Name:  bear_creek2.jpg
Views: 1891
Size:  76.5 KB
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

From FB:

Bear Creek Trail is closed until further notice by order of the Sheriff with NO access permitted from the trailhead in Telluride or from the Telluride Ski area for the safety of rescuers searching for a missing backcountry skier who may have been injured or caught in an avalanche today (Tuesday). The Telluride man was reported overdue by a concerned family member around 4:20pm Tuesday. Deputies, Search and Rescue, Telluride Ski Patrollers, and two avalanche dogs were mobilized to search for the man who reportedly entered Bear Creek from town to skin up. Deputies learned a slide occurred late this morning in the Tempter area of Bear Creek, a couloir off the Telluride Ski area believed to be caused by snowboarders skiing off the Telluride Ski area into the Bear Creek Preserve. The slide was an estimated 75 feet wide leaving a debris field 300 feet long and 15 to 20 feet deep. A two hour ground search was done in the area late this afternoon into the evening with the search team and avalanche dogs, and but the man was not located. Search efforts will resume at sunrise with assistance from Telluride Helitrax helicopters.

Ugh. If I remember right Tempter dumps in below Bear Creek Falls. It's been a lot of years since I lived in Telluride but I remember being able to walk up there on packed snowshoe trails midwinter.

Is Tempter below the house or down from the spine next to Bushwaker?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 9.17.56 AM.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	521.2 KB 
ID:	270583
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

http://tellurideoffpiste.com/bear_creek/
    Look at the map marked "Lowers"
    It's a big path that funnels into a narrow chute and definitely threatens the trail at valley floor.

Man... I've always thought that Bear Creek area was extremely spooky. Vibes.

San Miguel Sheriff confirms that the skier was found deceased in an avalanche triggered by another party above.
    https://www.sanmiguelcountyco.gov/Ci...s.aspx?AID=348
    RIP

So sad to hear. Condolences to family and friends.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    San Miguel Sheriff confirms that the skier was found deceased in an avalanche triggered by another party above.
    https://www.sanmiguelcountyco.gov/Ci...s.aspx?AID=348
    RIP
    oof. terrible to hear, RIP.

RIP, that is just terrible.

Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Damn that is tragic. The runnout -- while long, was actually a really narrow path. Such horrible luck in the timing to be in that spot.

Snowboarder must be feeling unimaginable guilt. No way to see someone down there.

Vibes to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post

No way to see someone down there.

No, but in theory Bear Creek skiers should be using radios to let others know their locations, when they're dropping in, etc.https://backcountryaccess.com/common...e-backcountry/

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    No, but in theory Bear Creek skiers should be using radios to let others know their locations, when they're dropping in, etc.https://backcountryaccess.com/common...e-backcountry/
    That's super clever. I assume this is posted at the gates into Bear Creek?

Awful to hear, read that it's the fifth avy death this season. Dangerous year so far.

News to me. I'm not aware of Bear Creek gates from See Forever to drop in legally to Bear Creek. I thought it was out of bounds.

Edit: Just double checked the trail map and was reminded of the access just below Giuseppe's, off Bushwacker. Plus the one up above Revelation.
    Last edited by Alpinord; 02-20-2019 at 04:00 PM.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

No idea, haven't been there in years. I just know of the common radio frequencies. FWIW, it's supposed to be 7-0 in the Crested Butte area.

According to the trail map, there isn't a bc gate at Tempter....south of Revelation Bowl or Giuseppe's are the closest ones. Sure seems like the boarder must've ducked the rope......no bueno.
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    According to the trail map, there isn't a bc gate at Tempter....south of Revelation Bowl or Giuseppe's are the closest ones. Sure seems like the boarder must've ducked the rope......no bueno.
    for those of us unfamiliar: is this inbounds closed terrain, forest service backcountry terrain but T-ride has a gate-only access policy, private land, some other thing...?

so is that the Tempter house in the crown photo? Very bad luck. My thoughts to his family and friends.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    <snip> forest service backcountry terrain but T-ride has a gate-only access policy
    This. Although I'm not positive about the T-Ride gate policy.

Edit: from the Telluride website:

"Access to backcountry from the Telluride Ski Resort is available only through specific gates in the resort boundary. Any skier or snowboarder who is caught exiting the boundary illegally will lose their pass, and could be subject to criminal charges."

Horrible
    RIP

for those of us unfamiliar: is this inbounds closed terrain, forest service backcountry terrain but T-ride has a gate-only access policy, private land, some other thing...?
    AFAIK, the two gates mentioned are the only access to the Forest Service terrain shown in the Google image above. The Hike To terrain is In Bounds. Here are the various maps.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Very OB sidecountry with a lot of politics and history. There are gates into Bear Creek but locals I know I saying that it is not convenient to this route and that ropes are frequently ducked. Also worth noting is that the trail that the victim was using is a popular uses other than backcountry skiing.

Horribly tragic. I'm not local and haven't been into Bear Creek in forever so my info might not be the best. I think this thread could use some Cosmic Suncloud.