Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Recommend Me a Watch

Wish @Ernest_Hemingway would weigh in on this.

At the original poster. Fortunately in the last few years there has been an emergence of micro brand watch makers if you want something unique at very reasonable prices. You can go quartz so long as no precious metals involved and get any style you want for cheap. Mechanical watches have a analog draw to them and you feel like you have something living along with you. Especially if it is a hand wind movement where you interact with the watch daily. Most mechanicals have Eta movements in them which Swatch basically has a monopoly on so you are likely getting the same mechanicals unless you buy a high end brand that has in house movements. Some of these micro brands are using asian (chinese) clones of Eta movements which are then inspected and assembled by watch makers and present a great value. You can get a tourbillion display on a watch for under 2 grand from a micro brand that you can't touch for under 15k from one of the big name watchmakers. Just google micro brand dress watch. I have some high end watches and some of my micro brand watches are just as nice at a 10th the price and get as much wrist time. in the end it is really just jewelry so pick something that suits your eye or just pull your phone out of your pocket.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Here you go OP:

Ball watches are awesome and one of the best watches for the money but they are way out of the OPs budget. I actually have this one on as I type this. https://www.ballwatch.com/global/1/c...-bk---781.html I love the tritium tubes at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    OK the video is cheesy but they do post a link for each watch.
    Check it out

God dammit. I made it forty five seconds. Fucking mentos commercial for watches.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Use your fucking phone, unless you're trying to look like a Russian plutocrat, in which case you need something roughly the diameter of a beer can that incorporates gold, stainless steel, diamonds, the color blue (azure or indigo is ok too) and more "features" than Shackleton needed to navigate wherever the hell he it was he navigated. Oh, and it should be heavy enough to knock a Doberman unconscious with a well executed backfist.
    Its like a millennial shot his load inside of you and you somehow regurgitated it thru the touchscreen of your smartphone.

$500 is a really weird price point for watches, because it's how much people think they need to spend for a good watch. You're better off going a bit cheaper because there really isn't much worth paying for between $300-$1,000 or even $1,500 these days.

In that range, for the style you described, something like a Seiko isn't a terrible choice. Looks nice, runs, easy and cheap to maintain if needed.
    https://www.princetonwatches.com/pro...58&zmap=SRP772

You're otherwise looking at the department store brands. Maybe a cheap Hamilton if you can find one, Citizens, Tissot, etc. They're decent watches, but none of them are heirloom quality so no sense in going crazy.

Another option might be to go on watchuseek or one of those forums and try to find something used. Some of the sellers can be shady, but still a lot of good people and you might get a deal on some old/vintage classics - smaller faces can be had for cheaper, as they tend to go against current trends.

It sounds like you're looking for a watch for business/networking purposes. If you don't want to spend the entry fee for something like a Tudor ($2500 or so) get a really nice Seiko or Citizen. I have a nice Citizen Eco watch that actually looks really good, and it's solar and sets itself so it's really convenient and was around $300. If $500 is your budget, I'd start with Citizen. Just make sure you don't go lay hands on any real luxury watches because if that's your thing, you'll get bitten by the bug and make bad financial choices. I work in a place that sells Rolex, Breitling, Patek Phillipe, Omega, and Tudor. It's the most expensive part time job I've ever had. All that being said, watch guys will give you way more style points for a really nice Citizen vs a fake "anything else".

Solar powered casio never need winding or batteries, also sets the time from a satelite that goes overhead every night

or just get a cheap Timex Ironman

a word of advice from my father " expensive watches are a waste of money "
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by stompinlines View Post
    Its like a millennial shot his load inside of you and you somehow regurgitated it thru the touchscreen of your smartphone.
    Ha! That's a pretty good line.

So you're a watch guy. What kind of cologne do you wear? Are they supposed to match or something?

A watch doesn't mean what it used to. Kind of like cowboy boots or hats. What happens to a tool when it becomes a mere symbol? It becomes of symbol of tools. Older gentleman excepted.

https://manufaktur-waldhoff.de. Small company that makes nice dress watches for cheap. On their kickstarter they give really good deals if you buy 2 watches

Check out Shinola. And watches are a thing with millennials

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    a word of advice from my father " expensive watches are a waste of money "
    Not really. Buy the right watch at the right time at the right price and they can be a good investment. I wish I would’ve had the money to buy a stainless Rolex Daytona 5 years ago, I could’ve doubled my money. Or maybe you just appreciate things that are mechanically cool and have a high level of craftsmanship. Some people also say expensive skis, wine ,and whiskey are a waste of money. I disagree with them as well.

Recommend Me a Watch

I like Hamilton. Swiss made, good prices. Specifically their field watches. But you can get a nice field watch from Seiko for less than 100 bucks. I’ve got one of these coming tomorrow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2818.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	222.5 KB 
ID:	270422

I will be ordering a Hamilton Jazz master next.

Watches are about the only jewelry men wear. Worth having a nice watch that appreciates in value.

Name:  IMG_2816.JPG
Views: 344
Size:  37.1 KB

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Cono Este; 02-18-2019 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski to Be View Post
    Ball watches are awesome and one of the best watches for the money but they are way out of the OPs budget. I actually have this one on as I type this. https://www.ballwatch.com/global/1/c...-bk---781.html I love the tritium tubes at night.

My elder son bought me a Submarine Warfare. I thought I'd hate it with the Russian crown clasp. Not.
    All that tritium fucks with the big absolute gravimeter in Tokyo though. heh

Leatherman Tread.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AFC1790E-07F6-467E-A8D2-538B4A58937F.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	169.3 KB 
ID:	270425I like my Lumi Nox. “Always visible.” Even through a phone camera. Swiss quartz, screw down back, screw down crown. I only take it off for one thing, It is only a little out of your price range.

Just 1...?! pffftt...4 is more.

Name:  swatch.JPG
Views: 334
Size:  63.1 KB

Citizen should be in or even a bit under your budget and has some nice watches. Eco drive (or their solar line?) is that range depending on the material (Gold or silver, or the mixed... Seiko as mentioned also. . Then there are the Tag Heuer or a few other Euro Swiss movement brands like them (that could be more than your budget unless you go used or lowest end models in their lines). Diver or Aviator style watches - Invicta or others, but the dials can on many of them be way too busy and have way too many mini dials for stuff most do not need unless really doing either of those regularly...

http://nextluxury.com/mens-style-and...r-500-for-men/ is an overload of styles and various price levels (including Timex) to pick a style.

Shorter listing: https://www.thetrendspotter.net/10-b...hes-under-500/

Rolex is out, budget is just not there, unless it is stolen or a knock off sold out of the back of a van or trunk on a street corner from a "trusted" source...

Also have to pick one that fits your wrist because not everyone can wear a watch the size of a small wall clock if you have a average or thinner wrist. Or one that you can't get a jacket down over and you have to remove it to put a shirt or coat on first because it is so thick...

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    What happens to a tool when it becomes a mere symbol? It becomes of symbol of tools. Older gentleman excepted.

This. Few things are more pathetic than a "watcher" with a 500$ watch trying to make an impression. Well, apart from a person with a 100.000$ watch, that is.

Dont get me wrong, there are super cool watches but the point is problem the impression culture in itself.
    OP asking about "what watch to wear on occasions to impress"...is...just plain wrong on so many levels.

That said, there are a lot of cool old watches with character that can be acquired for reasonable price, like for example russian Vostok and Raketa.
    I have a old family heirloom, a Raketa military watch from 1960s that I occasionally wear. Low key and retro style.
    The best part is that you can buy three of those and get a flight to Paris with the rest of the 500$ budget.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

I’m just a little bit of a watch geek, I like a nice one and have a few. Hamilton and Tissot are both part of the Swatch group and you can get some pretty nice watches in the OP’s price range. I’ve got the mechanical/automatic bug, and a Hamilton Khaki King that gets a fair amount of use. I think they’re cool, but pretty much the only people that notice if your watch is mechanical/automatic are watch geeks.

Seiko also makes some nice watches for <$500.

But the final choice is going to depend on the OP’s preference for face, case, movement, and strap style. Because of the cost of the movement, the styling will be a little plainer for a mechanical/automatic movement than quartz in a similar price range.

I’m wondering if I fit the older gentleman profile.
    Jesus rides beside me, he never buys any smokes.

Patek Philippe makes a good one.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Iceman, sometimes pulling your phone out in a meeting is exactly the message that needs to be sent. Getting up and walking out is next if the message is not received. Fortunately I don't have to be in face to face meetings anymore.

I like the Tissot Skeleton Watch, but I also like old school...

Another vote for Hamilton.
    Like a few above, I like Mechanical watches and have some, a vintage Elgin ( my grandfathers) and an Omega from around the same period I picked upt.\

I have the Hamilton Khaki mechanical which looks great on a leather band in the winter or a cloth strap in the summer.

Some times I dont know if I should shit or wind my watch

Quote Originally Posted by meeb69 View Post
    Wish @Ernest_Hemingway would weigh in on this.
    he’s hanging with Bmills i presume.
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous