Snow riding tire pressure question

I have to get in bike shape to take a bunch of kids to Moab on spring break. Tried to lower the tire pressure on my first attempt tonight and quickly blew the bead on my tubeless set up. Any tricks for running these low pressures on a non fat bike tire.

How low are you going that you're blowing beads quickly? If you're below 17-18psi, it's probably just not really going to work. And even at those pressures, if you're not running a tire with a heavier casing, it's probably not going to last very long. Tire inserts (cush core, etc.) will let you run a bit lower without issues.

Depends a lot on how much you weigh and how big the tires are. And then other stuff like the casing and how they fit on the rims and the gauge you're using.

A guy who only weighs 140lbs can ride a 2.2 at 15psi just fine probably, especially in soft conditions.

For me if it's snowy/muddy/soft/slippery I'm comfortable going down 2-3psi from usual.

Check out this guy's website and blog, he does a lot of fat bike snow riding on <5psi. https://lacemine29.com/

Wanna borrow my Ice Cream Truck for a bit?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thanks for the generous offer! I don’t want to be responsible for someone else’s stuff. I’ll get it right with my old altitude!

Just ride early in the AM, when it’s still hard. I rode to the Bell’s this morning and it was getting soft by 11.