Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tecton vs Shift & setup issues for the SHIFT

I wrote this because (i) gear nerding and (ii) boy a lot of you like to set up your own bindings. Some do it well. Some not so much. The Shift thread is going on 70+ pages so here's my attempt to put some structure on collective wisdom

https://www.newschoolers.com/news/re...n-Atomic-Shift

Put it into the NS blog format as it's easier to layout plus it gets SEO'ed

Let me know if I missed anything with respect to Shift and also Tecton

Dude, that is fucking awesome. Thanks!

You're spoiling us with the quality of your writing, Lee. Thanks;

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Great - thanks!

Nice summary
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Thanks Lee. I don’t have experience with either, but with high hopes for the Hoji Free boot, I’ve been weighing my options for a 50:50 setup for next year. The full time Shift users I’ve spoken with talk of snow build-up that in certain snow conditions reliably releases the brake while touring, and which is finicky to clean out, and of issues with the heel riser not staying erect. Not deal breakers for a 50:50 use, but there seems lots of potential for incremental improvements, if/when Shift 2.0 hits the market. Also, Dynafit’s lack of a competitor in this game has me wondering what they have in the works.

Lee, if I use the tecton toe and the Shift heel, you think Id be able to it ski a whole Shit-ton?
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Lee, if I use the tecton toe and the Shift heel, you think Id be able to it ski a whole Shit-ton?
    Already sacrificed a boot for invagination. Not going to do in a knee

Thanks Lee

If thats how you are supposed to properly adjust the forward pressure, I imagine A LOT of people have them adjusted incorrectly. Thanks Lee.

Well done lee. I was wondering if you could discuss a little more your love of frame bindings? TIA

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

This line will never get the appreciation it deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    If thats how you are supposed to properly adjust the forward pressure, I imagine A LOT of people have them adjusted incorrectly. Thanks Lee.
    According to Salomon that's not how you're supposed to adjust it. The instructions included with the bindings state that the raised silver rectangle is supposed to be centred between the arrows. Not saying that I disagree with Lee with increasing the FP (especially for hard chargers) but shops won't be setting them like that.
    Last edited by Spyderjon; 02-24-2019 at 07:16 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    According to Salomon that's not how you're supposed to adjust it. The instructions included with the bindings state that the raised silver rectangle is supposed to be centred between the arrows. Not saying that I disagree with Lee with increasing the FP it (especially for hard chargers) but shops won't be setting them like that.
    Jdadour and spyderjon. Perhaps I'll rephrase the article to distinguish between what Salomon recommends in the manual vs what some shops are (unofficially) doing.

The difference is small but it seems to be key
    Last edited by LeeLau; 02-23-2019 at 06:02 PM.

Nice summary. This link will prevent a lot of "search jongs"

#dadjokes

Thanks Lee. Good info.
    I'm surprised at how much forward pressure. That's even more than what I did when I upped mine. Good to know it goes to 11.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    70 page thread on shifts alone. 32 page for Tectons. It wasn't even fair to call out the Jongs.

I think Salomon Atomic could make setup a bit more intuitive. Its not just a few people making mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    #dadjokes

Thanks Lee. Good info.
    I'm surprised at how much forward pressure. That's even more than what I did when I upped mine. Good to know it goes to 11.
    I tried to measure but failed. Its like 2-3mm tops. But evidently that's enough

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Bring on the one post Jong.

Quote Originally Posted by aleks View Post
    Apologies if this question has already been addressed.

After a few days of skiing - ended up with at three mm of upward play in the toe. Could easily raise and drop the toe of the boot in the binding. Adjusted the AFD and found it sits at and angle to the bottom of the toe of the boot. Is this the usual alignment or should it sit flat/parallel to the bottom of the toes.

and

Anyone has issues with pre release in denser snow. Been popping out of both bindings during weighting through a turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    None of these issues have ever been discussed in this thread, or anywhere else on the internet ever. Certainly not in the posts in this thread previous to, and leading up to, your post,... and especially not in a thread specifically titled, "Tecton vs. Shift and setup issues for the SHIFT."
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    ......Perhaps I'll rephrase the article to distinguish between what Salomon recommends in the manual vs what some shops are (unofficially) doing.

The difference is small but it seems to be key
    I think that'd really help avoid confusion.

Bump

Hey Lee, thank you so much for putting this together. This is incredibly helpful - the best resource I've found for looking at both Shifts and Tectons - particularly the resources around adjusting the forward pressure on the Shifts. I had looked all over the internet and never found those resources, and an improperly adjusted Shift ended up causing a pre-release, a torn labrum, and $10k in medical bills last year.

Really appreciate it man.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    70 page thread on shifts alone. 32 page for Tectons. It wasn't even fair to call out the Jongs.

I think Salomon Atomic could make setup a bit more intuitive. Its not just a few people making mistakes.
    This^^ I seen a ex racer having issues last week, buddy has adjusted more bindings, pounded more nails than you can imagine and they were having pre-release issues
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    an improperly adjusted Shift ended up causing a pre-release, a torn labrum, and $10k in medical bills last year..
    Uhg, I feel for ya. Tore mine a few years ago and that hurt like a miserable screaming bitch. Haven't had anything hurt like that in YEARS. Super cool that there's some actual useful information on this site that may prevent things like this happening to others. Too bad we can't always rely on the shops to be on top of things like this or Amer to make the setup perfectly clear for all users.

One other pro/con between the two not mentioned:
    You can step on the Shift heelpiece with the opposing ski and release yourself. You cannot do that with the Tecton, because you're still connected at the toe.

It's not a big deal for most people, but as a race coach, I was cursing my Tectons the day or two I ended up working on them, and I wouldn't want to patrol on them. The Shifts, on the other hand, behave like a alpine binding in those scenarios (just don't scrape your boot across the toepiece to clear the snow, use the heelpiece lip instead).