Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

I don't but I have said it. And I've had women call me that.

Next question.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

I propose the female “dude” should be:

“Linda”

Hear me out:
    “What’s going on at your place tonight?
    Not much, gonna grill out... couple Linda’s from my wife’s work might stop by”

Dear isn't as bad as to me sweetie/sweetheart/honey/hon/darling but it probably does bother some people.

It's actually kind of sad.. I had this conversation with a group of women once.

Most women my age, and I remember my mother also dont like being called ma'am even though it's a title of respect, the male equivalent being Sir.

Why is that? It's kinda messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post

“Linda”

Hear me out:
    There's "betty" but that implies hotness. Also I'm pretty sure women never used it themselves, just dudes...

“Linda”

Hear me out:
    There's also bitch, cunt, slut. That you regularly hear female millennials and gen Y'ers use as terms of endearment to their friends..

Linda is kind of like Chad. What's the female equivalent of wearing white sunglasses?

Quote Originally Posted by Deebased View Post
    There's also bitch, cunt, slut. That you regularly hear female millennials and gen Y'ers use as terms of endearment to their friends..

Linda is kind of like Chad. What's the female equivalent of wearing white sunglasses?
    I had no idea.

So, next time a female liftie bumps my chair for me, I’ll tell her “Thanks, cunt!”

I appreciate the tip!
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Are you trolling? (Rhetorical question)

Never in my life have I called some woman honey or some other pet name. How fucking old are you to assume otherwise, you dinosaur?
    Wooley is really fucking old and some seem to think in the early stages of dementia... Vibes.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    I had no idea.

So, next time a female liftie bumps my chair for me, I’ll tell her “Thanks, cunt!”

I appreciate the tip!
    I forgot hooker.

Crazy enough in the right setting some women even like being called these words.

I use “dear” a lot.

I think of it as warm rather than intimidating.

Honestly: think I’m upsetting ppl? should I knock that off?
    Probably. My experience talking with women suggests any name like that is usually considered kinda condescending when it comes from a complete stranger. Even if you don’t mean it that way, the hundred old guys (it’s pretty much always old guys from what I can tell) before you pretty much cemented that reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I occasionally say "dear" myself. It seems a little situational but I don't think I can articulate the rules easily. I wouldn't sweat it but wtf do I know. It is a pretty good fill-in for "dude" when it's the right word to use and not when it's not, which doesn't actually simplify anything.
    I just say dude regardless of gender.

My kid says she was sexually harassed at school.....

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Dear isn't as bad as to me sweetie/sweetheart/honey/hon/darling but it probably does bother some people.

It's actually kind of sad.. I had this conversation with a group of women once.

Most women my age, and I remember my mother also dont like being called ma'am even though it's a title of respect, the male equivalent being Sir.

Why is that? It's kinda messed up.
    My mansplaining guess:
    “Ma’am” implies: no longer “Miss”
    No one likes to be called old

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    My mansplaining guess:
    “Ma’am” implies: no longer “Miss”
    No one likes to be called old
    If ma'am is to miss, sir is to ?

I thought it was Miss to Mrs.

But then men are always Mr?

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    If ma'am is to miss, sir is to ?

I thought it was Miss to Mrs.

But then men are always Mr?
    Ma'am is short for madam, and is purely a title of respect. Of course, it does imply a certain station in life, and some may then view it as a reference to age, which is why some might not like it. But if anyone takes offense at it, fuck that.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Ma'am = Sir and both can make you feel old AF depending on the delivery. Definitely regional differences as well. I'd say it's less that way in the South, for example.

So is there a general thing I can call a female stranger that’s like “dude” or “buddy” but not going to hurt anyone’s feelings?

This all stuck in my mind when a nice lady and a guy teamed up to help me find something at the hardware store (binding jig widening mission, as it happens) and I was stoked, so I blurted out “thanks dude” and immediately realized that the female was not a dude and I had absolutely no equivalent term to say to her....so it was like
    “Thanks dude! ... and uh, you there

I do like “linda” but definitely see how it’s the lady Chad, not the lady “dude”.
    I wonder if it’s “buddy”....that’s not specifically male right? It’s kinda male-ish.
    Can I get a ruling on “buddy” and/or “bud”

“karen”?
    “becky”?

I prefer to not be called Sir or Mister.

So there.

I heard the word “thot” from my kid over xmas break. He managed to get his female cousin really upset at him; I think purposely provoking her but not necessarily with real spite. So I looked it up.

thot = that ho over there

hadn’t heard that before

Maybe don’t use that one...

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    “karen”?
    “becky”?
    "Becky" has basically turned into a slur towards white women...

Becky has the good hair, dude

Yah but Stacy's mom has got it goin' on.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

So is there a general thing I can call a female stranger that’s like “dude” or “buddy” but not going to hurt anyone’s feelings?

This all stuck in my mind when a nice lady and a guy teamed up to help me find something at the hardware store (binding jig widening mission, as it happens) and I was stoked, so I blurted out “thanks dude” and immediately realized that the female was not a dude and I had absolutely no equivalent term to say to her....so it was like
    “Thanks dude! ... and uh, you there

I do like “linda” but definitely see how it’s the lady Chad, not the lady “dude”.
    I wonder if it’s “buddy”....that’s not specifically male right? It’s kinda male-ish.
    Can I get a ruling on “buddy” and/or “bud”
    You should probably workshop that one a little more.

It weirds me out when somebody calls me Mr. or sir. I’m not sure that makes me old. But the fact that I’m getting used to it definitely does.
    focus.

"Sister"? (But didn't your parents teach you not to talk to strangers?)

You can always refer them as "my fellow existents". Well, unless that particular individual is a Anti-ontotheological entity that refuses that said mode bestowed upon that corpus that s/he/it possesses at that particular moment.

One other thing that confuses me is the The Dude:ity. When referring to my fellow female...existent...the division line is about in the middle. Half of them prefer to be called Dudettes and the other half Dude, the reason being that Dudeism is a state of mind and not bound to ones gender/sex/creed. For the moment, I tend to concur with the latter as I perceive that to be somehow more apt. This might change when/if more enlightened opinions surface. Or not.

Carry on.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Guy: dude
    Girl: dude

Easy, dude.