Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    I just talked to a watch nerd at crown and caliber. I’ve traded some watches with them before.

And he basically said unless your willing to spend 1500 or more, buy a Seiko, or -250$ watch. Everything in between is just marketing and pieces together from Taiwan anyway.

He said Nomos is really making great watches for the money. And he said the Seiko SARB 033,035 are the best of breed for a formal watch with a low price point.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I think that guy is a goddamn genius...

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    $500 is a really weird price point for watches, because it's how much people think they need to spend for a good watch. You're better off going a bit cheaper because there really isn't much worth paying for between $300-$1,000 or even $1,500 these days.

In that range, for the style you described, something like a Seiko isn't a terrible choice. Looks nice, runs, easy and cheap to maintain if needed.
    https://www.princetonwatches.com/pro...58&zmap=SRP772

You're otherwise looking at the department store brands. Maybe a cheap Hamilton if you can find one, Citizens, Tissot, etc. They're decent watches, but none of them are heirloom quality so no sense in going crazy.

Another option might be to go on watchuseek or one of those forums and try to find something used. Some of the sellers can be shady, but still a lot of good people and you might get a deal on some old/vintage classics - smaller faces can be had for cheaper, as they tend to go against current trends.

I know, 15 yrs ago I wanted to start trading watches, but I knew shot about them.

These guys are flipping watches and making sometimes 5 k on a Patek Phillips, or 1000-2000 on a submariner Rolex.

I agree about the price point. Nobody gives a shit if you wear a $500 watch vs a $50 watch, and generally speak quality isn't much different.

That said, Skagen watches out of Denmark are nice if you like a modern look, or Frederique Constant watches from Switzerland for a more classic loom.

I am an Omega fan, and lost a couple in the fire as well as a dozen other quality watches including TAG and Breitling. I agree Rolex is over played, and Patek Phillipe is about as good as you are going to get at an almost reasonably price.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I really like the look of that Raketa military watch on the previous page.

Watches are just a way for men to spend money on jewelry without seeming gay or Italian.

Citizen eco titanium dive watch

Recommend Me a Watch

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1550708847.564099.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	179.9 KB 
ID:	270661
    Start here. Don’t pay attention to retail, they’re available for less than $300 new if you look around a bit. This one is titanium. I wish I would’ve gotten the stainless one. It feels almost too light, and the stainless was less. Fits under dress shirt cuffs.
    Last edited by DeepHelmet; 02-20-2019 at 06:13 PM.

Time to put your dick away

Did he really just do that?
    Fuck man
    Take that shit somewhere else

Okay, I’m out.
    And I guess that I just don't know

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Wait...mine or Kenny’s?

Quote Originally Posted by DeepHelmet View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1550708847.564099.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	179.9 KB 
ID:	270661
    Start here. Don’t pay attention to retail, they’re available for less than $300 new if you look around a bit. This one is titanium. I wish I would’ve gotten the stainless one. It feels almost too light, and the stainless was less. Fits under dress shirt cuffs.
    Me like

I may sound like a low brow pleb but I've got several $80-$125 chronograph Timex watches that I really enjoy. They look great and function perfectly. FWIW I also have a 1960s Omega Seamaster watch that is beautiful but has needed a few pricey repairs over the years. I wear the Timex watches daily and save the Omega for anytime I need to wear a tie.

My pops is into watches and has told me the same about watch price points - either get a decent watch for around $100 or pony up for a Brietling, Kreiger, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by steff View Post
    See post #13
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Did he really just do that?
    Fuck man
    Take that shit somewhere else
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Okay, I’m out.
    post is now deleted
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

Quote Originally Posted by DeepHelmet View Post
    Wait...mine or Kenny’s?
    yeah see Danno's post just above this one - my post had nothing to do with you at all

Arrow

This post (ie the two posts quoted in it) have all the information you need, OP.

Edit to add: here's a good option at $300: https://www.amazon.com/PRESAGE-mecha...dp/B00KKDWKKU/
    Or at $500: https://www.amazon.com/Seiko-Japanes...dp/B001AE9XRQ/

I had a couple of the latest casio altimeter watches, the solar power & satellite down loads are nice cuz I hate changing watch batteries. On the earlier model the solar power wasn't as good so half way thru the winter the watch would start to run out of power cuz it was always covered by a ski glove or jacket, the later model is improved

metal bands look cool but ime they are one size so they don't fit over things like dry suit sleeves and they break
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

yeah see Danno's post just above this one - my post had nothing to do with you at all
    I figured, but sometimes I do dickish things without knowing. It's good for me to check.

Thanks everyone!

I've had a busy few days but now have plenty of info to comb through. Stoked I missed the dick pics.

Yeah your timing is good - all the info you need and no dick pics.

Get something unique vintage and then get nice watch band. That's what will make someone look and think you have style:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PATEK-PHILI...kAAOSwl1RcO8sd

That Russian Military watch with a nice band would be sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    That Russian Military watch
    Panerai has that old "russian" quasi modern design (altho italian/swiss & molto costoso)
    i dig em...just can't afford em