Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Found Music

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I'm told they're wigs, they were in another band so when they did a gig on their own they wore wigs. For some reason. Also that the two of them are married. And that the guitarist goes by Mark Speers but his name is actually Mark Lee. Whether any of that's true or not I don't know.
    I'm pretty bummed the drummer doesn't have the same wig.

I've been looking at dude's hair more than is healthy and I'm gonna say that ain't a wig. Her, I dunno.

How long did you look at the drummer?

I’m on the fence.

Probably not 5 minutes total but I've been watching a few of their things and I wonder about it every time.

edit: the drummer. just got that.
    Last edited by iceman; 03-12-2019 at 08:51 PM.

My cousin just showed me this band (The Bronx). How the fuck have I never heard of them before, I don't know. All their shit rocks, but their second album is exemplary.

NPR Tiny Desk concerts aren't new so I don't know if they can qualify as "found" music, but I've really gone down a rabbit hole with them lately, so much good stuff in little 3-song bites with really good audio. I listened to this one last night and it brought a smiile to my face:

As one of the comments says: "All i can think is u would never know these old guys are such a bunch of badasses if u saw them around a table at a Denny's"

Good job by the singer not falling off that little table btw.

Quote Originally Posted by patxi View Post
    I used to listen to KPIG out of Freedom, CA when I lived in the South Bay. I learned that the predecessor to KPIG this was KFAT out of Gilroy that went dead in the early 80s. Thankfully, there remain a number of broadcast recordings from the late 70s through early 80s that are available for streaming. If you are into eclectic country music, there is a treasure trove of stuff to find here: some KFAT streams.

And a few examples:

Used to listen to KPIG a lot when I lived in the Santa Cruz area. Mainly because they we the only decent station I could get that weren’t just playing top 40’s hits.

I read somewhere they were the first station to stream over the internet. Lots of cool music.

They had a slogan “Freedom is just another word for Watsonville”.

Really great thread Iceman and a wonderful example of what this place does so well if ya keep an open mind. Saw these guys as the warm band band for Jim James solo tour and thought they were great:

Found Music

Currently playing really small venues, these ones are all over the place stylistically (album to album and song to song):

Young, stoned-looking Beach House playing some deep tracks:

NPR Tiny Desk concerts aren't new so I don't know if they can qualify as "found" music, but I've really gone down a rabbit hole with them lately, so much good stuff in little 3-song bites with really good audio. I listened to this one last night and it brought a smiile to my face:

As one of the comments says: "All i can think is u would never know these old guys are such a bunch of badasses if u saw them around a table at a Denny's"

Good job by the singer not falling off that little table btw.
    Listening to that now. Goddamn that's some funky soulful goodness.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

STICK IT!

[QUOTE=Self Jupiter;5619502]Currently playing really small venues, these ones are all over the place stylistically (album to album and song to song):

Really like this. Have to check out more

“Found music” wouldn’t be complete without a patxi post. 90% of the time it’ll be a new find for me. Nice 3:00 samplers
    New vocalist for tower of power and new music. Love those guys. Funk giants
    What is hip? This thread! New fave thread

Always loved these guys and every now and then I fall back down a hole listening to them

loved Morphine, it was such a shocker when Sandman died. Onstage. At 46. Yeesh.

Last edited by Groomer Gambler; 12-13-2019 at 08:01 AM.

Randomly "found" and fitting with the current NPR theme, was listening to the Mac Miller Tiny Desk concert in the RIP thread and saw this guy playing the shit out of his bass

https://youtu.be/QrR_gm6RqCo?t=345

then started listening to his stuff. Kinda all over the place -he's played with everyone from Suicidal Tendencies to Kendrick Lamar to Kenny Loggins and Michael McDonald. Feels like I'm late to this party...

ha, I saw the guy in the pink hoodie while going through them on youtube and almost clicked so thanks

the Andrew Bird Tiny Desk was my fave but is now neck and neck with Tower of Power but it's good

gotta say Tedeschi Trucks is up there too.

[QUOTE=Self Jupiter;5619502]Currently playing really small venues, these ones are all over the place stylistically (album to album and song to song):

Ah yes. I have heard this one. Can’t think where but now I know who it is

I ran across this duo at a local festival "opening" for Tomahawk (mike patton). I use quotes because they were in the bar lounge instead of the main stage. They were surreal in concert.

https://youtu.be/n6UvxIubgjk

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

So I get that it's kinda enough with the NPR clips, but.....

WE WANT THE FUNK!

Saw them at the Depot in SLC in 2017, 2000 white people jumping up and down, it was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    Stumbled into this at a bar in Ithaca awhile ago and blew my mind...

Picks up around 5mins

Some other cool shit from the 2012ish era

wow. I may have just had all the Johhny Dowd I need for the next 17 years but wow. That is something.

I hit shuffle on my Pandora stations tonight. Such variety, yet all kinda stuff I like that I have never heard.
    Ok, maybe not that one song, but yeah.

It must be easier to be told what you like, kudos to you.

It must be easier to be told what you like, kudos to you.
    Possibly. But when they are the 15 some-odd stations I have created based on bands I like, I kinda pointed them in the direction I wanted to go.