wondering if it might be worth biking in a bit to see if there is any snow on cathedral mtn or something. Rainbow Basin also was pretty good for access in May/June last year.

Moskitos have arrived, ugh.

awesome

awesome images

Wicked photos as usual Klar. Hey if you ever get down Terrace way let me know. Even if I'm not there I could arrange partners/guides for you. There's skiing potential year round with a bit of effort. I'll be there full time in Sept. Keep up the solid work Klar!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Headed to Girdwood in March is there a thread to monitor conditions and stoke?

Quote Originally Posted by skialpy View Post
    Headed to Girdwood in March is there a thread to monitor conditions and stoke?
    Not currently. Right now it’s like -5 and blue. Sort of a weird season so far. Starting to get more snow than rain.

They opened Tram Pocket yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    They opened Tram Pocket yesterday!
    member when Alyeska would open in November and Christmas Chute would open around Christmas and New Years Chute would open at all?

I member
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

We are looking for a crew member to work on our commercial Salmon set-netting operation this summer in Bristol Bay. Preferably from Alaska, preferably with some experience, but the experience is not totally necessary.

All travel to and from Dillingham is paid for, all meals, as well as housing in a rudimentary cabin (no electricity, but we do have delicious running water from a hillside spring on the tundra and flushing toilets!) Additionally, at the end of the season (June 10 - August 10) you will be paid a percentage of the total profits.

We'd love to find someone 18 - 35. You must be fit, a team player, and willing to work your ass off, seriously, it's hard work and sometimes you're working all night long with little sleep over multiple days.

PM if interested or if you know someone who might be interested.

Thanks.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

Good luck getting anyone to dillingham. Isn’t the no rural travel still in effect.