Thread: Greyhounds

Greyhounds

My dogs are faster than yours.
    Suck it

Also great pets.

Cool vid. OK, a long time ago we wanted to adopt one, and we were told they run away after chasing something, so we nixed the idea. (We ski, mountain bike etc. w/ our dogs.) We never see them at off leash dog parks, so this kinda confirms what we thought. We saw one once at the beach in Berkeley, and the owner said it can be a problem, but hers listens pretty well. Fun to watch them jump over our dogs, though.
    So they've fixed the issue with this breed, then?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Friends GH swam halfway across Long Island Sound to get to her while she was paddle boarding. Very loyal and definitely prey driven.

But yes, crazy fast.
    Helloooooooooo Kitty!

GH gotta run.

A very nice local couple does GH rescue. Their dogs are always well behaved but usually on the leash.

I think I know your friends PP.....

Plug,
    You definitely need to keep them on leash or in a fenced area until you spend A LOT of time with them ( many say always)

They have been bred/trained to chase small things. Even though adoption groups test them for cat and small dog safety, they can still be prey driven. Mine are good at dog parks, but the problem with the breed off leash is they see something ( squirrel, deer, rabbit, etc) and chase it they hit 40 MPH in 3 strides so they could be out of sight and get lost quickly or gone into a busy road.

We have had our oldest for almost 10 years ( first in Manhattan and now CT) and our newest for 2. Great dogs, and super chill. Sprinters not marathoners so after burst of energy, they lay around like champs.
    Some folks have trained them to run or swim with them ( see above)
    Amazing with kids

We've seen one at our pup's favorite OLP.
    Nice dog, seems friendly and quite chill. Wanted to play with our pup, and our pup wanted to play with him, but his owner very quietly nixed that idea. I don't think anything bad would have happened, but our pup is short and stocky(she's a pit), and he was very much not. He looked quite fragile.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

I used to work at the Tucson VA. The had a very large property filled with native desert plants where I used to run, a good mile one lap around. One of the surgeons had grayhounds in the lab (sorry) and one day I was passed on the trail by one that had gotten loose. Holy shit they're fast. He was gone on a blink of the eye.

Walking my dogs one morning and I hear this loud thundering noise coming up be hind us; just as I turn around this brindle blur streaks by us. The sound of his feet striking the dry turf was awesome.

Yeah, we really want(ed) one. I'd even figure out the coat and bootie thing for BC skiing, but I just don't think we could get it to work. Maybe a miniature one for the backpack.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Rode a Greyhound into Yuma on a whim with my wife. Interesting group of passengers.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Yeah, we really want(ed) one. I'd even figure out the coat and bootie thing for BC skiing, but I just don't think we could get it to work. Maybe a miniature one for the backpack.
    Great dogs, better dogs for BC Skiing partner.
    As the Brits say, horses for courses

Not a big fan of grapefruit juice, can I have a Cape Codder instead?

Not sure if they still do it but the weekend after Labor Day they used to have this Greyhound owners meetup in Dewey Beach Delaware, very cool to see dozens and dozens of them running together on the beach.

Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Miss our old retired racer every day. Lived a long life with few health issues aside from scratches and was the chillest dog ever.

For a few years, we took him to an informal lure coursing meetup on the eastside of Seattle. He turned into a totally different dog for those 10 seconds... and then, as usual, he'd sleep the rest of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Maybe a miniature one for the backpack.
    mini greyhound = whippet

Name:  4D7B736D-614A-42DC-8F53-E765D6CCBEFC.jpeg
Views: 229
Size:  57.1 KB

Whip it real good...

Whippets are smaller than Full size Racing Greys, but Italian Greyhounds ( Iggies) are pack sized, if that is your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Name:  4D7B736D-614A-42DC-8F53-E765D6CCBEFC.jpeg
Views: 229
Size:  57.1 KB

Whip it real good...
    Hippie crack has a time and place. The time has passed and I am not in that place.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Hippie crack has a time and place. The time has passed and I am not in that place.
    yeah, I always think that until someone has a balloon after a show and then......
    well its like my younger Racer seeing a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Whippets are smaller than Full size Racing Greys, but Italian Greyhounds ( Iggies) are pack sized, if that is your thing.
    I had no idea there were three "official" sizes.

Name:  132299912_2989c6797b_o.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  33.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    yeah, I always think that until someone has a balloon after a show and then......
    well its like my younger Racer seeing a rabbit
    Word.

Neighbor growing up out in the sticks had a greyhound that would get out and take off having run so fast even for a short period that that it didnt recognize where it was a minute later and would get lost every month. When he wasn't sprinting around the city, he was in his backyard running laps. After some time, he created his own berms at the corners of the acre or so backyard. Was a blast to watch and he could barely get up to speed.

His name was Caramel and his yard mate was a 300 lb St. Bernard named Fudge. Caramel ate a bag of razor blades one day and lived. Fudge died of Lung Cancer having never smoked a cigarette in his entire life that I know of. If that's not unfair, I don't know what is.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    Neighbor growing up out in the sticks had a greyhound that would get out and take off having run so fast even for a short period that that it didnt recognize where it was a minute later and would get lost every month. .
    this is why always on leash, so fast they can get beyond their knowledge quickly.
    Like how I skied in my early 20s

My parents rescued racer loved chasing squirrels and rabbits, and she always caught them. The assholes that used to run her at the track filed all her teeth down to smooth bumps, shitty for her but good for all the animals that she would have murdered I suppose. It was amazing watching her a full speed chasing rabbits, poor fuckers never stood a chance... saved only by her nubbins' for teeth.