View Poll Results: Do you measure slope angles in the mountains?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, frequently

13 24.53%
  • yes, occasionally

21 39.62%
  • yes, but rarely

13 24.53%
  • no; I don't ski/ride/travel in uncontrolled avalanche terrain

1 1.89%
  • no; I do ski/ride/travel in uncontrolled avalanche terrain, but I don't measure slope angles

5 9.43%
  • I haven't really, but I might give it a try

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    @isbd - thanks for pointing out Dioptra. Awesome app. I had previously been using "Clinometer" also an Android app.

OP - this thread should be in the slide zone.

... Thom

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Same here. The Dioptra app is pretty cool. Just downloaded it and played around with it around our shop area. Thanks isbd.

I always tell folks to take their inclinometer out a measure a lot of slopes to develope their terrain angle eyeballs. It's a good preseason training thing. Measure your garage roof. Every time you pull your car out take a second a memorize that angle in your brain.

Walking out on a slope convexities to measure looking down slope can be tricky and dangerous. Be VERY careful when you do this, since you'll likely be on the major stress point of the slope.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Back to the original question, I'll check slope if it's an area that is steep enough to be concerned. With us, we're generally meadow-skipping on 25-30 slopes that we know well and, aside from some smaller terrain traps we are aware of and avoid, have never been a problem. As I tell my wife, we choose slopes that are historically documented as never having slid in the history of mankind. Obviously, not always the case and when we do venture into unfamiliar territory with steeper pitches, it's in low conditions and I do take a slope as much from curiosity as anything. Rarely are we in the 35-40 range.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    From what I have read and been told, phone interference with beacons occurs primarily with the beacon in search mode and is HIGHLY related to how close the devices are physically; at 10cm distance this interference may be significant, by ~50cm it's negligible. I suppose this could bite you if you were holding your phone and beacon in the same hand during a search but my arm is longer than 50cm and my phone stays in airplane mode in my pocket. I have practiced and do practice searching using my beacon with my phone off, fully on, and on but airplane mode; I have not seen a discernible difference in search effectiveness. So on the one hand, I've read some things about some devices interfering with some beacons in some circumstances; on the other hand, I have plenty of actual experience effectively performing beacon searches with my real every day bc kit, which includes my phone. Anecdotally, of all the people I've ever toured with, not one powers off their phone completely or has ever asked me to do so (or even mentioned doing so). So I don't worry too much about it, and phone app clinometers are nice.
    Yup. Definitely do your beacon check with how your phone will be running on your tour. I do airplane mode and if there are any search issues, it's powered off. A buddy's phone halves his search distance when it's powered up, sending/receiving (non airplane mode).

I run both Dioptra and Clinometer. It's good to train your eyes from both perspectives.

... Thom

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Back to the original question, I'll check slope if it's an area that is steep enough to be concerned. With us, we're generally meadow-skipping on 25-30 slopes that we know well and, aside from some smaller terrain traps we are aware of and avoid, have never been a problem. As I tell my wife, we choose slopes that are historically documented as never having slid in the history of mankind. Obviously, not always the case and when we do venture into unfamiliar territory with steeper pitches, it's in low conditions and I do take a slope as much from curiosity as anything. Rarely are we in the 35-40 range.
    One of the Sheep Creek avalanche accident guys told his wife the same thing...

Could somebody please do a refresher post on current info related to phones and transceiver interference, preferably in a standalone thread? I have some ignorant confusion. I believe tremper spoke about it and addresses in his new book. I used to do airplane mode. Lately, I’ve kept it off. I like using it for quick pictures.

I have a suunto compass with a slope meter that I carry in a pants pocket. I pull it out frequently. It has helped me and has been a clear component of me backing off an objective.

Don't, but probably should to at least train the eyes to be better at guessing slope.

What i do pay very much attention to, is run outs and traps.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    One of the Sheep Creek avalanche accident guys told his wife the same thing...
    Wow, I didn’t know that, and I didn’t read that in the reports/articles I read.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

My kid gave me one of them angle/thermometers that straps to your pole so did a tour on boxing day hit the button and its dead

it wasn't really dead they just don't work when its colder than -20C

i gotta dig that thing out and try it again
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Wow, I didn’t know that, and I didn’t read that in the reports/articles I read.
    She said it at a "survivors/PTSD" clinic this past summer.

She said it at a "survivors/PTSD" clinic this past summer.
    Drift: Are those clinics common?

A friend of a friend was a survivor (and first responder) of the Durrand glacier incident. Seems this person had been (and still may) want to participate in such a clinic.

I measure slope angles habitually. It’s a fun and easy game to play to see how well my eyes gauge reality. Any and all tools that get backcountry skiers to slow down and pay attention to the snowpack, weather and terrain help create a safer experience for all.

It matters.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Drift: Are those clinics common?

A friend of a friend was a survivor (and first responder) of the Durrand glacier incident. Seems this person had been (and still may) want to participate in such a clinic.
    No, their not comman. This was a panel discussion at an event not for survivors, but for patrollers/s&r/CAIC types.

Slope Angles — Do you measure 'em? How important are they?

No, their not comman. This was a panel discussion at an event not for survivors, but for patrollers/s&r/CAIC types.
    Thanks for the additional info.

Looks like dioptra is android only. Are you iPhone users using clinometer or something else?

^ our local avy center has one built into the "take a picture" function in that app, but otherwise I use Steve's Badass Avalanche Inclinometer, I think in the app store as just AvyInclinometer or something

Quote Originally Posted by cdubski View Post
    Looks like dioptra is android only. Are you iPhone users using clinometer or something else?
    Theodolite for sighting up/down slopes. Steve's badass clinometer or whatever it's called is for on slope measurement (it stores gps coordinates of each measurement). Or pole stickers. Or compass with clinometer.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk