Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Last edited by Peruvian; 03-01-2019 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gerritkwood View Post
    It's also my friend's car, which complicates things further.
    wait, you drove a friend's car from SF and rekked it?
    or
    you are with your friend & his/her insurance doesn't really cover it?

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    poutine jeans

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    poutine jeans
    Name:  buddsbuddy-baby-skincarewet-wipes-100pcs-pack-500x500.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  29.8 KB

You could've just staid in Golden - should take the feds a couple years to decide you need to leave.

.. actually with our government it may take a couple decades.

no thats the Phonex pay system that will take decades
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    wait, you drove a friend's car from SF and rekked it?
    or
    you are with your friend & his/her insurance doesn't really cover it?

First one. We swapped cars (his is bigger with a bed in the back, and more snow worthy; although the latter didn't quite work out) and I was gonna pay him some $$ for the extra miles and donate a nice set of winter tires.
    Second one is kinda true though: since the car is old he didn't carry collision insurance (should've pushed for that and paid the extra premium myself, oh well...), so now i owe him a car and a bed setup.

EDIT: On my way back to SF, yay! After a day of luggage shopping and police/consulate visits on Friday, I made it to the Calgary airport today and made it through US Customs and Border Protection. They were nice enough to waive the $585 dollar fee that's normally required for the "transportation letter" you need when you lose your Green Card.

Getting to the airport with all my shit was a bit of a struggle. I managed to consolidate everything into 1 giant ski bag (no wheels), 1 giant duffel bag, 1 giant roller suitcase, 1 60L backpack, 1 30L backpack and one bootbag (hope the hostel liked the free snow chains and beat up 2008 K2 Public Enemy skis I left ...). The bus stop was only 400m away so I figured that was preferable over a cab/uber. Definitely underestimated the suffering involved in those 400 meters.

I also got into a Catch 22 situation where the Border Patrol said I first needed to get the boarding pass before they could give me the transportation letter, and United said I couldn't get a boarding pass without the Green Card or the letter. Border Patrol suggested I try another airline (already paid for my United ticket so no thanks), while United suggested I get an ESTA tourist visa (which is lieing to customs and jeopardizing my permanent resident status so no thanks). Had to make a bit of a scene at United for them to make an exception and give me a boarding pass first. After that things were smooth (if you count watching WWE for 1.5 hours while waiting in secondary inspection as an enjoyable experience).

Glad to put this to an end and focus on what to do for the next ~2 weeks!
    (aside from scouring craigslist for a used 4Runner)
    Last edited by gerritkwood; 03-02-2019 at 03:48 PM.

Just made the connection that I'd met and skied with Gerrit at Big Sky last week.

Glad you're ok buddy.

Bummed your road trip has been curtailed and we won't be seeing you at Crystal.. yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Glad you're ok and are on your way back, but I really feel like you went about this all wrong. Seemed like a really good excuse to settle down in Golden indefinitely.
    It sucks to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinSki View Post
    Glad you're ok and are on your way back, but I really feel like you went about this all wrong. Seemed like a really good excuse to settle down in Golden indefinitely.
    Agreed. Opportunity knocked and he flew away.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point