Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Sundown might be horrible but it is still the 2nd best area in CT. Mt. Southington, Powder Ridge and the worst...Big Birch. Sundown has far and away the best cafeteria.

The Sagamore on Lake George might fit the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I say rent a nice big country house and hire a chef and cleaning crew.
    I think it's still on the market. I'd call and see if you can rent Jeetz's house.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz View Post
    And a bill it will be.

Consider this Danno. Stu has a point. Stop going cheap, you cheap bastard. With parents in the 80's, show them a good time and make some reservations at The Point.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Yes. Forgot the affordable part.

Did you know the Berry’s. JF and Jason. They were Westies but Simsbury townies.

Hitting up Sundown this Friday.
    I would do Catamount instead. 20 dollar tickets online the day before. And then drive down the road to Great Barrington and stick up on weed and edibles.

funny side note, i never got your tgr handle until I moved to NYC in 06...
    Sagamore:
    Only ever talked to them about corporate groups, but if I remember the pricing is not far off Mohonk. I mean if you want the posh experience this place is fantastic: https://www.winvian.com/

Spent an awesome few days in the Sagamore about twenty years ago thanks to my employer, but, yeah, pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Skytop or Woodloch are both worth looking into up in these parts....
    Woodloch. Not sure it fits the budget though.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Check out Round Top in the Catskills. There are several low-key German-themed resorts. There's a very decent sized network of mtb trails and several cool waterfalls that are a short ride/hike from the resorts. Food is decent, not amazing..but it is included at some of the resorts. There are pools, a beer garden or two, one hotel has a bowling alley... feels like it's all stuck in the past a little bit, but in a good way.

Saratoga is also great, but further and likely more expensive.

you can rent plattekill for a couple grand, that’s a lot of downhill mtn bike for the whole fam
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    Check out Round Top in the Catskills. There are several low-key German-themed resorts. There's a very decent sized network of mtb trails and several cool waterfalls that are a short ride/hike from the resorts. Food is decent, not amazing..but it is included at some of the resorts. There are pools, a beer garden or two, one hotel has a bowling alley... feels like it's all stuck in the past a little bit, but in a good way.

Saratoga is also great, but further and likely more expensive.
    New radam FTW

It always amazes me that there was a huge summer resort scene in the Catskills that literally doesn’t exist any more.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

It always amazes me that there was a huge summer resort scene in the Catskills that literally doesn’t exist any more.
    No shit. Grossinger's:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 12.26.25 PM.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	263.3 KB 
ID:	270625
    https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/...singers-resort
    When I lived in NYC, I wondered about this, and friends told me they all essentially closed, (I was looking for goofy weekend things to do.)
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Cheap airfare to Florida and Vegas, and the Jersey Shaw growing up.

But yeah, I always point to that when some people say the Vermont ski industry can't die. You can already see the erosion with cheap real estate and derelict hotels and motels. I just checked airfare to Denver for, like, in a few days, and it's cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Never know what you'll turn up in the Padded Room, might as well ask and see.

My family is looking to plan a family reunion for summer 2020. We have done big houses a couple of times, but there has been some pushback (mostly the young adults) on having to do all of our own cooking/cleaning, so some want us to consider a "resort" that has meals included. Location needs to be reasonably close to NYC so as not to be too difficult for my parents to travel. Any ideas?
    4 + hours but we went up here and loved it
    https://senecalakewine.com/seneca-lo...nd-restaurant/
    not meals included but good here and affordable nearby.
    Beautiful country, drinkable wine Race course is cool.
    Few good Breweries as well
    If the family are race fans it would be even cooler
    https://watkinsglenchamber.com/grandprixfestival

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    Thanks! Looked at a few of those and they seem decent and relatively affordable.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Yeah, most of these have been mentioned, but I would star:

Upstate:
    Sagamore at Lake George. Not sure on price - could be pricey. But it's very cool.
    Old Forge or Cooperstown. You should be able to get by cheaply both places. Both can be really pretty and plenty of outdoor stuff. But not in the winter.
    Saratoga Springs. More of a small city than a resort town, and can be pricey. But closer to NYC.

Beach: Long Beach Island would be probably the best combination of decent place, relatively close and not outrageously expensive.

See what the Global Warmings does!!!
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    you can rent plattekill for a couple grand, that’s a lot of downhill mtn bike for the whole fam
    know anybody that skied there when it was rented?

always thought that’s gotta be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    "Home of the Yuppie" I'm a graduate of Simsbury High School class of 1991
    Haha while you were typing that I was in Simsbury.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Sundown might be horrible but it is still the 2nd best area in CT. Mt. Southington, Powder Ridge and the worst...Big Birch. Sundown has far and away the best cafeteria.
    Used to be named Big Birch, it's been Thunder Ridge for 22 years now. Yeah it sux but it could be worse. No ski area within 20 minutes of home is worse

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    No shit. Grossinger's:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 12.26.25 PM.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	263.3 KB 
ID:	270625
    https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/...singers-resort
    When I lived in NYC, I wondered about this, and friends told me they all essentially closed, (I was looking for goofy weekend things to do.)
    Holy shit, I remember that diving board. I can't believe what that place looks like now. The Nevele is just as bad. I should take a look around next time I'm over there and see if some of the other old hotels we stayed at when I was a kid are in the same condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Thanks! Looked at a few of those and they seem decent and relatively affordable.
    Yeah that zone might just cover it. Reidelbauers has a beer garden and 20+ miles of kickass mt biking right out the door of the rooms. I'll meet you for a ride and bring a bike for you to ride.

I think you should erect 8 yurts (gars) and create an atmosphere that has never been accomplished. Destination: 200 flight.

That's my vote.

Has anyone mentioned Kellerman’s? I heard the dance lessons are great. Talent show is second to none.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk