Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kye Shapes (Kye Petersen's new line of skis)

UPDATE 3/21/2019:
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrain505 View Post
    ----------

Does anyone have insider info on Kye Shapes ski brand and their upcoming ski models?

While watching FWT Japan, I noticed Kye Petersen's skis had a "KS" logo on the bases. So I hit Google, and this is what I got so far.

Kye Petersen is partnering with Foon Skis in Pemberton, BC to build a small run of 100 skis branded as "Kye Shapes", apparently this winter.

"[Johnny Foon] has big plans for the new press which can pump out three to four pairs a day. This will be used for a new ski-design venture with big-mountain ripper Kye Petersen—Kye Shapes. Foon expects this year's production total to be 300 pairs of skis—200 originals and 100 Kye Shapes, with the balance switching around the following year." - 12/6/2018
    https://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/wh...t?oid=12371495

Kye mentions it in podcast at http://www.thepowellmovement.com/lis...3-kye-petersen , and I think he says he came up with design tweaks while with 4FRNT, but 4FRNT never produced the new tweaks because it would require a whole new mold, etc.

About Foon's general construction & materials: http://www.foonskis.com/the-skis/

Source code leaked by a webdev suggests there will be 3 ski models by Kye Shapes:
    1) The Numinous
    2) The Alchemist
    3) The "KyeFoon"

UPDATE:
    Foon Skis and Kye have been talking up the use of yellow cedar (those trees are local-ish to Foon Skis in Pemberton) for ski cores, but then Instragram shows "Aspen Maple" written on the graphics of Kye's current ski...so I don't know which woods will be used in Kye skis.

Name:  KaiShapes1.png
Views: 3287
Size:  504.1 KB
    Name:  KaiShapes2.png
Views: 3324
Size:  672.6 KB
    Name:  KaiShapes3.png
Views: 3189
Size:  701.5 KB
    Last edited by Vitamin I; 03-21-2019 at 02:04 PM.
    - TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

I’ve seen them a bunch in his insta stories. Dont know if he has been dialing in more than one shape though. Matty richard has been skiing them too.
    Excited to see what they pump out! I think they will be dropping soon? They just did a thing with the skis in front of 50 tvs.

Very intrigued by this. Johnny's been teasing new shapes for a while but no details/specs on his site yet

Definitely interested. I do like my kye 120s

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Yellow cedar sounds like a terrible choice. But hey im just a carpenter not a ski manufacturer.

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

They look and feel like top notch build quality.
    Matty is stoked on them. He goes to the hill, tests a pair. Goes back to the shop and builds a new pair with tweaks.
    They should skip the general indy ski manufacturer first few year blues as foon has been building skis for years and Kye brings a lot of building/design knowledge to the table from his time with 4frnt. I.e. they are sourcing good materials and know how things should be done.

Foon uses Yellow Cedar in his skis as its locally and sustainably sourced. Kye is using Aspen Maple (at least in the big ski) because that's what he preferred for cores from testing lots of different ones with 4frnt. Kye would get say 5 new pairs a year from 4frnt of one specific model that was already established (this does not include prototyping new skis). Each of those skis would have tweaks to it. Like say a slightly different core, or a strip of carbon down the centre, or just fibreglass. Test back to back. Figure out what you like, repeat the following season with new tweaks based off what he liked best the previous season. I.e. he brings a shit load of knowledge.

He is also extremely passionate and motivated by this project. When we were in Chile this summer every day he would be communicating with some CAD guy discussing blend curves for rocker, shape, etc, sending design files and tweaks back and forth. I think his vision is like surf board shapers back in the day. The best athletes shaped their own boards, he wants to bring that back. I think he also sees it as a way to set himself up a little bit after his ski career winds down a bit (although he has many years left of going really hard), and a way to keep some of that core culture alive and well in Pemberton/Whistler.

1 of the models is 122 underfoot.
    Another is 112.
    Not sure about the 3rd, I imagine it would be mountaineering specific as Kye is very into that.

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    Yellow cedar sounds like a terrible choice. But hey im just a carpenter not a ski manufacturer.

I’d like to hear more of your thoughts on this, genuinely curious. Don’t have time or desire to start a google rabbit hole on yellow cedar.

Atrain, appreciate the good info, def something I’ll be following
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

If Foon is having success with the yellow cedar which it sounds like they are thats great. Id rather not speculate too much. The one thing i would say is that unless there is metal topsheet i would be concerned with bindings ripping out. But all this is relative to wood selection grain orientation and whether or not they are using old growth timber(which i doubt due to the business models/sustainability aspect) people say the skis are great(foons website) so insert foot in mouth. The other factor is here in Washington we get young yellow cedar because all the better wood is sent to japan.

Not sure if it was on Matty or Kyes story but im pretty sure Matty was rocking some Blackcomb Maple cores (might not have been maple, i can't really remember) but definitely blackcomb. Followed Kye up the Baker bootpack a while back. Skis looks really dialled already, like ready for production. I was also surpised to see the foon logo at Baker before I realized i was behind Kye.

I know they've been building skis for a while and I get the locally sourced wood thing but the couple pairs I have drilled were scary how easy the drill went in.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    I know they've been building skis for a while and I get the locally sourced wood thing but the couple pairs I have drilled were scary how easy the drill went in.
    I don't know what Foon is doing for binding retention. Most ski companies have different methods. Harder woods there, wire mesh, metal plate, etc. I do know that this is something Kye values big time and has talked about in the past since it's a huge deal for skiers who routinely ski over exposure and are tossing spins off massive airs, landing switch, etc.

Chris Turpin from all his switch landings was constantly ripping bindings out of skis from all kinds of different manufacturers. He eventually just started T-bolting all his mounts, which is something that should not have to happen for any type of skier.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain505 View Post
    I don't know what Foon is doing for binding retention. Most ski companies have different methods. Harder woods there, wire mesh, metal plate, etc. I do know that this is something Kye values big time and has talked about in the past since it's a huge deal for skiers who routinely ski over exposure and are tossing spins off massive airs, landing switch, etc.

Chris Turpin from all his switch landings was constantly ripping bindings out of skis from all kinds of different manufacturers. He eventually just started T-bolting all his mounts, which is something that should not have to happen for any type of skier.
    no argument from me, heli coils are a cliff jumping super freaks best friend after Pivots...
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Been curious about this as well from Kye's instagram... the 112 ski especially. I think Matty posted a prototype that had old growth yellow cedar from Whistler and maple from Blackcomb? Not idea the mix/uses of each wood.. I'm more familiar with the island and western red cedar but I would think there is OG yellow cedar being logged on the coast somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like they have their launch video filmed based on the instagram teases, some of it at the Chromag office? Gotta be dropping it in the next week or two, may April 1?

Also curious. Whilst reading about Foon's stuff, I came across something more interesting than the idea that he's using cedar. It's not just yellow cedar but a single piece of yellow cedar. If I'm getting the gist of it properly, it's not a laminate, but one single solid milled piece of cedar for the core. I've never heard of anyone else doing this.

The 189cm Numinous ski
    Core: Full Canadian Maple

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Numinous looks pretty sick, would love to test one out in the resort if it snows again. I’m too fat to tour on a 2400g ski. Curious what the shape 02 will turn out like... I need a 188ish ski in 135-110–120ish dimensions, 27ish radius, mild tip and tail rocker, 1800-1900g. That’s my do it all dream with Shifts.

Second shape release. 185 Metamorph 137 - 114 - 130.3 R23.5
    Looks fun.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 10.21.09 AM.png 
Views:	119 
Size:	452.3 KB 
ID:	277063

Full rocker. Kye and Hoji.

Anyone on these this year? Blister has their first take up on both and they sound interesting.

Can confirm that foon was using a single piece of yellow cedar in his cores, have it in a custom set of typhoons I ordered that I've put in gear swap as they don't fit my quiver. Not sure if that is still the case or if he's moved on to the same cores in these.

Kye Shapes (Kye Petersen's new line of skis)

Web site says “full Canadian maple core”, in the section above that it says “Canadian Aspen + maple core”. Blister also said aspen/maple, sounds like yellow cedar is out for Kye Shapes at least, from what I understand that’s probably a good thing.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Did this never take off? What happened to KS?

Quote Originally Posted by Jvhowube View Post
    Did this never take off? What happened to KS?
    Kye has signed on with Volkl.
    No more Kye Shapes skis.