Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wash your gear?

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    in decades of skiing i have yet to be hit once with "grease from lift tower" have you? congrats you are essentially a lottery winner. i worked lifts at vail back in the day , never hit.....i have won a scratch off tho... note i didnt say "serviced" lifts, but most here are riding lifts....
    Yes. That's why I washed my Theta jacket recently, actually.

And it's happened with older gear too. No idea where it came from, but there it was, on the shoulder and upper back. Several black grease spotches.

I don't much care about the factory DWR-level (and yes, I know and can tell the difference between new DWR and old/retreated). If it repels water and keeps me dry, that's fine. I do, however, want my jacket to not look like shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Well that fuckin' blows.

Good -- I need me some fresh pants since you wont make any.
    yep fulfillment blows...

the great news on pants is that they should still be around along time to warranty them ( when you inevitably blow them out like we all do at some point) cause at $100 sale they are still making $75 in profit to put back in the company
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

we had an NRS dry suit that almost all the tape had fallen off of the seams, certain vintages of NRS gortex do this,

we normaly fix by slathering plasti-dip on the seams, so I pointed it out to the boss this one was just too fucked up to fix

a week later buddy tells me they fixed it ... by ironing all the tape back on

Most well made gortex does not delam

i'm gona just keep washing once a year or so
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

exactly....lol....everyone beat up and buy more....however,....my websites are currently down cause the new fulfillment place already quit....so there's that! lol columbia lookin good, tons of $100 flylow out there this time of year too....

ps AK, i think hermes are the ones the upscale gals are after....
    My daughter and wife exclusively wear Columbia.

Shits great! And affordable. Omni Heat keeps’em from being too whiney when it’s cold.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Yes. That's why I washed my Theta jacket recently, actually.

And it's happened with older gear too. No idea where it came from, but there it was, on the shoulder and upper back. Several black grease spotches.

I don't much care about the factory DWR-level (and yes, I know and can tell the difference between new DWR and old/retreated). If it repels water and keeps me dry, that's fine. I do, however, want my jacket to not look like shit.
    please please be careful as you seriously no kidding have a possible lightening strike occurring soon...or maybe a powerball win !
    hopefully powerball
    www.freeridesystems.com

please please be careful as you seriously no kidding have a possible lightening strike occurring soon...or maybe a powerball win !
    hopefully powerball
    To be fair, my buddy got dripped on by grease on his brand new Flylow.

Serves him right for skiing Eldora.

I got grease bukkakied by a Crystal mountain chair.

Got it out of my jacket after some degreaser, some Shout, and powdered detergent. Good as new.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    To be fair, my buddy got dripped on by grease on his brand new Flylow.

Serves him right for skiing Eldora.
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    I got grease bukkakied by a Crystal mountain chair. .
    i swear i think its like having a bird shat on you....its lucky....im never lucky

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	poop.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	266.8 KB 
ID:	270819
    www.freeridesystems.com

Most of my kit eventually has grease fall on it, but I ski in NE so I’m used to getting shit on

So this might be a really stupid question, but how do factories apply DWR?

Quote Originally Posted by Adrgha View Post
    So this might be a really stupid question, but how do factories apply DWR?
    that would be at the fabric factories ....pretty sure it is sprayed or put through a bath mechanically onto the face (griege) layer and dried before lamination of the other 2 fabric layers (griege/membrane/interior)or if non membraned but DWR coated (greige/interior)....which all take heat to adhere layers....but could be after layer lamination... im not 100%...but not done in outerwear making factories

thinking out loud and making some assumptions... and from having lots of raw fabric at hand to observe, unlikely dwr is added to already laminated fabric as it would coat all layers and create a problem...also note that if only the greige gets the bath or spray it prevents some sort of hydrophobic polymers from getting on the inside of the fabric and having contact with your skin. As for retreatments a spray on or wash in is going to be more likely to come into contact with your skin upon use from the interior. (spray on would spread in the home dryer, maybe not if line dried) Wash in def would

pretty much how the sausage gets made video and it is for cotton and printing.... but....probably in a bath for the greige prior to lamination to membrane....i doubt while as a synthetic yarn because you would not have a monolithic coat on the gray material and since the yarn would have to still be woven, and applied after the color dye

warning 17 min but worth a watch imo

laminating fabric (small scale)
    Hot chick warning !!

kind of the final follow up to the above, especially if you get perplexed from all the chem baths from vid 1

The True Cost trailer
    Thankfully the full documentary is still on Netflix...u should watch if you can....
    I wish I could share with you how freeride systems is part of the solution in all of this but it is a trade secret and will be told when I sell out or quit all together.....so maybe one day
    Last edited by MiCol; 02-21-2019 at 07:26 PM.
    www.freeridesystems.com

exactly....lol....everyone beat up and buy more....however,....my websites are currently down cause the new fulfillment place already quit....so there's that! lol columbia lookin good, tons of $100 flylow out there this time of year too....

ps AK, i think hermes are the ones the upscale gals are after....
    You laugh but this sucks cause I actually need pants, dammit. Of course, it sucks more for you: good luck getting it up again.