Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Yes the bay area sucks. But so does most of America so there's that.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Born and lived in the Bay for a few short of 30 years. If you're making that big tech money it's good, but if not I would not recommend it right now. I'm moving in the summer...

Cons
    - Only getting more and more expensive
    - Traffic is the worst it's ever been, and the drivers have gotten worse. Don't expect any infrastructure rehab in the next 5-10 years.
    - True culture is being pushed out of the area due to insane tech $
    - Theft (especially auto) is on the rise due to the income inequality
    - Schools are getting worse due to teachers not being able to live nearby
    - The infrastructure in Tahoe is really strained right now and also can't see that being fixed around 5 years...maybe out at 10 years
    - Tahoe/ mountains are further away than they are in Seattle.
    - Did I mention traffic/ drive times? (only a few times in the last 2 years have I made the Tahoe->SF drive in sub 3.5hrs)

Pros
    - If you live in the right area the access to mtb is great (marin, parts of the peninsula). If not expect that traffic to get you if you don't plan, with your family obligations this is big.
    - Sierra skiing is rad, and Sierras in the summer is also awesome.
    - If you can live in a place where you can "reverse" commute the traffic isn't as bad.
    - If you can get into tech $, that's good
    - Weather
    - Access to just about any food you can think of
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    I know lots of people who are leaving the bay. In many cases they are couples with a combined income in the multiples of six figures.
    Likewise, including two buddies on the forum here.

Hell, me too. East Bay to Lower Foothills in Placer County recently. But I grew up in the Foothills and was moving back.

Note though: My job and buddies' jobs are not area-dependent. Contra many tech and biotech jobs.

My general take on the Bay Area is that it's a wonderful place to live if your salary really makes up for the cost of living and your position is such that you couldn't do it elsewhere. So basically, tech. If not, the juice isn't worth the squeeze. I spent 15 years there in college, law school, and starting my career. Santa Clara, SF, San Ramon. But when the lawyers are getting priced out and leaving? That's when you know things are bad...

ETA: Traffic in LA/OC used to be way worse than the Bay. Bay Area traffic now is in the ballpark as bad as down there. Worse, according to some studies. And up 80% since 2010. Yes, I know Seattle has gotten way worse too, but...
    Last edited by LightRanger; 02-22-2019 at 01:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Good input here, need to do more research on rental costs to try and minimize commute if we give it a go. I have looked at purchase prices but would want to rent for a year or 2 before committing.
    Where are the best mtb trails, I like steep and technical (tiger/27/chuckanut type)? I have browsed trailforks but it is hard to judge.
    A trip to visit is always a good call if we start getting more serious.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Good input here, need to do more research on rental costs to try and minimize commute if we give it a go. I have looked at purchase prices but would want to rent for a year or 2 before committing.
    Where are the best mtb trails, I like steep and technical (tiger/27/chuckanut type)? I have browsed trailforks but it is hard to judge.
    Those are very PNW style trails. I would bet bottom dollar anything along those lines in SF would very secret and illegal. Marin biking is absolutely nothing like PNW biking.

I'm still amazed how many people let their careers rule their lives...

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Those are very PNW style trails. I would bet bottom dollar anything along those lines in SF would very secret and illegal. Marin biking is absolutely nothing like PNW biking.
    I'm confused. Marin biking is awesome if you know where to go. Not all the good trails are illegal, and not that secret. Just make some friends in the area and you'll be fine. The Bay Area has incredible mountain biking, with literally every type of terrain imaginable. If you want to go a little further the options are endless.

Just off the top of my head...

Marin has fun legal trails, even more fun illegal trails, but the legal stuff is good and it's not just Tamarancho.
    Skeggs near Half moon bay has a great trail system
    Pacifica has steeps, flow, jumps, etc, great views, close to SF
    Santa Cruz has amazing "PNW" style trails, steeps, jumps, berms, you name it. No wonder some of the top bike brands are based around there.
    Santa Rosa has Annadel, which is such a great legal trail zone, with it's fair share of tech and flow without any brutal climbs.
    Oakland hills has Joaquin Miller park has some fun loops that are quick and dirty
    Crocket hills has some fun stuff

Sure, you need to drive around if you want a variety but almost every area in the Bay has some good local offerings.

If you want to drive a little more you've got

Mendicino woodlands - About as PNW as it gets... insane trail system
    Tahoe Basin has all types of trails, Northstar for bike park too
    Auburn has awesome trails
    Downieville area is blowing up with new trails every year (Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship rules)

All the negatives in this thread can be worked around if you have a brain that's not like a sheep.
    Last edited by kungpow; 02-22-2019 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kungpow View Post
    All the negatives in this thread can be worked around if you have a brain that's not like a sheep.
    Money=brains? Probably..

San Mateo County is one of the best places to live in the world with regard to climate, recreation, and opportunity. If you can afford it..

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Money=brains? Probably..
    More like leaving for Tahoe during rush hour and complaining about traffic. Sure when it snows and 80 is closed/full of idiots its annoying. It's all about working around basic things like leaving very early or late to get somewhere when you know everyones on the road.

Yes its expensive as hell in the Bay Area... But if you live here and take full advantage of the offerings you'll see why.

San Mateo County is one of the best places to live in the world with regard to climate, recreation, and opportunity. If you can afford it..

Skeggs is awesome. I reckon I'll go there tomorrow for a ride. There's a couple trails I need to do still.

That vid brought back memories. I rode there sooooooooo much.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Where are the best mtb trails, I like steep and technical (tiger/27/chuckanut type)?
    Santa Cruz, Downieville, and Tahoe

Thank you for proving my point for me. As a mountain biker im offended that is even considered mountain biking.
    im assuming OP is looking more for something like this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv2FdQIo6JE

Thank you for proving my point for me. As a mountain biker im offended that is even considered mountain biking.
    Apart from the few jumps the "technicality" of that trail isn't any more than the san mateo video

More like leaving for Tahoe during rush hour and complaining about traffic. Sure when it snows and 80 is closed/full of idiots its annoying. It's all about working around basic things like leaving very early or late to get somewhere when you know everyones on the road.
    Not everyone can do this. When I was young and single I could chase storms and time traffic while doing it but I'm guessing that will be harder when I have kids. It's all about priorities and if you prioritize snow above all else you can always make it work. If you're balancing career, family, and outdoors though then it becomes a lot harder.

Quote Originally Posted by fk View Post
    Not everyone can do this. When I was young and single I could chase storms and time traffic while doing it but I'm guessing that will be harder when I have kids. It's all about priorities and if you prioritize snow above all else you can always make it work. If you're balancing career, family, and outdoors though then it becomes a lot harder.
    Growing up we always left at 4/5am or after 7/8pm going to Tahoe. From a young age we were dodging traffic and the crowds as much as we could. My mom would call me in sick from school just to beat the crowds... But of course this doesn't work for everyone.

Having friends/family with places in Tahoe doesn't hurt either.

If it wasn't for Marin mountain biking you wouldn't even be able to have your bitchy opinion about what is and is not mountain biking. Go fuck yourself.

Before our daughter started school, we almost always left very early on Sat. morning, and came back to the Bay Area on Monday morning if we only had the weekend. We just thought it was maybe a little cruel to get her out of bed at 4:00 AM on a Monday to make sure she go to school on time.
    It was also right about this time that the dot bomb went off and kinda ruined the whole thing anyway.

Good luck.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

If it wasn't for Marin mountain biking you wouldn't even be able to have your bitchy opinion about what is and is not mountain biking. Go fuck yourself.

Well, that whole mountain bike thing escalated quickly...

Another thing to consider financially is the state income tax. Washington does not have one. California does, somewhere in the neighborhood of 13%. (CA mags correct me here)
    That's a big hit to your net take-home, along with an insane rise in housing cost. So keep that in mind.

My brother lived in various point of San Francisco for nearly a decade and I visited often. I'm still down there quite a bit as my job as tech dental lawyer takes me there. It's a rad city. I'm not sure I could live there. Maybe the peninsula. Maybe.

Sorry, i was admittedly being a little over the top. However, if the OP is serious about steep and technical biking like he mentioned, that looks like a serious change in riding styles. I do realize that there is a lot of history in biking down there, but mtb has changed significantly in the past 5 years. After watching that video, I know its not the kind of riding I would enjoy for more than a few days...

Does the Bay Area Suck? Yes. That is a good thing if you windsurf, though. The North Pacific High's wind raging down the coast is sucked from the cold Pacific through the Gate and towards the hot central valley, providing steady, strong and reliable wind probably in excess of 150 days/year. But, it is expensive, crowded, and shakes and catches on fire from time to time.

The Bay is great. Transitioning from Seattle would be a fairly smooth switch. Kind of a longer drive for skiing.
    Too bad it sucks, as I finally had to GTFO. Too many people and expensive as fuck. It's cool, but I don't miss it.
    Hope this clears things up.

Cost of living would be the same or higher.
    Traffic would be the same or worse.
    Drive to the mountains would be farther.
    Water is just as cold or colder.
    Weather might be better depending on exactly where you are in the Bay Area, the year, and the season.

Does the Bay Area Suck

I truly don’t see how an average, middle class or even upper middle class person affords to live there.
    I’ve very much enjoyed visiting in the past, but don’t see anyway I could ever live there, but my household income isn’t 1mill+.

Sorry, i was admittedly being a little over the top. However, if the OP is serious about steep and technical biking like he mentioned, that looks like a serious change in riding styles. I do realize that there is a lot of history in biking down there, but mtb has changed significantly in the past 5 years. After watching that video, I know its not the kind of riding I would enjoy for more than a few days...

Sounds good but if your basing your knowledge of Bay Area mountain biking off one video of one trail in one location then I can’t help you. If you’ve ridden or even heard of any of the trails in Santa Cruz you’d probably be eating your words. Technical steep trails littered through dense forests and ferns. Kinda a lot like some place up north.

Anyways, the Bay Area sucks. It’s too expensive and crowded. There’s nothing to do.

But really it’s like anywhere in the world you make the best of it. Bitch less ride more.