Problem upgrading to Mojave on the Mac

So, I followed advice I got online in early 16, and bought a '10-ish Mac Pro tower from OWC (Other world Computing, great value. Thought I'd be dropping 6 grand on a trashcan, this was MUCH cheaper) with a new SSD drive and two 2T storage drives. Have been happy with the setup since, matching it up with an Eizo monitor and Epson P800. Great value. But.

Usually I try to ignore OS updates unless I have to. If everything is working well, why walk into a hornet's nest. So, Sierra was fine. Never upgraded to High Sierra, let alone Mojave. Heard rumbles that Mojave brought headaches, and headaches I do not need. Now, just recently Lightroom has introduced a new feature, Enhance Details, which sounds like it's right up my alley. Try to access it, and they tell me that I need High Sierra or later to use it. Fine. Time to upgrade, then. But, try to upgrade, and I can't. I'm thinking that it's because I'm using a third party SSD, and the Adobe installer won't work with that. I'm back and forth with OWC tech on this, and at first they thought I needed a new graphics card, but, that didn't work. The old one is compatible. I'm stumped. Back on the phone tomorrow, but, just here to see if anybody else has had issues. Anybody?

Here's my computer:

Mac Pro (Mid 2010)

Processor 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon

Memory 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics AMD Radeon HD 7xxx 3072 MB

2 redundant 2T storage drives.

I use this machine only for photography. Lightroom, Photoshop, and Bridge.

I have a mid 2015 Retina Mac Book Pro 15, I took Mojave off the moment I put it on, I never plan on putting it back as it ground the machine (512mb SSD and 16GB of Ram) to a halt. I have a back up stick with High Serria on it incase it does it automatically, even though I have it all turned off etc.
    I Came, I Saw, I .... Made A Slight Effort & Then Went Home For Lunch.

Did you first upgrade to High Sierra? Even with a compatible graphics card, apple says you need to upgrade to high sierra:

From https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208898:

"Before you upgrade to macOS Mojave on these Mac Pro models, you need to update to macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 and then make sure that your graphics card is compatible. You also need to turn off FileVault."

But, once you upgrade to High Sierra you might be set anyway for the adobe software?

That's my problem. Even after the supposed firmware update procedure , still won't allow me to go to High Sierra. Still says I need the firmware update. Just did it for the fifth time.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    That's my problem. Even after the supposed firmware update procedure , still won't allow me to go to High Sierra. Still says I need the firmware update. Just did it for the fifth time.
    Did you do a system restore to get you back to factory? I upgraded my 2015 MBP to Mojave and did that first. It went fairly smoothly and I always like starting fresh with a new OS

maybe you've already researched this...

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 10.49.28 AM.png
Views: 203
Size:  166.4 KB

http://osxdaily.com/2018/06/05/macos...ble-macs-list/

Quote Originally Posted by maximusj View Post
    Did you first upgrade to High Sierra? Even with a compatible graphics card, apple says you need to upgrade to high sierra:

From https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208898:

"Before you upgrade to macOS Mojave on these Mac Pro models, you need to update to macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 and then make sure that your graphics card is compatible. You also need to turn off FileVault."

But, once you upgrade to High Sierra you might be set anyway for the adobe software?
    colon screws up link...link w/out colon at end:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208898

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Graphics AMD Radeon HD 7xxx 3072 MB
    AMD Radeon HD 7xxx does not appear to be on list
    • AMD Radeon RX 560
    • AMD Radeon RX 570
    • AMD Radeon RX 580
    • AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
    • AMD Radeon RX Vega 56
    • AMD Radeon RX Vega 64
    • AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100
    • AMD Radeon Frontier Edition

Hmmmm...that's interesting, because I just copied and pasted the system info into my original post, but my graphics card is actually a SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7950 Mac Edition which is metal compatible and good for Mojave. So maybe my system is not recognizing the card, somehow. Hmmmm. I was ready to give up on all this, mainly because I did some rexearch on this Enhance Details feature in Lightroom and it sounds like it isn't worth the bother. For now. Back to the phone and OWC tech world.

Edit. No, semantics. The Sapphire card is made by AMD, Radeon. Damn.
    Last edited by Benny Profane; 02-23-2019 at 09:33 AM.

Funny thing. I went to the OWC site to shop around, since I'm accepting that I'll need a new machine sometime, so, just curious. First, the selection of used trashcans is non existent, so had to look at this vintage 2010-12 tower pricing. But, when I get into specs, I read this: "Pre-loaded with macOS 10.12 Sierra". Hmmmm. So, that means that they aren't even selling these things with anything beyond Sierra. Because, well, they can't load them up with Mojave, like I can't with mine? I guess. So, hmmmm, maybe they were just messing me around, instead of telling me, sorry, won't work. Maybe. But, the fact that they are selling these things with only Sierra loaded is sort of a tell that there are issues. Nice people, though.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point