Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any good Audiobook recs?

Anyone have some good audio book recs?
    The huzband surprised me with a fancy desert hotel stay this weekend but it's a long drive

I'm usually a 100% non fiction reader but am up for some fiction too if there are some good recommendations

Thanks gang
    skid luxury

This place has seriously gone to hell

Don Winslow trilogy. It's fiction based on non-fiction about the war on drugs on our southern borders that gives a bit of insight. Some cringe-worthy stuff, but only because it is based on true events. Last book in trilogy just came out and AB supposed to be out.
    #1-Power of the Dog
    #2-The Cartel
    #3-The Border

If this is too violent, I got nothing atm.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    Don Winslow trilogy. It's fiction based on non-fiction about the war on drugs on our southern borders that gives a bit of insight. Some cringe-worthy stuff, but only because it is based on true events. Last book in trilogy just came out and AB supposed to be out.
    #1-Power of the Dog
    #2-The Cartel
    #3-The Border

If this is too violent, I got nothing atm.
    thanks will chk out

and Woodsy can suck my vagina. if you were really OG you'd know
    skid luxury

Audiobooks my wife has enjoyed lately:

Roots (Fantastic book by Alex Haley. Narrated by Avery Brooks!!!)
    Crazy Rich Asians
    Ready Player One
    Outlander
    Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race
    The Good Earth (I listened to this one with her and really got into it. Nearly 90 year old book by Pearl S. Buck about life in rural China back in the early 1900s.)
    The Game of Thrones series

She's listened to a ton more, but these are the ones she rattled off for me real quick. Should be enough to get you started. Do you have an Audible subscription?

thanks Roots and The Pearl S Buck book and such could be a good time to tick off some longer classics
    I did an audible subscription for a couple months last summer bc I would do a lot of listening while hiking/ running but then cancelled bc of too many good podcasts
    Does your wife have a longer commute these days now that you moved or just an abook nut?
    skid luxury

The Aubrey Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian is fabulous. At least if you're at all interested in sailing and 18th century naval warfare. It's the best historical fiction I've ever found.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    thanks Roots and The Pearl S Buck book and such could be a good time to tick off some longer classics
    I did an audible subscription for a couple months last summer bc I would do a lot of listening while hiking/ running but then cancelled bc of too many good podcasts
    Does your wife have a longer commute these days now that you moved or just an abook nut?
    Excellent choices! My wife's gotten a TON of book time in over the last couple years from nursing two babies that we had super close together. Any time she'd have to get up in the middle of the night to feed the kid, she'd just pop her headphones on. Also likes to listen to Audible while doing house work. Pretty nice now that the service works on Sonos too, so now we can listen to it all over the house! Except Game of Thrones or Outlander now that the kids are getting older. Haha. Haven't listened to it, but apparently Outlander gets pretty steamy. Gotta wear the headphones for those ones she says.

Excellent audiobook - why Buddhism is true: the science and philosophy of meditation and enlightenment. Robert Wright

Just started listening to The Help today. Got it from the library, 18 CDs!. Never saw the movie but so far the book is great.

If you haven't yet, Life by Keith Richards, which is read by Johnny Depp for about five chapters, then an Irish actor I forget his name, but ends with Keith himself doing the last chapter and Tom Waits does a cameo. Highly entertaining real life story by the luckiest guy in the world.

The Goldfinch, by Donna Tartt (a novel). The reader on the audio version is excellent.
    https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Goldf...ook/B00ELMXI0M

I dug Paddle your Own Canoe by Nick Offerman.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post

and Woodsy can suck my vagina. if you were really OG you'd know
    Just because that is as close to a melt down as I've ever seen out of Baby B. And D-day certainly is OG...Phunk, toaster, Frozen, nipples, BobMC, ducks...that type of stuff.

I used to have a long commute (1 hr each way). Listened to a lot of audio books. Occasionally downloaded but I preferred to get them at the public library, free and I found it easier to browse the offerings.

I’d suggest paying real attention to the length of the book. If you’re driving a total of 10 hrs you don’t want a fifteen hr book.

Mysterys like Steven King, John Sanford or Lee Child worked well. Non fiction and biographies, David McCollough (sp) was a favorite. Short story anthologies fit the bill too. Enjoyed listening to AdIran McKinty, Cormac McCarthy, Bernard Cornwell, and Jon Steinbeck too. Don Quixote was a push at around 40 hrs but what the hello had the time.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Hamilton, read by the author, Ron Chernow, the book that started it all.

Trevor Noah's book is really good. It can get heavy, but is mostly funny, and really well narrated.

Because I can only listen to an audio book for so long, I'll also suggest Last Podcast On The Left. The Biggie/Tupac episodes are a good start. Some of the serial killer ones can get a little...IDK, cringe-worthy?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I listen to a lot of David Baldacci while driving
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

My wife has been loving the series by Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling writing under a nom de plume). The first one is called The Cuckoo’s Calling I think.

I prefer to listen to more fun, plot-oriented books while driving than some of the more literary classics. It's harder to get into symbolism, metaphors, big digressions, long descriptions, etc when you have to pay attention to something else like driving.

The every increasingly inaccurate "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Trilogy" Now in five volumes. Enough hilarious entertainment to drive to the Gobi and back.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Any good Audiobook recs?

Steve Martin narrates “Born Standing Up”. Very entertaining. We did a trip to the desert like you, so we rented “Emerald Mile” and found it really boring and skipped forward a lot.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Just because that is as close to a melt down as I've ever seen out of Baby B. And D-day certainly is OG...Phunk, toaster, Frozen, nipples, BobMC, ducks...that type of stuff.
    huh? figured I was giving him what he wanted- vulgarity and baseless elitism. I thought that's what he was referring to with the comment "this place has gone to shit" pffft- skiers that like books and shit. that is hellish and obviously ruining this place

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I prefer to listen to more fun, plot-oriented books while driving than some of the more literary classics. It's harder to get into symbolism, metaphors, big digressions, long descriptions, etc when you have to pay attention to something else like driving.
    that is a solid call

Steve Martin, trevor noah, nick offerman all good recs. I think you are right- go funny and entertaining. I have always loved the hitchhikers series too

Thanks gang. Helped me narrow it down from the zillion offerings. But dang forgot how expensive audiobooks are! might have to re-up that audible membership for the month then cancel
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Just started listening to The Help today. Got it from the library, 18 CDs!. Never saw the movie but so far the book is great.
    Good mention of going to the local library. Just need a CD player in your car. Some newer cars come without it now.
    We use Amazon Prime to get free audio books.
    Limited selection for free but we always find a few gems.
    Amazing how wrapped up we get on these while driving 5.5 hours to the ski hill. I still remember alot of the stories too. Good stuff.

If it's a long ride, War and Peace by Tolstoy.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I just remembered that way back, I listened to Mark Twain's Roughing It on cassetes when driving through Utah, Wyoming, and Colorado. All about his first trip out west. Fascinating and, of course, funny. Loved his take on the Mormons.