Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    "It is like a grinder...but from Westchester" What?

Seriously, the upper Westchester deli scene is as good as anywhere. And dinners...why can't be have dinners...with the cake display right as you walk in.
    Wedge is a CT thing too, and the delis and diners here? soo good

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    You mean a hoagie, right?
    wondered where Philly was at
    Hoagie, a submarine sandwich filled with Italian meats, cheeses, and other toppings. The name likely comes from the Philadelphia area where, during World War I, Italian immigrants who worked at the Hog Island shipyard began making sandwiches; they were originally called “hoggies” before the name hoagie took hold

Saratoga Springs
    Cape May
    Stone Harbor
    Fire Island
    Long Branch
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Never know what you'll turn up in the Padded Room, might as well ask and see.

My family is looking to plan a family reunion for summer 2020. We have done big houses a couple of times, but there has been some pushback (mostly the young adults) on having to do all of our own cooking/cleaning, so some want us to consider a "resort" that has meals included. Location needs to be reasonably close to NYC so as not to be too difficult for my parents to travel.

Years ago, we did Mohonk a couple of times, and it was awesome and fits the bill perfectly, except for the "affordable" part, and I'm not sure my parents would foot that kind of bill (and their children are unable to do so!).

We have also done Snow Mountain Ranch in Colorado, but a) the food was abysmal, and b) traveling to elevation is now out of the question for my folks. But it was great otherwise.

We're not looking for Mohonk gourmet, but better than prison food is the bar. Don't need big luxury or lots of activities or amenities, just some basic stuff like a pool or other fun things to do for a few days with the fam. Any ideas?
    The problem with anything with proximity to NYC it drives up the price (knida like housing says my wallet). Know a lot of places that fit the bill but will be as if not more expensive that Mohonk. Think Foggy has a point. ton of options up and down the coast in both directions for rental houses.

Woods, don't get me started on your part of CT. Its not even part of New England...it is really just part of New York. I'm you folks send your kids to good universities, take the train to the city and watch plays and like the Yankees. People from CT go to Central and UCONN, go to the smash-um-ups at Riverside and like the Whalers.

So we have narrowed it down to:

a. proximity to NYC
    b. good sandwiches are mandatory
    c. millennials don't like cooking or doing dishes

How many people and days are we talking? I kinda feel like this eastcoaters got this all figured out. Don't you just send the stoners out go get bagels, hit the deli for lunch and then go out for dinner?
    yeah, those fucking millennials. They also want their parents to pay for everything. Annoying.

It's maybe 20-25 people, 4 nights.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    The problem with anything with proximity to NYC it drives up the price (knida like housing says my wallet). Know a lot of places that fit the bill but will be as if not more expensive that Mohonk. Think Foggy has a point. ton of options up and down the coast in both directions for rental houses.
    I get it. But my parents are in their mid to late 80s and live in NYC. Not that realistic to plan something 18 months out that is many hours away.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

and who wants to be on the LI expressway anyway....a 3 hour trip can easily be doubled.

Wait, your parent are "mid to late 80s" and they want sleepover camp for 4 days with 20+ people? How about lunch at a nice restaurant and a nap?

Seriously, the upper Westchester deli scene is as good as anywhere.
    A&S in Thornwood. Italian. The best mozzarella in America. You're welcome.

I say rent a nice big country house and hire a chef and cleaning crew. Plenty of them all around. I'm partial to Saratoga Springs myself, but, the countryside around Cooperstown is pretty awesome, too.

Try Lake George. It’s got tons of little “resorts” that might fit the bill.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

But, god forbid, stay far away from the town of Lake George.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I say rent a nice big country house and hire a chef and cleaning crew.
    This is pretty good advice.

I managed to stay out of NY and CT for almost 20 years. I've found myself back there in the last few for weddings, family reunions, and nostalgia. I kept myself busy by eating. That said, I find it to be a miserable place. I live in a culinary wasteland but I'm OK with that.

Keeps you thin.

Come to think of it, this might be easier in Saratoga Springs, because they have a house rental market that is geared towards stuff like this in race season. Entire homes are rented, and home catering is a big biz, from mid July to after Labor Day. Now, it's really going to cost you during those weeks, but, if you catch it just a little before or after, may work. The town is awesome, plenty of bars and restaurants. there's SPAC for music and cul-chah, good cheap golf, and great road biking, if you're going to invite Benny. If you want to drive a little, the ADK and Lake George (and other lakes) are close.

Woods, don't get me started on your part of CT. Its not even part of New England...it is really just part of New York. I'm you folks send your kids to good universities, take the train to the city and watch plays and like the Yankees. People from CT go to Central and UCONN, go to the smash-um-ups at Riverside and like the Whalers.
    Where is Clan Le Froggy from?

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz View Post
    Where is Clan Le Froggy from?
    "Home of the Yuppie" I'm a graduate of Simsbury High School class of 1991

Not sure about price.... but you might want to check out the Emerson and Hannah Mountain Resort....
    HTML Code:
    https://youtu.be/hhVylFtE2YE

"Home of the Yuppie" I'm a graduate of Simsbury High School class of 1991
    Did you know the Berry’s. JF and Jason. They were Westies but Simsbury townies.

Hitting up Sundown this Friday.

Oh I agree, Fairlfield county is just a tax dodge since the original 13 colony maps were drawn. When I lived in the city I used to scoff at any of CT as New England, now when I get up nath it make sense Fairfield & Westchester county share a lot of DNA. Delis & diners are legit tho. Stamford is a little more grounded than the United Greenwich Emirates at least.

I always find it funny when people say "the tri state area" they really mean NYC and its suburbs. Southern NJ, Northern CT & most of NY are a different world

Sundown is horrible. I mean no skiing in CT is great, but Sundown is just horrid, weird fall lines & one "bump run" with the worst moguls on the east coast.
    At least Mohawk has decent falllines and a bit of room./

Did you know the Berry’s. JF and Jason. They were Westies but Simsbury townies.

I think so. My crowd kinda has a Westminster connection involving The Townies (aka Day Students), weed sales, bootleg alcohol, parties, chicks...regular CT shit.

Do the Carter's still own Ski Sundown? That's my roots...Sundown Ski Team. That was basically my happy place growing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    I always find it funny when people say "the tri state area" they really mean NYC and its suburbs. Southern NJ, Northern CT & most of NY are a different world
    I know more about NYC politics than I know what’s going on in Hartford.