For those of you that ski switch well...

Where are your switch skis mounted? I’m not comfortable skiing switch for multiple linked turns and I’d like to get better. That and landing switch on anything besides boxes or small airs. What’s the furthest back you’ll mount a ski that you intend to ski switch a lot? Is a true twin with a -2 mount THAT much easier to ski switch? Favorite cheap skis for a 32 year old looking to ski groomers switch with GF and friends and to get into trouble on booters?
    Last edited by margotron; 02-20-2019 at 02:39 AM.

Center mounting a pair of line chronics years ago had a huge impact on how they felt going switch. Going forward, not so much....

I found it was practice more than anything but I always had a park ski mounted pretty close to center in the quiver

Center mounted makes it a _little_ easier sure, but practice more than anything.

Most of bmy skis are somewhere between 0 and -3.5 from true center. My park skis at 0 are easy as cake switch, but a little squirrelly at speed going forward. My On3p kartels and caylors on the line still ski well switch, even in powder, but retain their stability.

A lot of it depends a lot on the ski shape. A more pintail ski is likely gonna ski like garbage if you mount it too far forward. As said above, practice is key, as is getting the right skis for the job.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9797.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	749.1 KB 
ID:	270596

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'll second that it takes the right ski, but generally true center will be the easiest. For my everyday skis, where I'm riding forward most of the time but don't want to hesitate to flip around or land switch, I won't mount farther back than -3 or -4 from true center. Be aware, though, that this will feel very different from a traditional mount if that's all you've ridden in the past. Takes some getting used to, but it's worth it once you get it down.

One thing that really helped me when learning was exaggerating the switch between the forward/backward position of my feet as I carved from side to side, rather than trying to lean my whole body from edge to edge. Scissoring your feet allows you to transition from edge to edge while remaining balanced and upright.

Agree with burrito above.

I will say skiing my Scimitars switch at -2cm from TC feels more natural than skiing my Sickles switch at -6cm from TC. They both work, but a mount point of around -1cm to -3cm feels better.

Scissoring/staggering your feet is key. You can’t see much down the hill without it. Looking over your right shoulder, you want your right heel significantly further downhill than your left. This will open your hips and allow you to turn your upper body around much further, and hence open up your switch field of vision.

Not to turn this into the old man park skiing thread.

But on the next low tide day, go ride the greens at your local hill switch the whole way. Do it al day. Run after run after run. It’s a great way to practice your switch vision because the hill will be littered with obstacles.

If that becomes easy, go find something steeper and repeat. 1 or 2 full days of this will change your comfort level with switch riding dramatically.

It’s still on my to do list. Too many damn pow days.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Not to turn this into the old man park skiing thread.

But on the next low tide day, go ride the greens at your local hill switch the whole way. Do it al day. Run after run after run. It’s a great way to practice your switch vision because the hill will be littered with obstacles.

If that becomes easy, go find something steeper and repeat. 1 or 2 full days of this will change your comfort level with switch riding dramatically.

Grow up skiing in Indiana. You'll end up with more than a few "switch only" days.

Originally mounted my Bibbys at rec (-6). Switch was near impossible. Remounted at -4 now that I’ve learned my style a bit more and they are awesome switch.

Once you get the basics switch is easier on steeper terrain with some speed. Flat terrain and slow speed makes it harder for me because the edge changes and transitions between turns are slower.

Only time I really practice these days is skiing with the kiddos or wife.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    stay outta my line

You also need to force your brain to realize your not going as fast as it feels because you can't continuously see what's coming.

Green runs top to bottom was how I first got comfortable

Freestyle boots tend to have a less forward lean. That makes as big a difference as the mount. Symmetrical twins with a more upright boot is the way to go for park skiing
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Poor you!