Best Warm and Thin Liner Gloves

Anyone got an opinion on the best thin liner gloves (to be worn under mittens) that are warm? My hands get ridiculously cold - even in Mercury Mitts, I'm using handwarmers on colder days, and when I have to take my hands out (to buckle something, get something out of a pocket, etc.) they freeze. Seems like it would be good to have a thin liner glove on underneath to help in that situation and also to add a little extra warmth.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Disposable latex gloves (i.e. doctor's gloves). They're cheap and they add way more warmth than you would expect.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Disposable latex gloves (i.e. doctor's gloves). They're cheap and they add way more warmth than you would expect.
    This. Vapor barrier just works.

do your gloves get wet inside from sweat and then the insulation doesn't work?

i use the vinal gloves 7$ for a box of 100
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

+1 toeveryone else, I find the black nitrile mechanics gloves (usually turned inside out) slide in and out of gloves easier than rubber or vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    do your gloves get wet inside from sweat and then the insulation doesn't work?

i use the vinal gloves 7$ for a box of 100
    No, sweat doesn't seem to be an issue. My gloves are never wet (except in really warm spring conditions, but then coldness isn't an issue). I just think I don't have great circulation to my fingers and that's getting worse as I get older. Latex/vinyl gloves are an interesting idea but seem like they'd get uncomfortable (either sweaty or pinchy - I'm a hairy dude). I'll give it a try, though. Those white ones posted above were more what I have in mind, IF they work.

EDIT: And the white ones above are out of stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    No, sweat doesn't seem to be an issue. My gloves are never wet (except in really warm spring conditions, but then coldness isn't an issue). I just think I don't have great circulation to my fingers and that's getting worse as I get older. Latex/vinyl gloves are an interesting idea but seem like they'd get uncomfortable (either sweaty or pinchy - I'm a hairy dude). I'll give it a try, though. Those white ones posted above were more what I have in mind, IF they work.

EDIT: And the white ones above are out of stock.
    Smartwool or Icebreaker or any wool company will sell liners. Also, larger retailers will have synthetic ones which should last longer.

^^^Yes....

Look at cabellas. I have a pair from them that work well, and you can even use your phone.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

This works for me. Give it a try

I had no idea so many people were skiing around the mountain wearing latex gloves. Kinda creepy.

Best Warm and Thin Liner Gloves

Second nitrile. Box from autozone is cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Can someone explain to me why latex gloves work so well? I had never even heard of this

Google vapor barrier for heat.

Nitrile works pretty well for me, but only if my hands are already sweating. VB doesn't do anything if you're not even sweating.

I switched to using these new TNF Gore-Tex liners. Forgot what it was, but it's a brand new material from Goretex. Loving them so far. Every other pair of liners I have rip at the fingertips.

If I'm wearing Nitrile, you better believe I'm sweating.

In case op wanted some input that's not from fetlife -

I like to tour in thin liners that are pretty warm on cold days. I've gone through quite a few. The most durable merino ones I've found are REI's gray merino liners. Pretty toasty for how thin they are. IMHO don't buy smartwool or icebreaker. I got a few pairs for free and blew them out the first week both brands. BD used to make great ones but they discontinued them.

Getting synthetic gloves will almost certainly be warmer, though. I've had good luck with polartec powerstretch. You can get them from just about every brand, include a lot of discount brands. FWIW - the OR ones lasted a long ass time - would probs still be going but I lost them. They're spendy - got em as liners in a pair of used gloves.

I'd just use an STP coupon and get the cheapest pair of polartec fuckers online right now

Quote Originally Posted by terpskier View Post
    Can someone explain to me why latex gloves work so well? I had never even heard of this

if you got an unfinished basement go downstairs and look at the wall, the first thing you see is the plastic vapor barrier and behind that the insulation

I also use the chemical toe warmers in gloves or mitts, I stick em to the top of the glove, IME they work > hand warmers because they don't fall out of the glove or leave charcoal residue on your figures, the ski club sticks em to timing gear and iphones on cold days

I posted the vapor barrier tip a long time ago, not sure where I got it from

Fuck latex. Sure they keep your hands warm, but what a fucking sweaty mess that would be. Can not imagine skiing and/or hiking with my hands wrapped in that shit. I can barely keep them on long enough to do some fiberglass work on my boards.

In my experience, any thin polartech or merino liner will add a ton of warmth to a glove. I was rocking some super thin Solly liners for a few years until I broke through the finger tips. It was basically nylon, and even those made a big difference.

well my gloves are a sweaty mess with OR without vapor barrier the difference is whether or not my hands are warm

IME the vinal gloves get destroyed pretty quick hiking up, maybe nitrile are more hardy ?

but then my hands stay warmer hiking and/or I bring 2 or 3 pair and I swap em

and actualy IME the hands seem to get used to being in a sweat box and sweat less
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

I posted the vapor barrier tip a long time ago, not sure where I got it from
    Probably Mom making you use bread bags inside your winter boots when you were a kid and went out to play in the snow for a day...

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Fuck latex. Sure they keep your hands warm, but what a fucking sweaty mess that would be. Can not imagine skiing and/or hiking with my hands wrapped in that shit. I can barely keep them on long enough to do some fiberglass work on my boards.
    It's a bit different when it's -30 F.