Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SLC Road Ride Suggestions for March 16?

Well, it looks like Corner Canyon might be too snowy/muddy, so I am looking for an interesting road ride. I am staying at Little America, but I am willing to drive wherever for less traffic/more hills. Would Mill Creek Road be plowed by then? Anyone wanna ride?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Would Park City area make more sense?

Millcreek will be snowy but you can go pretty far up from LA, roughly to porter fork. Or just do LCC or BCC.

What about ski traffic in lcc and bcc? Wide shoulders don't seem too likely...

They may be just as wide in the spring time as the summer, just with nice pillowy berms to land in when you get hit by a car. So technically safer.

Just ask us before you go for a road report. People bike up LCC during the winter frequently, even January if the weather is nice. BCC might be sketchier, it's my first season up there so not familiar with how many people bike up it.

Not a roadie, but I'd suggest Emigration.

I’m not around anymore but I would imagine you could string together a route in the downtown area that includes emigration canyon, the university area, and possibly even city creek if it’s not snow covered.

Saltair is a flat 50 miles from downtown.

Antelope island is another mostly flat possibility that time a year.

x3 on Emigration. People ride road bikes on Emigration year round. The road is narrow in places but speeds are low for cars (40mph) and drivers are accustomed to seeing people on bikes.

For a longer ride you can go to the top of Emigration and then drop down to the Mountain Dell golf course, or there's even a slim possibility of riding to the top of Big Mountain pass if the snow has melted off the road by then.

Jordan River Parkway and/or the Murdock Canal Trail.

this season, I highly doubt big mountain will be in, unless we get a long warm spell between now and then.
    Where are you staying? If you're closer to SLC proper, I've got some good routes/loops that include emigration. Another one I like is city creek, car free, and plowed up to the treatment plant. I can easily put together a great ~30-40 mile loop with City Creek and Emi and some bike friendly streets. Or just come to BBIUT that weekend and ski and party with the rest of us degens. Lots of mags coming into town.

Send me a PM and I'll get a bit more specific!
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

I am staying at little America for kiddo’s hockey tournament, so my free time is limited to Sat. Afternoon. But thanks for the invite! Where would I park for emigration canyon, or do you suggest riding from downtown? I don’t really want to deal with stoplights/etc much...

Park here:
    https://goo.gl/maps/FRS9zfMN6RA2

Head up the road, you'll come to a hairpin right/funky 3 way intersection ~^ miles up, go right, ascend the two steep switchbacks to the summit. If you want to add more climbing on the way up you can take a L onto Pioneer fork road at the fire station after ~2.5 miles. That adds a decent bit more climbing, full route from the Left at mile 2.5/6 here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	emi.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	360.8 KB 
ID:	270761
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

SLC Road Ride Suggestions for March 16?

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I am staying at little America for kiddo’s hockey tournament, so my free time is limited to Sat. Afternoon. But thanks for the invite! Where would I park for emigration canyon, or do you suggest riding from downtown? I don’t really want to deal with stoplights/etc much...
    Ride from downtown. Look on the Strava heat map to plan a route from your location.

I’d probably head up main to canyon road and up city creek to warm up. Back down and east across the aves on 11th. From there circle around the U and head for the zoo and straight up Emi. When you get to the top turn around and glide back down with a detour through sugarhouse and back north on 600 east through liberty park. Or just cruise down Sunnyside/800 south from the canyon to 300 east and back north to your hotel.

Damn, makes me miss the road riding in slc. It’s been 10 years since I rode a lot downtown but it was fun going down memory lane.

Slightly OT, but do you think BST might by dry enough for a 2 hr. mt. Bike ride that early?

Slightly OT, but do you think BST might by dry enough for a 2 hr. mt. Bike ride that early?
    Definitely possible.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Good chance. Usually is but it'll be hit or miss. This year it seems like winter is back so who knows.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

I like/enjoy the ride out to Antelope Island a lot in the early spring. Not a lot of traffic or bugs yet. Plus my legs arent up to the canyon grind. Its a good 50 mile loop if done from the Smiths parking lot on Antelope Drive

Edited, its an out and back not a loop.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

If the inversion is in, don’t ride. If not, then antelope island is a good idea. If cold you could rent a fat bike in park city and lap everything round valley for four hours. I know Storm Cycle and Bike Demo are two places that rent. Climbing the canyons in March would be pretty hit and miss based on storms and crap on the shoulders from salt trucks.

Forgot about that pesky inversion. Worst case I could bring my fat bike instead...

Forgot about that pesky inversion. Worst case I could bring my fat bike instead...
    Pretty rare for us to have inversion in March.

Emigration is riding great right now.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Draper city is reporting that Aqueduct, Rattler, BST, Quail, and Lower Ghost Falls are good to go as of 3/1.

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    Draper city is reporting that Aqueduct, Rattler, BST, Quail, and Lower Ghost Falls are good to go as of 3/1.
    It was good last night, but after today's storm it might be a few days.

This is encouraging.
    I have a brand new mountain bike that I haven’t ridden yet...

This is encouraging.
    I have a brand new mountain bike that I haven’t ridden yet...
    Hit me up when it gets closer, this time of year conditions change hourly.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk