Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Locker would be perfect, but if not available, what about a storage unit near the hill or on the way? Our volunteer group stores the stuff near the hill at a cheap unit, then we share the key and lock codes. Adds 15 minutes to the drive.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Blog: Ex wife and keep kids skiing....

We work a few hundred feet up the street from each other, which is the same street the hill is on (about 5 mins away). I think a duffel for each kid solves most problems. I wouldn’t chase gear every pick up and drop off, since everything is so close otherwise. We’ll just plan ahead a little. And if we don’t, looping up to my house from hers adds 10 minutes to her trip.

I think that works.

I wish there was a “fun” kids ski club here and not just deadly serious racers....
    focus.

Can the ex-wife be trusted to dry their shit out at the end of the day? If not, just have it dropped off at your place.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Can the ex-wife be trusted to get the kids to start drying their own shit out at the end of the day? If not, just have it dropped off at your place and be one of those helicopter parents that does everything the kid needs while they sit doing their electronics devices or TV all day.
    FIFY- Ski instructor recently was talking about the parents doing multiple trips carrying all the skis and stuff up to the beginners learn to ski lesson area. First lesson he taught the family is everyone carries their own stuff and is responsible for their equipment, not Mom or Dad...

I wish there was a “fun” kids ski club here and not just deadly serious racers....
    Yup. My daughter would have loved this. She hated competing against her friends, she wanted to ski with them. When she turned 16, she ended up instructing and herded cats teaching beginners. She loved it. Ya know, just do everything in your power to try to not turn them off to the sport.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

The club had declining racer participation awhile back so the new coach ( who had coached an olympic gold medal winner ) just had everyone go ing skiing and suddenly there was a big crew going hard,

they arent all deadly serious its just fun but a lot of the parents of around 40 were racers back in the day so it seems to trickle down
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    FIFY- Ski instructor recently was talking about the parents doing multiple trips carrying all the skis and stuff up to the beginners learn to ski lesson area. First lesson he taught the family is everyone carries their own stuff and is responsible for their equipment, not Mom or Dad...
    This is funny. I've got some nasty looks from mom's watching me make my just now 5 year old carry his skis. My daughter is 7 and wants poles now, I told her she can next season but has to carry them and her skis, no question.

OP - I'm in a similar situation. I however tend to take them most often so the gear lives at my house. If my ex wants to take the kids on the weekend then she needs to let me know before change over day so I can bring the stuff. (Monday is change over) It takes a little planning but we've made it work.

my advice- focus on your kids, not your ex.

that's what I have learned as terrible as my ex can be at times.

All i can say is I feel your pain, minus the DEE vorce. Schelped 3 kids shit around the mountian for...i dunno, maybe 10 years and christ almighty. it was a metric shit-ton of stuff, and worth every minute seeing them link turns. Now truthfully, i was pretty uptight about tt too. Maybe that's an understatement.

Now that they are in college, at least so far if I plan a trip out west they'll go, but refuse to ski otherwise. I'm hoping one day they see I tried to do for them what was never done for me, but probably not. I mean. you gotta pissed at your parents for something, right? Isn't that the point?
    "Can't you see..."

Update: I facilitated skiing yesterday. Ran all over and got the stuff where it needed to be. I wasn’t able to join them since I had a work meeting last night.

As predicted, they had a fine time skiing yesterday, but don’t want to go skiing with me today because, well, they just went yesterday.

It sucks. Oh well...
    focus.

Sounds like your ex sucks. That probably ain't gonna change. You either put your ego in your back pocket for the sake of your kids or you are part of the problem. Nobody likes a bitchy Dad.

How old are the kids? For all my friends kids the rule is, "your deal with your own shit or you can't go". My nephew is 12 and his parents are divorced. His parents do everything for him. From the way he acts at home, you'd think the kid can't even make a sandwich. Guess what, they'll play you like a fucking harp. Empower your kids to manage there own equipment. I'm guessing they got it under control. I mean really, in the grand scheme of challenges that will need to be overcome in a life time...skis, boots & poles?

They don’t have a car. Tough for them to drag skis boots and helmet to dad’s —> school —> mom’s —> school —> dad’s.....

Also. They’re borderline about wanting to go. “Deal with your own shit or you don’t go” doesn’t carry a lot of water. “Deal with your own shit or you’ll sit in the lodge while we go” sounds nice and stern, but still doesn’t accomplish much.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    They don’t have a car. Tough for them to drag skis boots and helmet to dad’s —> school —> mom’s —> school —> dad’s.....

Also. They’re borderline about wanting to go. “Deal with your own shit or you don’t go” doesn’t carry a lot of water. “Deal with your own shit or you’ll sit in the lodge while we go” sounds nice and stern, but still doesn’t accomplish much.
    How old are your kids? You talk about dressing them and getting ready to go skiing. If you have 3 kids under 6 and you are talking them skiing, yeah...that's a full time job.

2nd grade and older, manage your own gear. You work at a ski area, how does ski school do it? What do your buddies on patrol have to say?

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    How old are your kids? You talk about dressing them and getting ready to go skiing. If you have 3 kids under 6 and you are talking them skiing, yeah...that's a full time job.

2nd grade and older, manage your own gear. You work at a ski area, how does ski school do it? What do your buddies on patrol have to say?
    Earlier I think he said 8, 11, and 12? But I think you're missing the point that they aren't thrilled with skiing, so "deal with your own shit or we don't go skiing" isn't much of a threat. My kiddo was similar until this year, where being on race team has suddenly made her want to go skiing, such that saying "we won't go skiing if you don't do X" has some weight.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I'm obviously wading into dangerous "You ain't a parent, so don't give parenting advice" territory. That said, I do a lot of skiing with a lot of kids. All of them are super into it. If they ain't into it, they don't go.

Maybe, Musty's kids are in that "I don't like doing everything stage" which in tough but perhaps they are being enabled. It kinda sounds like skiing is a negotiation and the parent has no leverage. I'm not sure why you would want to spend the $ and deal with the headache of skiing if your kids don't want to go.

I'm probably wrong but it sounded a lot more like a bitch session than help me manage my kids gear.

Can't speak for Musty, but I deal with the headache for a bunch of reasons. We love skiing with them, they have fun once they're on the snow, it gets them outside, it's good for them, it's good for me, etc. Having said that, they carry their own damn shit.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I feel like you guys aren’t getting this. I’m not worried about car to hill. Or house to car. I’m talking about chasing the shit between homes. While the kids have a layover at school.

The 8 year old still needs help buckling up boots and tucking in gloves/neck warmer/goggles/helmet. She can do some of that, but usually leads direct to shorter time outside because she isn’t that good at it (shit, I’m barely good at it).

Oh, and absolutely I’m having a bitch/poor me session. I think I laid that out at the top.
    focus.

3 backpacks (or equivalent)
    Laminated from ziptied to back with required contents listed
    Skis and poles in a Texas suitcase

Ask your kids to be responsible for keeping this in order to help you out

Provide deliver and drop off service as needed in order to facilitate your kids skiing

OR

Feel sorry for yourself while keeping score between you and your crazy ex-wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    3 backpacks (or equivalent)
    Laminated from ziptied to back with required contents listed
    Skis and poles in a Texas suitcase

Ask your kids to be responsible for keeping this in order to help you out

Provide deliver and drop off service as needed in order to facilitate your kids skiing

OR

Feel sorry for yourself while keeping score between you and your crazy ex-wife.
    Right. The correct answer is schlep the schit. We covered that and the duffle angle a couple pages ago. It was a good idea and helpful.

This isn’t about keeping score, I’d just like to ski with my kids.
    focus.

I feel like you guys aren’t getting this. I’m not worried about car to hill. Or house to car. I’m talking about chasing the shit between homes. While the kids have a layover at school.

The 8 year old still needs help buckling up boots and tucking in gloves/neck warmer/goggles/helmet. She can do some of that, but usually leads direct to shorter time outside because she isn’t that good at it (shit, I’m barely good at it).

Oh, and absolutely I’m having a bitch/poor me session. I think I laid that out at the top.
    You need to find a freak in bed with a trust fund that also likes to play mama bear and let her handle it while you go off skiing. I'm not divorced but do have 3 kids that went through this for a lot of years. 1.5 of the kids love skiing at this point ... ages 20, 19 and 15.

I’d just like to ski with my kids.
    Make sure you tell them how much you love skiing with them.

Right. The correct answer is schlep the schit. We covered that and the duffle angle a couple pages ago. It was a good idea and helpful.

This isn’t about keeping score, I’d just like to ski with my kids.
    Is it more important that you ski with your kids or spent quality, positive time doing 'stuff' with your kids?

I've spent a fair amount of time thinking about what I did right and wrong with my, now 20 something, son. I think with skiing, I sort of crammed my passion for skiing down his throat and got impatient at times, creating some stress. He loves to ski, but his passion is soccer, which I could not get him interested in early on.

Whatever you do, try to kept it positive and turn them onto all kinds of stuff and see what sticks. Then they'll guide you....just keep your wallet handy.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

I feel like you guys aren’t getting this. I’m not worried about car to hill. Or house to car. I’m talking about chasing the shit between homes. While the kids have a layover at school. .
    I think its because kids don't necessarily understand the concept of ownership and kids of divorced parents just think its all family stuff

The teen age daughter of a ex-GF was like that, stuff she borrowed from one house would not necessarily get back unless asked for, some of it just dissapeared it was all just family property

she was smart enough to become a doctor but keeping track of shit ... was elusive
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Can the ex-wife be trusted...
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! ! Stop dude, you're killing me!
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

The problem here isn't about ski gear. Sounds to me like youve got a bit of a control thing going on. If you want your kids to hate skiing you're going about it the right way. The primary goal here is to minimize conflict between you and your ex where the kids are concerned. Whether you're the one who gets to ski with them is less important. I get it that your ex seems to be using skiing with your kids as a way to get at you but your job is to keep the kids from being pawns in this. You're the cool ski patrol dad. They'll be wanting to ski with you soon enough.