Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Blister

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    ...I’d appreciare if they added video in one way or another. Even just simple POV. It’s one thing to read about a ski, but to see how the ski responded to the conditions it was tested under and what the skiers style is would really help.
    I've thought about this a little. When Blister's text often includes still photos of reviewers airing/shredding, those photos add stoke to the page, but they don't provide much legitimate info about the ski---so some people accuse Blister of vanity for publishing those photos. Videos could provide that stoke factor while ALSO providing legitimate info about how the ski's performance influences/inspires the reviewer to choose specific moves/styles, and to stay away from other moves/styles.

I doubt I could observe the ski responding in a POV video, and you can't see the skier either. My first idea was follow-cam---more about watching the skier than watching the ski. I was thinking something like: Sam operates the follow-cam while Luke's skiing is filmed, and Luke says "First I will ski this inbounds run with my natural everyday style on my personal everyday skis. [Then they film Run1 with follow-cam.] Second, I will ski the same run on this new ski, which I've already tested for 8 days, and you'll see how this ski lures me into a different style and inspires me to never miss a side-hit, or go straighter/faster, or whatever.[Then they film Run2. Then at the bottom, Luke testifies on camera.] "Whoa, that ski really lures me into being more frisky and active, and less averse to carrying more speed into those optional moguls on the side of the run." or whatever.

Then viewer watches video and thinks "I do NOT want my style to evolve in the direction of the style changes I just watched Luke experience. I am eliminating that ski from my list of candidates. But that video was good stoke." or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by tenB View Post
    Blister isn't perfect (they need a 6 foot 210lb fairly directional skier that skis the west coast as a reviewer )
    ...I would subscribe if they added a skilled tester of this size. Their reviews for skis in the 184 range are extensive, but rarely do they go as deep for the larger sizes in the same ski.
    I "feel" that way, too. But then I look at the facts. Blister reviewer AK Heli-guide Paul Forward is 6’ 190 lbs, and he can ski heavier than 190 with a loaded heli-guide pack. He has tested a decent number of big/long skis: I think including 194 Devastator, ExitWorld 194cm, Confession 193cm, Liberty Schuster Pro 192cm, QST 118 192cm, 192cm DPS Lotus 138, 191cm DPS Alchemist Lotus 124, Nordica Enforcer Pro 191, Whitedot Redeemer 190, DPS Spoon 190cm, 189cm Head Kore 117, Volkl Kuro, Salomon Rocker2 122, Volkl Two, Shiro, Liberty Genome, Moment Comi, Volkl Bash 135 / Three, Kingswood SMB, Moment Bibby / Blister Pro, etc.

So, maybe what I "feel" is not Blister's fault. Maybe it's that ski companies aren't creating enough new huge powerful ski models every year to keep me excited for upcoming Blister reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by The Amicable Snowman View Post
    ...I don’t buy gear that often — bc it costs a shit-ton.
    I thought maggots learned by now how to get great skis at low prices. Let the gapers and whales pay the high prices to fund our sport.

...But this point by H33 has me hooked: If Blister’s only beholden (or mostly so) to its subscribing readership then it is much more likely to be relevant and accurate.
    That's not how I see Blister. I see Blister as beholden to themselves and the standards they set for themselves. I prefer that they don't cave on their own standards just to please paying subscribers, or to please bitchy freeloaders like me.

Last edited by Vitamin I; 03-02-2019 at 04:28 AM.
    - TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post

Then viewer watches video and thinks "These guys suck at skiing! I’m waaay better than them! Vain, pedantic assholes!”
    Fixed.

I thought maggots learned by now how to get great skis at low prices. Let the gapers and whales pay the high prices to fund our sport.
    Always up for some tips. I get one pair or boots every other year through work. After that, it’s Craigslist, fleabay, and $300 and up still takes planning for me, prole that I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ayuh. Ditto the ice coast.

Agreed. I'd love to see their take on what skis work well for places like Stowe, Sugarbush, Sugarloaf, MRG, Magic, etc. as both groomer options and tree options. I loved the Peacemakers but they're caput and the Rustler series seems different.

That's not how I see Blister. I see Blister as beholden to themselves and the standards they set for themselves. I prefer that they don't cave on their own standards just to please paying subscribers, or to please bitchy freeloaders like me.

That’s sort of what I was driving at, with the idea that subscribers subscribe based on the manifesto. Your point taken as well.

i use it as another reference point and then get out and demo locally when possible. no substitute for a live test when possible.

I'd rather pay $60 to demo skis than read about other people's impressions of skis. I trust just one person when it comes to ski reviews. And that person is me. Good on Blister if they can get people who don't trust their own opinion on a ski. Seems to be a lot of those types.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Blister

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    I'd rather pay $60 to demo skis than read about other people's impressions of skis. I trust just one person when it comes to ski reviews. And that person is me. Good on Blister if they can get people who don't trust their own opinion on a ski. Seems to be a lot of those types.
    This.

I don’t really give a shit that a ski is 0.00X% stiffer in the tips or how it ranks against 14 other skis. Did 6 other people get stoked on it? Cool. Did they enjoy it on stuff I like to ski? Rad. Dims/build looks interesting. I’ll give it a whirl if I find a deal/demo.

I used to have a list of half a dozen or so skis I’d really like to try. Hard to build that list these days.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    This.

I don’t really give a shit that a ski is 0.00X% stiffer in the tips or how it ranks against 14 other skis. Did 6 other people get stoked on it? Cool. Did they enjoy it on stuff I like to ski? Rad. Dims/build looks interesting. I’ll give it a whirl if I find a deal/demo.

I used to have a list of half a dozen or so skis I’d really like to try. Hard to build that list these days.
    That's how my mind works, too.

My list:
    Praxis RX
    Skinny Protest
    Kaestle BMX 105hp
    Moment Commander
    That new metal ON3P
    K2 Mindbender

With a bit of luck, I'll come across the Kaestle and the K2.

End threadjack.

Couldn't agree more about getting on a ski. My impression is the the most important... for me!
    But.... people, like me, who are not near a ski hill don't always get the opportunity to demo interesting skis. If I left it to what was easy to demo, I'd be on a Bonafide or Enforcer (which I liked, but didnt love). Or, I could fly the family to Reno to demo the Moments I though sounded perfect... but for that price I could just buy the ski.

Sites like blister, in combo with discussions with others and forums like TGR gave me the confidence to pull the trigger on a ski I had not tried. And it worked out great (at least this time).
    I totally trust my own opinion, I just cant reasonably get on the skis I want to try.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rob D! View Post
    I totally trust my own opinion, I just cant reasonably get on the skis I want to try.

Exactly. You don’t need the site? Have a perfect life? Don’t read it, then.

I've got a question for the Blister guys, if you're lurking like I do;

In your weekly gear giveaways, what happens with the info I provide like my name, email and otherwise? Does it get sold to third parties?
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    I "feel" that way, too. But then I look at the facts. Blister reviewer AK Heli-guide Paul Forward is 6’ 190 lbs, and he can ski heavier than 190 with a loaded heli-guide pack....
    B/c I'm 6'4", 210, I've only paid attention to Forward's reviews for some time now. I'll skim other reviews, but I have very little in common with many reviewers...but I think that's not limited to Blister and seems pretty common in skis and bikes.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Funny. I have a list of skis I want to try and would buy if the timing/price/need make sense. But would I pay $60 to demo a pair? Not a f’n chance. I don’t even bother to go to demo days. I’d rather just ski my skis and not waste ski days on paying to test gear. I might be in the minority though.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg82 View Post
    I've got a question for the Blister guys, if you're lurking like I do;

In your weekly gear giveaways, what happens with the info I provide like my name, email and otherwise? Does it get sold to third parties?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    B/c I'm 6'4", 210, I've only paid attention to Forward's reviews for some time now. I'll skim other reviews, but I have very little in common with many reviewers...but I think that's not limited to Blister and seems pretty common in skis and bikes.
    I love Paul's reviews and definitely like his take on skis, as the reviewer closest to my size. But his style and snow conditions don't match well with mine (though, I wish I spent my life sking deep AK Heli pow).

Btw, I liked the podcast with Luke from Moment discussing the upcoming lineup. It was a great way to spend my commute!

I agree with Paul Forward being the reviewer I pay most attention to being closest to my size and we’re skiing the same neighborhoods.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

I have a tough time taking anyone who measures skis to a 10th of a millimeter seriously.

Like fucking sweet bro, you just saved me from almost buying a ski which was only 107.8mm wide, instead of 108mm. How would I have fucking skied.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    I have a tough time taking anyone who measures skis to a 10th of a millimeter seriously.

Like fucking sweet bro, you just saved me from almost buying a ski which was only 107.8mm wide, instead of 108mm. How would I have fucking skied.
    Seriously? Consider the length of skis. The Nordica El Capos and their other version were listed at 184 and were like 187... it was goofy.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Seriously? Consider the length of skis. The Nordica El Capos and their other version were listed at 184 and were like 187... it was goofy.
    He’s not talking about length

Quote Originally Posted by terpskier View Post
    He’s not talking about length

Thanks! No shit. *woosh*
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Blister

Honestly, it’s bonehead comments like those that make the Internet more unpleasant than it has to be. No one is arguing that skiing the ski yourself is better than reading a review but how many people can demo multiple skis in many different conditions? Not many. And how many people are lucky enough to demo powder skis on days when they can ski untracked powder?

Plus, if you don’t find Blister valuable because you have access to demo skis then just don’t go there. I can’t wait until people start posting Blister has no value to me because I find skiing stupid or I get no value from Blister because I am sponsored and get my skis for free.

I pick through all the free content (website and podcasts) Blister provides, and find some of it interesting, and occasionally useful. I don’t see any value in paying for the upgraded content, but good on them for making it work. It’s been mentioned previously, but videos could help me determine the credibility of the reviewer, otherwise it’s safe to assume they’re a technically flawed skier who just happens to be able to express an opinion somewhat convincingly.

On the other hand, Powder Magazine’s gear testers just spent a week goofing around my local mountain, which has me thinking, does it really matter that most reviewers are upper intermediate hacks, lacking the technique, physical conditioning, and experience to appreciate the subtleties of gear’s performance, given that most of the people reading the reviews and buying the gear are even less capable. Perhaps these articulate amateurs are the perfect gear reviewers?

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    On the other hand, Powder Magazine’s gear testers just spent a week goofing around my local mountain, which has me thinking, does it really matter that most reviewers are upper intermediate hacks, lacking the technique, physical conditioning, and experience to appreciate the subtleties of gear’s performance, given that most of the people reading the reviews and buying the gear are even less capable. Perhaps these articulate amateurs are the perfect gear reviewers?
    Given that criteria, I hereby volunteer to be Blister's (or Powder's...or Freeskier's) next reviewer...send me some skis STAT!!!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Given that criteria, I hereby volunteer to be Blister's (or Powder's...or Freeskier's) next reviewer...send me some sks STAT!!!
    No shit, sounds like I'd be the best reviewer on the planet. In all seriousness, I do feel like good skiers have the capability to override the flaws in some skis, or at least ski them much better than someone with less experience.

I'll admit to buying all of my skis sight unseen, not demoing them, and justifying a purchase through online reviews after I find a good deal. Although I do ski a few times a week all winter long, I don't feel like I have the time, or the desire to go around demoing stuff, not to mention that most demo's take place earlier in the season, when there's usually just an abundance of groomers available, which I really don't ski most of the year. I think that I'm just the kinda guy who buys a ski and figures it out myself, hopefully stepping up my game to the level of the ski. However that's bitten me in the ass before, with the old BD Zealots that I couldn't turn for shit.

I'd say at least Blister gives it a shot, and I wish them well. I probably won't be paying for their services, but I also don't pay for cable, and am kind of a cheapskate.

Without Blister and TGR I'd have fewer skis and alot less information. I'm grateful for the resources.

Relatedly, what I miss about Betel's presence is the volume. Dude contributed alot of volume and kept the dialogue going. Filter away, extrapolate away to your needs. It's all good.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bry; 03-05-2019 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Can't spell for shit