Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    Uhg, I feel for ya. Tore mine a few years ago and that hurt like a miserable screaming bitch. Haven't had anything hurt like that in YEARS. Super cool that there's some actual useful information on this site that may prevent things like this happening to others. Too bad we can't always rely on the shops to be on top of things like this or Amer to make the setup perfectly clear for all users.
    Yep, not my proudest moment. Ended up calling SAR because we could not reduce the dislocation (we tried hard) and there was no way I could make it out 6 miles thru very complex terrain. To say I was in excruciating pain would be an understatement - even after two hydrocodones I had absolute breakthru pain (like an honest 8.5 out of 10 on the scale). I would never have believed someone if they told me that a dislocation/torn labrum could be that painful, but my god.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    One other pro/con between the two not mentioned:
    You can step on the Shift heelpiece with the opposing ski and release yourself. You cannot do that with the Tecton, because you're still connected at the toe.

It's not a big deal for most people, but as a race coach, I was cursing my Tectons the day or two I ended up working on them, and I wouldn't want to patrol on them. The Shifts, on the other hand, behave like a alpine binding in those scenarios (just don't scrape your boot across the toepiece to clear the snow, use the heelpiece lip instead).
    Well couldn't you use your opposing ski to step on the toe to release yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In theory, that should work.

I found it to be a lot more challenge to balance on my heel and pivot the toe free while pivoting the other leg across and pushing down to release. IIRC the brake being retracted during the whole process (due to leaning back) may contribute to the challenge.

I don't know if it's something I could've learned to be comfortable with, as I never really liked the skis that had the Tectons as much as I'd hoped, just that it was a serious annoyance when my hands were full and I wanted to get out of my skis.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    as a race coach, I was cursing my Tectons the day or two I ended up working on them, and I wouldn't want to patrol on them. The Shifts, on the other hand, behave like a alpine binding in those scenarios (just don't scrape your boot across the toepiece to clear the snow, use the heelpiece lip instead).
    I only used a pin bindings once to do course work figuring a light setup/boot with vibram sole would be > an alpine boot but it sucked cuz I needed to carry things, may not have poles, snow will clogged the bindings which I couldn't clear cuz I was carrying stuff

IME working on frame AT bindings is ok
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    You could, but that is a mighty fine way to break the toes if done a lot - the wings does not take kindly to steel edges.

I got rid of my shifts last year due to the pre-release issues. I had a lifetime tech and two Atomic reps working on them and they couldn't get them to stop pre-releasing. They ski great when they hold on, but it really didn't take much to make mine pre-release. it was infuriating. one of the atomic reps has had to deal with it so much he has developed this long bullshit spiel he starts rattling off everytime someone mentions it to try and explain it away as a good thing. It isn't. and that's not even mentioning the fact that Atomic's own freeride touring boots (XTD) have issues with the bindings. often have to grind the sole to get the AFD to slide properly.