Digitally Overlaying Binding Templates

I know some of us digitally compare binding templates for hole conflicts. I find it useful to do a quick overlay before I buy used skis, or decide to swap or move some bindings around.

To do this I use Bluebeam Revu, a engineering focused pdf program. If you do not have access to Bluebeam, you can likely use any higher caliber PDF program, drafting/CAD program, or possibly an image editing program... Anything that will allow you to drop in a PDF and maintain its scale really. Google sketchup might even work.... Bluebeam does have a 30 day free trail if you need to use it once... If using other programs, the names of the tools and the procedure will be different, but the process would be the same; drop the PDFs onto the same document, align them and maintain the scale...

Directions if using Bluebeam:
    - Create a new blank document. I use a ARCH D sheet in portrait because it is 36" tall by 24" wide.
    - Set the page scale at a true 1"=1". The PDF binding templates are 1:1 scale...
    - Draw a vertical line down the center of the document. This line will represent the centerline of the ski.
    - Draw a horizontal line across the center of the document. This line will represent the mount point.
    ** If you have mount holes at different mount points, then create additional horizontal lines, to scale; IE; If you have a 0 mount and a +2cm mount, put a horizontal line at the center of the page, and one 2cm above....
    ** I like to "Lock" or "Flatten" these lines so that you don't accidentally modify them in subsequent steps. I do this by right clicking and selecting "Flatten" or "Lock".
    - Open up your PDF binding template documents.
    - Use the "Snapshot" tool to take a snapshot of each template, toes and heels individually, getting all the required content: holes, scale, BSL lines, etc.
    - Paste the Snapshot on your overlay blank background, align it perfectly with the mount point per the BSL and the centerline.
    ** I like to change the color of each template so that they are easier to differentiate. I do this by right clicking the snapshot and selecting "Change Colors".
    ** I like to place each template on a different layer so that I can hide the or show them so it is easy to compare. I do this by right clicking the snapshot and selecting "Layer" > "Create New Layer" and naming them.
    ** I like to "Lock" or "Flatten" the snapshots so that you don't accidentally modify them in subsequent steps. I do this by right clicking and selecting "Flatten" or "Lock".
    - Repeat this for each heel and toe you are comparing.

BOOM DONE. Now you have a digital overlay of what the conflicts you might have... On Bluebeam you can use the measure tool to find horizontal spacing between holes.

See attached examples.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bonafide FKS+1 vs Solly.pdf 
Views:	42 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	270805Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cochise Griff vs Solly.pdf 
Views:	37 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	270806Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lhasa Dynafit vs Duke vs Solly.pdf 
Views:	37 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	270807
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

It's actually easier to do this on Illustrator or a free vector graphics process since those programs are already way more "fluent" in pdf's and images. So making sure your scaling and positioning is way easier.

Photoshop, or even Word is possible as well. You have have to spend much more time and make sure your scaling is accurate and don't stretch your template.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

I once made a template from the lid of a kirkland pizza box
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I have solly and tyrolia templates made from drilled boot areas of skis. About 18 inches long, drilled all the way through the bases. C clamp to drill or dot drill holes on ski with felt pen.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    I have solly and tyrolia templates made from drilled boot areas of skis. About 18 inches long, drilled all the way through the bases. C clamp to drill or dot drill holes on ski with felt pen.
    I'm kinda bummed I've never thought of this. What a badass idea.i think I'm gonna make one now that has a window cut between old mount holes to help square the 'jig' on the new ski centerline