What is “litmus test” for choosing boot width?

Curious on title question, as well as my own situation.

So, if THE ENTIRE LATERAL SIDE OF YOUR FOOT is TOUCHING PLASTIC with shell fit, is the boots molded frame too narrow, “fair and square”???

Also: what is one to do/think when aftermarket liners require you to do a bunch more shell work? The stock liner had trashy ankle fit/heel-hold, but was comfortable.

Intuitions have me punching my boots more in styloid and outside heel. Lowest volume intuition.

I have to add my gratuitous 2 cents: don’t know why much of the industry is adamantly against Fischer Vacuums. I owned a pair, and it’s far from perfect (why I’m not doing it again at least right now). Yet, compared to the time I’m investing fitting a traditional boot, the foot pain, etc, you bet your ass Fischer’s system is perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Gaperious Basterd View Post
    So, if THE ENTIRE LATERAL SIDE OF YOUR FOOT is TOUCHING PLASTIC with shell fit, is the boots molded frame too narrow, “fair and square”???
    Not necessarily, when you are in the shell sans liner and footbed your foot is not in the widest part of the boot. Usually the shell is narrower at the bottom than it is a few mm up, where your foot actually sits in the boot.
    I have no idea if the boots are too narrow or not, maybe they are, but the above test alone can't tell you that.

If the litmus test is red, you're good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Jeez, dude, everyone knows it's your foot that conforms to the boot, not vice-versa.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

It's more of a test of how capable the bootfitter is

You make sure a boot fits in the important places like the heel, ankle and instep. Punching width is easy.