Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Recommend Me a Watch

Looking for classic menswear reccos, not GPS newfangledness.

I'm currently in the market for a watch. I will have many networking opportunities over the next 2-3 years and have been slowly upgrading my wardrobe to suit. Having never worn a watch, I'm hoping my budget of ~$500 is reasonable.

I would prefer a narrow diameter, <40mm, and a round face. I have no real preference of the material the watch is made from, although I am realizing I like the look of a face broken up by contrasting colors or designs on the enameling. I very much prefer paired-down styling and am not sold on multiple dials for seconds/date/etc. I do like the idea of an indicator for moon phases but am uncertain that is realistic in my price range. I initially intended to get a leather band but have liked the look of a tight, metal weave.

Here are a few examples of styles that I liked from a cursory search. The first two are from a Brooklyn brand I found while searching American-made watches, although I'm not really sold on either. The second set are examples from the last Geneva Watch Auction that caught my eye while looking through the lots.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	torch-1-0-36mm-stainless-003_2048x2048.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	270351

Name:	boulevard-2-0-leather-003_2048x2048.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	270355
    Name:  135_001.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  62.0 KB

Name:	1000x-1.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	270360
    Last edited by ghosthop; 02-18-2019 at 07:04 PM.

Recommend Me a Watch

So what. We’re supposed to research for you and present you with a plethora of options that might suit your taste? Get the red one.

It's too bad BMills isn't around, he knows a lot about watches. I think Hutash is pretty up on them too. I have a Raymond Weil (swiss) watch that's nice, you can find them on ebay in your price range. But Rolex, I don't think so.

I don't get it. Never worn a watch and now feel compelled because of networking opportunity?

Name:	SodRuQEoi7FPFtngvbCGtg.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	260.2 KB 
ID:	270379

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post

Name:	SodRuQEoi7FPFtngvbCGtg.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	260.2 KB 
ID:	270379
    That is awesome - would be great with a nice fob. The look on people's faces when you pulled it out would be priceless. Probably would go well with a bow tie.
    Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

^^^ I had a reproduction back in my bank management days; I never could stand wristwatches.

OK the video is cheesy but they do post a link for each watch.
    Check it out

Don't we already have a cell phone thread?

a tune up on a Rolex is more than $500, so it's pretty funny that one of those is listed as a possible purchase? Unless you are looking at a replica?

Name:	Image1550541668.905099.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	270389
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    So what. We’re supposed to research for you and present you with a plethora of options that might suit your taste? Get the red one.
    Not at all. But considering how much traction something like a shoe thread gets here I thought it would be worth a shot. I've been doing plenty of research on my own but maybe I've missed something.

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    I don't get it. Never worn a watch and now feel compelled because of networking opportunity?
    No, I feel compelled because I have noticed recently that it would be convenient to have one. My current position means that it would be best to present myself in a way that doesn't scream $20 quartz watch.

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    a tune up on a Rolex is more than $500, so it's pretty funny that one of those is listed as a possible purchase? Unless you are looking at a replica?
    Seems like I wasn't clear enough. I presented that watch because I am interested in the styling, I really like the green on white enamel. That particular watch sold for $75k this past fall, a bit out of the price range.

Your watch looks broken. Seems like it's running 2 hours fast.

about 10 minutes fast so i always get 1st chair, fact.
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

Try a pawn shop

https://www.pawnamerica.com/538-watches

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

There are a bunch of questions you can answer to narrow it down.

What movement type do you want, quartz, automatic, kinetic, solar, springdrive?

Will it be worn for work or active stuff and this need a durable scratch resistant crystal?

Water resistant, watertight, or dive?

Are you ok wearing a clone of a more expensive watch? they can be had, and some of them are very nice, but then you gotta be ok when someone says, “Excuse me, is that an Omega?”

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Don't we already have a cell phone thread?
    I wonder if the industry has seen sales go down because of cell phones but when I look around people are really into them more than ever before.
    I own 3 expensive/pricey wrist watches and 2 cheap ones that actually look good. I like having options for what I'm doing or wearing. No different than shoes or boots.

Funny yet my cell phone is now my go to source for the time.

Flavor Flav knows what time it is.

https://postmediaprovince2.files.wor...trip=all&w=640
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

^^^the only people I know who wear watches are nurses, and they take them off as soon as they get off work. Seriously; I don’t think I know anyone who wears a watch. Weird.

Use your fucking phone, unless you're trying to look like a Russian plutocrat, in which case you need something roughly the diameter of a beer can that incorporates gold, stainless steel, diamonds, the color blue (azure or indigo is ok too) and more "features" than Shackleton needed to navigate wherever the hell he it was he navigated. Oh, and it should be heavy enough to knock a Doberman unconscious with a well executed backfist.

Here you go OP:

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Use your fucking phone, unless you're trying to look like a Russian plutocrat, in which case you need something roughly the diameter of a beer can that incorporates gold, stainless steel, diamonds, the color blue (azure or indigo is ok too) and more "features" than Shackleton needed to navigate wherever the hell he it was he navigated. Oh, and it should be heavy enough to knock a Doberman unconscious with a well executed backfist.
    Watches, especialy mechanical ones, are cool machines. I like them. I don't have a collection, unless 2 is a collection, but I like them. And it's a lot more subtle to turn your wrist a little bit to see the time in an endless meeting than it is to pull your phone out of your pocket.

If you wear a suit you need a watch and a money clip and a handkerchief and a gentleman's knife. Might as well do all of them right.