Driving from PHX to SLC

Anyone done it? Looks pretty straight forward but figure I'd pose the question so I don't miss anything and fuck this up. Doesn't look like there are any pass closures that would mess with the route, seems relatively flat between Flagstaff and SLC. Honestly more concerned about running out of gas somewhere in the middle of the night. Plan is to top off in Flag, Page, Panguitch, and Provo..

Have some family skiing in SLC on short notice and the flights at this point are way out of my price range. Plan is to drive up Thursday night, ski Friday through midday Sunday, then drive back. Yes Monday will suck, Mondays always suck though.

Just did that drive a couple of weeks ago. No real issues. From Flag to Beaver you’re not on main highways but there wasn’t any snow on the roads.

Watch the speed traps in Beaver County on I15. There is a hill that is notorious for cops with little to do besides writing tickets not that I have multiple first hand experience...

Basically, I have done that drive 4 times a year since 2005. For me, it was 652 miles door to door and generally takes 12 hours. Wife and I each drive 3 hr shifts.

Watch for storms around Flag and HWY 20 (the pass there is close to 8000 feet). Also watch for storms around Beaver to Fillmore. That stretch of I15 seems to attract winter storms.

In Flag, I fill up at the grand America which is just off I40. Cleanest restrooms of the whole trip. The Chevron in Panguitch is adequate.

About 30 miles before (south) Panguitch, there is a nice rest area.

Always worth a stop to explore the Fillmore Virgin Beaver area...

The Chevron in Beaver (the one with the giant rocking chair out front) totally saved my ass years ago after my fuel pump went out in a Sunday afternoon. They towed me in and got me back on the road in a couple of hours instead of having to stay the night and wait for another service shop to open. I try to stop there on my way through every time now.

Driving from PHX to SLC

I’ve done both bunches of times, 89 just couple weeks ago.
    PHX to SLC on hwy 89, Flag to Page to Panguitch to Provo is the scenic route. PHX to Kingman on hwy 93 to Vegas then I15 to SLC is expedient route.

But if you’re gonna do hwy 89, here’s my take: Page to Kanab has a few slow spots. Kanab to Panguitch is frustratingly slow. Quite curvy, lots of up and down hills, and lots of little LDS towns that cut the speed limit down to 25 mph. Every time you think you get the chance to mash the pedal and set the cruise control there’s a reason you can’t. But if your still gonna take this route, north of Panguitch take UT hwy 20 west to I15. Hwy 89 north of this cutoff is again frustratingly slow.

Did I mention the deer? Lots of ‘em on 89.

But... hwy 89 is really beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Always worth a stop to explore the Fillmore Virgin Beaver area...
    I have been driving that stretch of road for 25 years or so, and never put that together...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Thanks for the replies all.

That is interesting about taking the route out to Vegas, wonder if running into traffic there would offset the 25mph zones on 89. I'm all the way on the east side of the valley which may make the trip via 89 slightly quicker even with the slow downs. I'm sure I'll eventually drive it during the day, but for this trip the vast majority will be in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I have been driving that stretch of road for 25 years or so, and never put that together...
    It's an obligatory joke for kids who went to high school in SLC...

Especially if you went to college in SoCal and drove it 6-8 times a year