Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

P14 Toe Piece. Busted or Not?

Jumped off a small ledge. Maybe 8’ at most. Wiped out. Not sure what happened. Perhaps hit some ice under the snow. Lost one ski, then the other. First one almost felt like the ski snapped. Weird, right. Dig them out and one had the toe piece busted. Ended up walking and one skiing out to car and to get another pair. Missed my pow skis all week.

I got home and wanted to remove binding. Had to knock on the wings so I could get to one screw. Made taps with my mallet. Then the toe piece and wings snapped back into place. I can step in with a boot.

Busted or not?

This is what it looked like when I got it back to the car.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4444.JPG 
Views:	181 
Size:	370.6 KB 
ID:	271155

The patroller who stopped to see if I was okay and could get out on my own yelled back as he skied away, “seen that happen on the 14s before. That’s why you need to buy the 18s.”

Sounds like I’m in the big boy club.

Are you kidding? That’s the way how P14 toes release. Turn back the toe brace part and you are fine.

I've seen that before. Twisted back and seemed fine. Did not torque test, so YMMV.

Fyi, I have some orphan toes and I’d love to give your heels a good home...

May need to back off the din setting to get the toe wings back in place.

As others have pointed out, that is one way the pivot toes are designed to release.

Quote Originally Posted by chickenNugget View Post
    May need to back off the din setting to get the toe wings back in place.

As others have pointed out, that is one way the pivot toes are designed to release.
    X3 or whatever. That's normal, so long as no plastic is mangled it's fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

They're completely fuct. Send them to me for proper disposal.

Yeah I’ve had that happen before. As others had stated they are not broken and it is designed to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

It’s happened to me too, it does look a bit disconcerting. Got at least 200 yds downhill on one ski before I tried to muscle it back in to place - couple of whacks and it was fine.

Their fine. All you have to worry about is the heal piece breaking :/

Does this look busted?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

^^^ that'll buff right out.

P14 Toe Piece. Busted or Not?

Fuck. Then I wasted 30 minutes not getting pow. And skied my Wrens instead for days.

When it popped back in I was shocked. Had no idea those wings would turn so far and not break. Stoked I don’t need to try an warranty them.

So I guess I don’t need 18s and am not really in the big boy club.

But I did know people here would know. Thanks all.

Funny, neither the patroller, or the Mt Ops guy (who showed up to give me a ride out on a snowmo) knew they could pop back in.

When in doubt, smash it with a rubber mallet.
    It’s in the shop practices manual.
    crab in my shoe mouth

I've only had that happen twice, IIRC. To make it easier to pop back to normal, I turn the DIN down to minimum -- no idea if that's necessary, but it makes it much easier to move the toe wings back in place.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    So I guess I don’t need 18s and am not really in the big boy club.
    If you don’t ski at DIN > 13 regularly you don’t really need P18s, unless for CAST. Big boy means often fat boy so better stay out of this club.

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    If you don’t ski at DIN > 13 regularly you don’t really need P18s
    Wrong

BRING BACK THE 155!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gwat View Post
    Wrong
    2nd that. Getting bindings where your DIN is in the “middle” is an old wive’s tale of yester-years.
    Have a set of Marker KingPins, a set of Tyrolia Attacks, and the 4 other skis have P18’s. 2 of those are CAST 3.0 Setups. Luv the P18’s.

Yuppp binding performed as it should. Yet another reason to love the P14's in my opinion.

For those of us who don't need an 14+ DIN binding (pretty much all of us) and don't ski 100 days a year (probably most of us), I feel the P14 is the lighter, better, safer binding.

P18 wins on durability and makes you feel like a big boy, but I'd rather have more ways to exit the binding when needed.

Back on them today jumping off stuff and making fun turns. So stoked.

Seeing how it twisted to release, holy crap that would fuck up my knee.

Going back to 1989, I had a horrific tib/fib fracture requiring a stainless steel rod and four screws. I had a compartment syndrome issue and almost lost my leg below my knee. I was skiing Salomon 747 bindings at din 14. I’m 6’-4”, and was 200lbs then. I’m the same height, but a bit heavier now😀, and I ski about an 11 din now. I think I probably ski faster now due to ski shape/width changes, but I don’t catch big air anymore. I busted my leg on a stupid jump. Point is, I love my P14 binders. I haven’t had an issue with the last four pair I’ve owned. I’d snatch up a pair of P18s in a heartbeat, but don’t discount their plastic brothers

Quote Originally Posted by VON View Post
    Yuppp binding performed as it should. Yet another reason to love the P14's in my opinion.

For those of us who don't need an 14+ DIN binding (pretty much all of us) and don't ski 100 days a year (probably most of us), I feel the P14 is the lighter, better, safer binding.

P18 wins on durability and makes you feel like a big boy, but I'd rather have more ways to exit the binding when needed.
    The p15/18 toe is a 180 degree toe, just like the plastic toe. Turn the DIN on one down and pull up on the the toe and you can see that it pivots upward.

Quote Originally Posted by The Clink View Post
    The p15/18 toe is a 180 degree toe, just like the plastic toe. Turn the DIN on one down and pull up on the the toe and you can see that it pivots upward.
    Here we go again...

The all metal 15 and 18 toes do tilt forward, but typically not enough for the boot toe lug to clear the housing without at least some twisting.

There are lots of threads about it.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    Here we go again...

The all metal 15 and 18 toes do tilt forward, but typically not enough for the boot toe lug to clear the housing without at least some twisting.

There are lots of threads about it.
    Rossignol advertised them as 180 degree toes forever, and answered emails from TGR members and said they are 180 degree toes. The damn toes have been around forever, I really doubt it's plausible that look/rossignol doesn't know how their bindings release and the forum "experts" who claim they don't release up are correct.