Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Lack of flexibility is an issue. Forgot it's all old dentists here.

Leaning forward is detrimental to skinning. Lifters put you forward. It's tantamount to skiing backseat.

Lifters only put you forward if they’re too high relative to the terrain. If that’s the case you’re using them wrong.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Lifters only put you forward if they’re too high relative to the terrain. If that’s the case you’re using them wrong.
    So what's the optimal relation between terrain and lifters and what's too much?

Too much points your toes down. The right height still has your toes above heels.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    So what's the optimal relation between terrain and lifters and what's too much?
    when it gets steep I put up the low riser, when it gets more steeper i put up the higher riser and take them down as it gets less steep

its a feeling
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I'd never survive the shifts. Heel risers should all go to 11, imo. Need the stack height for 40 degree skin trails. Things you can do on a firm spring refreeze crust when you add grip aids to skins. Stewart tested and true.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090293.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	286.3 KB 
ID:	271478

Name:	P1090346.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	239.7 KB 
ID:	271479

Name:	P1090347.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	271480

Name:	P1090350.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	342.7 KB 
ID:	271481

Name:	P1090352.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	262.7 KB 
ID:	271482
    Master of mediocrity.

People are quick to go to a higher riser rather than work on their flexibility. Their loss when it comes to traction.

swissiphic what's the weight of that mod? I saved 23 x 2 grams by removing my vipec high risers.

Disagree, I worked on my flexibilty by dating a Yoga instructor

actualy what happens is it feels uncomfortable so you use use different risers until doesnt feel uncomfortable

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    People are quick to go to a higher riser rather than work on their flexibility. Their loss when it comes to traction.

swissiphic what's the weight of that mod? I saved 23 x 2 grams by removing my vipec high risers.
    lol, dunno and don't care. I add weight to everything with boot mods, ski tip extenders, alu strips taped to 2000 to 2400 gram per ski topsheets, etc....

I ain't no rednekk rando racer, just out to walk in the snow, halve my stride to arrive revived and smoke my ciggies at rest stops...and still get the job done.

That aside; ime/imo: high heel riser/vs/no or low heel riser....to a degree is a personal anatomy/body balance weight proportion/what boots you use for ROM based subjective thingie. The amount of in boot ramp is a factor as well. A buddy I tour with frequently wears dynafit tlt 7's with dynafit expedition binders with no hi heel risers and he follows me up everything in the 'normal' range of skin trail angles (>32 degrees?) no problemo...and sometimes when i look back he's on the flat setting while i'm on the stock 'hi' setting. Different strokes for different folks. Live and let live.
    Master of mediocrity.

Heh we got too TGRish. This was about improving grip. I pointed out what consistently improves my grip.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    That aside; ime/imo: high heel riser/vs/no or low heel riser....to a degree is a personal anatomy/body balance weight proportion/what boots you use for ROM based subjective thingie. The amount of in boot ramp is a factor as well. A buddy I tour with frequently wears dynafit tlt 7's with dynafit expedition binders with no hi heel risers and he follows me up everything in the 'normal' range of skin trail angles (>32 degrees?) no problemo...and sometimes when i look back he's on the flat setting while i'm on the stock 'hi' setting. Different strokes for different folks. Live and let live.
    Definitely yeah. I have no problem (and even enjoy) taking the ultrasteep Wasatch skinners with my rando no-high-riser bindings + Fischer Carbon Travers boots, never have an issue even if it's steeper than I'd set it, BUT that boot and I have lots of ROM; less flexible boots or ankles and I'd really need that high riser to get up things like the Grannies skinner. Use whatever works for you, just don't fuck up the kickturns...

I will say, having skied a fair amount of 40º+ this season, I can't really wrap my head around skinning straight up it (though I will tend to prefer skinning up to maybe 38º via switchbacks in soft snow, as opposed to booting) even with ski crampons and wild-ass modded ultrahigh risers... that's fuckin steep!

Skinning race on whitewall at KH?

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    I will say, having skied a fair amount of 40º+ this season, I can't really wrap my head around skinning straight up it (though I will tend to prefer skinning up to maybe 38º via switchbacks in soft snow, as opposed to booting) even with ski crampons and wild-ass modded ultrahigh risers... that's fuckin steep!
    Truth be told, it's terrifying cause you know if you blow a step it's pretty much assured that it's tomahawk city. Whippets help the psychological state. Having said that...the damn skins grip so well and with the correct foot angle of the boots on the 11 heel riser setting, objectively it just feels like your rest stepping up a steep flight of stairs. I've had a few slips in micro steep features but not yet on a steep, smooth, planar slope...which i kinda had in mind designing this setup. The new limiting factor is the lack of tactile ski pole tip pen into hard snow. With the angle of tip vs slope, tips tends to zipper downwards and are unreliable for balance aids. Next step is to mitigate that factor with the next new mod: the dual ski pole tip. A quick release clamp on tip that protrudes at a 45 degree angle from the stock tip; thereby always ensuring a dual penetration, redundant, +/- 90 degrees to fall line ski pole tip in snow in steep terrain.
    Master of mediocrity.

Good info and sure it is all about the up. Anyway, might get beat up for this but hot waxing your skins can do two things, one, keep skins from glopping up easily and if you hot wax with yellow or purple it will add stick to ice and cold snow and improve grip. So, to hot wax skins you put skins on skis and buff wax into fiber. Then run a hot iron over the fiber and that is it. I will usually buff in a little more wax underfoot. Run iron over fiber pretty quick one pass.
    WORKS might improve glide...........

I want to see pics of you skining up 40*!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    I want to see pics of you skining up 40*!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    had pics/vid but lost it in a hard drive crash over the summer. will retake once late march/april hits! Like they say in science: extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence!
    Master of mediocrity.

ime you go steeper slower or you go less steep faster, which reminds me of a time when buddy is bootpacking straight up a wind loaded coulior and i am off to the side taking a more diagonal path with ski crampons

I make a note to self that in spite of going straight up he ain't any higher than I am (altitude wise) which is about the time the whole fucking thing let go except where I was standing

etched in my brain, I can still see it just like it happened today

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    ime you go steeper slower or you go less steep faster, which reminds me of a time when buddy is bootpacking straight up a wind loaded coulior and i am off to the side taking a more diagonal path with ski crampons
    Yer buddy shoulda used the Dairylanderz. Woulda lapped u.

Name:	P1100555.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	271641
    Master of mediocrity.

except in spite of having similar stamina he didn't and he wouldn't have

for our american friends Dairyland is a milk company and those are milk cartons

does the dairylanderz mod require that one also melts the intuition liners ?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 02-27-2019 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    does the dairylanderz mod require that one also melts the intuition liners ?
    Only if one wishes to increase rear ROM and make it to go to 11.
    Master of mediocrity.