Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Blister

Jesus Jed.
    What did you start here...?

Blister

I know. All I wanted was to look at a damn 4 year old comparison. Don’t even remember what it was. Pretty sure it was boots.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    Oh my god, JE skis still with his pole straps flapping around. Plz do something about, cut them off, tuck them under your hands, use leki poles, whatever. This is just bad, bad style.
    Snicker

Oh my god, JE skis still with his pole straps flapping around. Plz do something about, cut them off, tuck them under your hands, use leki poles, whatever. This is just bad, bad style.
    More trust in the reviews after reading this data point. Shows situational awareness and wisdom, imo/ime; vet move to prevent shoulder dislocation, wrecked elbows, wrists etc. from pole end gettin' stuck if yer schredden punchy snow, tree'd terrain...and poles release instantly in case of an avy. No pole straps in our heliski op for those reasons.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Why are you reading a ski review if you don't care about representative quality?

other than to be like the gear connoisseurship status "i need to know my 105mm vs. my 107mm ski" dentists bullshitting in this thread, who I suspect are the core market for blister gear. it's about bullshitting about skis, not buying skis. like wine spectator was bullshitting about wine, not buying wine much less drinking wine. neither are untethered from reality, it's just not the target.
    Great analogy. I drink a lot of wine and almost never talk wine. Same shit but reverse

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    More trust in the reviews after reading this data point. Shows situational awareness and wisdom, imo/ime; vet move to prevent shoulder dislocation, wrecked elbows, wrists etc. from pole end gettin' stuck if yer schredden punchy snow, tree'd terrain...and poles release instantly in case of an avy. No pole straps in our heliski op for those reasons.
    Hahaha. Swiss you missed the joke. It’s that he doesn’t use the straps BUT keeps them on his poles. So they flap around all stupid

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Hahaha. Swiss you missed the joke. It’s that he doesn’t use the straps BUT keeps them on his poles. So they flap around all stupid
    No man, again, even more street cred. Use em when you need em for double poling on the flats, attaching water bottle to dip into creek for H2O refillz on ski tours, and uphilling.

A little refinement for flap prevention is re and re trad pole straps with G3 ski straps...extensive ski tour testing sez the G3's are the best...better than the voile's...just the right combo of shock absorption for uphilling with straps on for pole plants on hard surfaces like cock stiff frozen gravel and sand, just enough rigid form factor for instant quick release to re and re gloves/mitts and to resist flap while downhilling at mach schnel. Other benefits include easy bundling of skis for techy bootpack sections, easy to hook a fallen ski that ended up in the creek on a log crossing and nice to have two emergency ski straps always "on hand" for first aid requirements like a broken arm, Another game changer that saved my ski tour life. =D

Name:  51733908_1234968346642500_5023526223372877824_n.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  47.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Master of mediocrity.

Blister

What is happening here?? ^^^

Might be a little thin.

ETA: my pole straps flap around all stupid too. Didn’t know that was a thing. Flapper == gaper? Anyhow, like Swiss said (before he posted that pic of whatever it was he was doing) they’re occasionally useful and never seemed like a problem, so it never made sense to me to chop them off.
    focus.

Blister

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    What is happening here?? ^^^ .
    I think I say this to like 90% of Swissiphics posts. He’s on another planet. More power to him though - it’s cool to see

Sorry for the digreskion guys...heavy week of Ghettowerx product testing r and d work... all mental bandwidth consumed by myopskian context focus. =D
    Master of mediocrity.

I think the biggest mistake people make with straps is actually putting them around their wrists instead of just reaching through them with four fingers, with your thumb outside so half of the strap is against your palm. Helps with retention but they will still release when needed. I’d say about 80% of people don’t do this.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I think the biggest mistake people make with straps is actually putting them around their wrists instead of just reaching through them with four fingers, with your thumb outside so half of the strap is against your palm. Helps with retention but they will still release when needed. I’d say about 80% of people don’t do this.
    I never thought of this pass-thru technique. It's like the early generation, molded strapless grips from the previous millennium.

Great alternative uses @Swissiphic - most of which I hadn't thought of.

It never made sense to cut them off, when ignoring/not using them is easy enough to do. Of course, someone will argue that they add weight ;-)

... Thom

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

All three kids and I are strap flappers. The kids usually use straps correctly when shuffling around on xc skis, but not always.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Anyone have input/data points where those micro variances have any relevance to real world on snow ski feel? I ski 99 percent backcountry heliskiing and ski touring and IMO/ime, it doesn't really matter much in that context. Skied for a few seasons with a cracked core ski which resulted in almost flat camber/more shovel splay/softer flex/altered flex profile...another season with one ski with a bent tip, some delammed skis both repaired and left delammed...really couldn't tell the difference between one or the other aside from just a C hair better float in bottomless conditions on the one cracked rossi xxx bandit compared to the 'normal' one.

Also, unsolicited data point; Can't stand 'new' skis; always find them too reboundy, twitchy, precise...I like em broken in, edges fully detuned and rounded off for tip/tail rocker, work matured...like a seasoned baseball glove. More friendly, forgiving, predictable, schmeary, eezee. Just one man's take.
    Interesting that you bring up the old bandit xxx. I have a friend that lives at a ski village; every day resort/side country skier. He used to go through multiple pairs of xx and xxx’s every season. If i remember correctly, he’d usually “trade them in” on warranty about every 30 days because the cores would wear out/break down. For those skis, he liked the “new” feel. A different man’s take .

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I’m transitioning from tele to fixed heel
    NOOOOOOOO!

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    NOOOOOOOO!
    Probably makes sense, nobody cared.

I tried this today when I took my kids to the hill for a couple hours.

It felt like a lot of fucking around for questionable benefit.

I’ll just be a flapper.
    focus.

Blister

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    I tried this today when I took my kids to the hill for a couple hours.

It felt like a lot of fucking around for questionable benefit.

I’ll just be a flapper.
    You just reach through- it’s actually faster / easier than putting them on the way most do.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

You just reach through- it’s actually faster / easier than putting them on the way most do.
    Faster still to just.... grab the handle. Been a long time since I’ve dropped a pole.
    focus.

good thread guys

Sometimes you can really make a change through this forum. JE finally without flippy floppy pole straps. Yeah man!

You have too much free time on your hands.

Sometimes you can really make a change through this forum. JE finally without flippy floppy pole straps. Yeah man!

Quote Originally Posted by PNW-skier78 View Post
    You have too much free time on your hands.
    That’s right. I fucked up my knee at the beginning of march and can do exactly nothing with my left leg. Zero load for another 3 weeks. TGR keeps me to a certain degree mentally upright.

Did you tear your meniscus? Good luck with the recovery. I tore my ACL and meniscus in my left knee in 2011 and did the same to my right in 2015.

Listen to your PT and get ready for next season.

That’s right. I fucked up my knee at the beginning of march and can do exactly nothing with my left leg. Zero load for another 3 weeks. TGR keeps me to a certain degree mentally upright.

Quote Originally Posted by PNW-skier78 View Post
    Did you tear your meniscus? Good luck with the recovery. I tore my ACL and meniscus in my left knee in 2011 and did the same to my right in 2015.

Listen to your PT and get ready for next season.
    No, I managed to fracture the lateral part of my tibia head. Thanks god no other injuries to ligaments or menisci. My first significant injury in many years of skiing. I have to crank down my pivots, I guess. The injury was caused basically by a non-release of one ski.