Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    you ever tried that^^ ?

I actulay know what happens cuz i tried it

Scraping the silicone off was a real bitch cuz it does not come off easy like hot glue

and then the goldlabel didnt stick to the skin
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The ones on the rightClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8921.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	599.7 KB 
ID:	355030

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    I did the hot iron thing last year and it made a big improvement. I did it with parchment paper; if there is still too much glue, I might try it with paper bag method with soaks up some of the glue. Parchment paper brought them closer to what new was like, certainly evened the glue out again. I pull of the blobs when I get the chance heh
    IME re-ironing of the old glue may work for awhile but really its time to reglue

get a tube ( i alwasy have 2) of goldlabel, strip all the old glue off with heat gun/putty knife,

reglue and heat it in with a medium hot iron

I think what happens is the glue hydrolyzes which is why you want to keep your glue dry

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    you ever tried that^^ ?

I actulay know what happens cuz i tried it

Scraping the silicone off was a real bitch cuz it does not come off easy like hot glue

and then the goldlabel didnt stick to the skin
    No, a friend tried it with some Salomon glueless skins but ended up selling them with the skis, not sure if the Gold Label stuck or not.

Also love the old G3 although most people seem to hate them.

I hate the BD String w/ Metal Triangle. Junk. That's what is on this pair of skins I can't identify. I have some cable kits lying around and you just motivated me to switch them

Lemme go take a picture.

I did the hot iron thing last year and it made a big improvement. I did it with parchment paper; if there is still too much glue, I might try it with paper bag method with soaks up some of the glue. Parchment paper brought them closer to what new was like, certainly evened the glue out again. I pull of the blobs when I get the chance heh
    Think those are the Ultralight Mix.

Try ironing twice - first with parchment, pull it while still warm to get the funky layer off. Then again with Black Diamond transfer paper (the stuff that comes on their new skins) and let it cool before pulling.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    IME re-ironing of the old glue may work for awhile but really its time to reglue

get a tube ( i alwasy have 2) of goldlabel, strip all the old glue off with heat gun/putty knife,

reglue and heat it in with a medium hot iron

I think what happens is the glue hydrolyzes which is why you want to keep your glue dry
    Any reason to use the tube of goldlabel rather than the iron-on goldlabel transfer paper they sell aside from price? ive never reglued skins. new territory for me

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Think those are the Ultralight Mix.
    Ultralight Mix huh. Ok well I hate them.

Try ironing twice - first with parchment, pull it while still warm to get the funky layer off. Then again with Black Diamond transfer paper (the stuff that comes on their new skins) and let it cool before pulling.
    Are these instructions to improve the existing glue situation, or to remove old glue and re-glue with fresh? The only BD transfer paper I can find online have instructions for removing the existing glue first then using the paper to apply new glue

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.co...30000ALL1.html

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    No, a friend tried it with some Salomon glueless skins but ended up selling them with the skis, not sure if the Gold Label stuck or not.
    IME just rub yer hand over the skin glue and the glue comes off easily i think the skins were faction, i have a large ball ( 1 tube ) of skin glue from that stilborn attempt to fix glueless skins which i will post a pic of if i can find it

the skins belonged to an unnamed bro who is extremely hard on gear, they were past washing covered in doghair/ dirt/pine needles and completely useless so it was worth a try

i think he said the skins got overheated above the stove on a hut week

Are these instructions to improve the existing glue situation, or to remove old glue and re-glue with fresh? The only BD transfer paper I can find online have instructions for removing the existing glue first then using the paper to apply new glue
    To try to save the existing glue. The transfer paper I am talking about is the stuff that comes on new BD skins that people normally throw away, not with the glue sheets (maybe it is the same, but I only use the tubes).

Any reason to use the tube of goldlabel rather than the iron-on goldlabel transfer paper they sell aside from price? ive never reglued skins. new territory for me

Ultralight Mix huh. Ok well I hate them.

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.co...30000ALL1.html
    yeah the reason to use a tube of glue instead of transfer sheets is the price, you can check online but a tube of glue is about 1/4 the price of transfer sheet glue, either of them still needs to be heated in which is why its called hot glue

i saved those pieces of skin-backing paper that came on the skins but eventualy they rip, so baking parchment has always worked fine for me, its just a way to make a smoove surface on the glue with the iron

somebody said your don't even need the parchment or backing paper so of course i tried it AND he was right it works

but if you are spreading new glue you want to apply many small beads of glue to spread the tube out evenly between the 2 skins and parchment or skin backing whatever you have will help you get it flat/even and smoove

the beautiful shiny smoove glue only lasts till you put the skins togetehr the first time

Iron the glue to remove moisture and maintain coverage. Eventually the glue gets beyond saving (sticking to itself and ski bases more than is tolerable), which is time to sell to some dirtbag for cheap and buy new. Re applying glue (sheets or tube) is way too time consuming and doesn’t make em good as new.

Nothing earth-shattering, but a good overview. The "Mediocre" boys on skins (spoiler alert - Pomoca):

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Nothing earth-shattering, but a good overview. The "Mediocre" boys on skins (spoiler alert - Pomoca):

... Thom
    Good one. I like the comparisons. High praise for pomoca. Saving that

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I wouldn't discount Coltex and Contour either, given my anecdotal and wholly unscientific comments in post #16.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

I wouldn't discount Coltex and Contour either, given my anecdotal and wholly unscientific comments in post #16.

... Thom
    Oh right. You were saying the pomoca grip and glide slightly better, but close. I see rhose coltex tail clips come undone ez. Bd's come off occasionally but so far they seem to be some of the more secure tail clips. Maybe there is something better though?

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Oh right. You were saying the pomoca grip and glide slightly better, but close. I see rhose coltex tail clips come undone ez. Bd's come off occasionally but so far they seem to be some of the more secure tail clips. Maybe there is something better though?

Real hard to say with certainty, since my buddy's uphill technique is better than mine, but they definitely fit much, much closer to the green Pomocas than to nylon skins.

I'm really curious however (if my COVID season isn't a bust), to cut down some nylon skins for a narrower width ski in the Spring. Maybe that's a slot where 100% nylon makes sense?

... Thom
    Galibier Design

G3 Alpinists are super reliable and sturdy.

I've also been enjoying the Pomoca S-Glides (with MountainFlow Skin Wax) this season and really enjoying them.

Real hard to say with certainty, since my buddy's uphill technique is better than mine, but they definitely fit much, much closer to the green Pomocas than to nylon skins.

I'm really curious however (if my COVID season isn't a bust), to cut down some nylon skins for a narrower width ski in the Spring. Maybe that's a slot where 100% nylon makes sense?

... Thom
    With bd atleast ive settled on the mohair/nylon mix. Less bulky and better glide than the full nylon . I liked the glide on the full mohairs but theyre very fragile. Ive managed to rip those far too ez

Quote Originally Posted by TWODIEFOUR View Post
    G3 Alpinists are super reliable and sturdy.

I've also been enjoying the Pomoca S-Glides (with MountainFlow Skin Wax) this season and really enjoying them.
    Another pomoca thimbs up is looking good. Sounds like g3 has some decent options now. Ive just seen too many problems with them for years and years to chance it. Even though theres several good reports now id be pissed if i bought some and the old issues arose

Love my contour hybrid mix.

The pink pomocas are the shit. Even better than the s-glides. Better glide. Insanely light. Pack up tiny. Sightly less grip.

I've been using some Fischer-branded Kohlas too this season. The grip/glide is pretty damn good- solid grip. Better glide than BD mixes. Similar performance to the aqua Pomocas, I think. But the glue is sub par. I've always thought people who complain about how hard it is to pull their skins apart were just whiners and weaklings. But these things are ridiculous. I need to inject steroids into my ass on every lap so I have enough strength to rip them apart. And they don't stick to my skis all that well either. Tip and tail attachments are working fine, but I can see how they might not work well on certain tip/tail shapes.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    The pink pomocas are the shit. Even better than the s-glides. Better glide. Insanely light. Pack up tiny. Sightly less grip.

I've been using some Fischer-branded Kohlas too this season. The grip/glide is pretty damn good- solid grip. Better glide than BD mixes. Similar performance to the aqua Pomocas, I think. But the glue is sub par. I've always thought people who complain about how hard it is to pull their skins apart were just whiners and weaklings. But these things are ridiculous. I need to inject steroids into my ass on every lap so I have enough strength to rip them apart. And they don't stick to my skis all that well either. Tip and tail attachments are working fine, but I can see how they might not work well on certain tip/tail shapes.
    Pinks eh? Narrowing the search!! Are they a struggle to pull apart?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Love my contour hybrid mix.
    Ive heard good reports. Not sure, i think the tail clips were getting lost? Maybe that was something else

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post

Fold each skin in thirds on itself, not to the other skin. Makes it much easier. Old Pro Tip. You're welcome.

I do that!! Its the "old" part of my shoulders that make it hard

What's a good quick wax to remove skin glue off the ski bases when you want to transition to descend? Last wk I had a major issue with the skin glue making the skis very grabby.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk