Rookie needs advice....

...and let me preempt this by saying advice mainly about what kind of ski to get.

I’ve been touring for a couple years now on some Volkl Nunataqs I got off craigslist.

I’m not the best skier in the world and I’ve been mostly learning as I’m earning. The Volkls have always felt a bit stiff for my liking and when I get into icier conditions or tight through the trees they don’t turn as easy as I’d like. They do well and are fun in wide open soft stuff but that ain’t saying much.

I’d like to get some new skis that are decent in powder but not necessarily excellent. I’d like them to be responsive in tight spots and hold their own on short crappy sections on firmer stuff. I know I know, can’t have it all.

I’m not overly concerned with weight as I’m mostly into about 8-10 hour days with a couple laps up top.

My short list so far:

G3 finder 102. (179)

Elan Ripsticks 105?? I think (180)

Rossi Soul 7’s

Anyone have any suggestions...other than learn to ski better😜

I've got some strong opinions on this that I think many others will echo.

No doubt you need to be on the 193 TECH TALK JONGS!

P.S. the shamans are like magic in tight spaces but probably not what you want for ice. I love em but they're definitely a ski you need to demo first bc it's definitely a love it or hate it type relationship...

Reach out to NW_Skier for beta on Soul 7's. He is the resident expert on that ski, been on them since they came out

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    so read your first sentence and ask yourself,
    did i post this within the proper TGR forum?
    so much you can learn from nw_skier, soul 7
    Sorry...figured I needed general opinions and discussion about a good intermediate ski that has these qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by C_W_B View Post
    Sorry...figured I needed general opinions and discussion about a good intermediate ski that has these qualities.
    And you would find that in.... wait for it....

TECH TALK

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    And you would find that in.... wait for it....

TECH TALK
    Fairly helpful advice so far...

I see you're considering the Rossignol Soul 7. I'm here to tell you that you can go ahead and use that paper you're keeping your ski list on for shit tickets because your search is over. Your ski has already picked you.

The Rossignol Soul 7 is the pinnacle of ski design and performance. It crushes the competition with ease. You mentioned wanting a light weight ski? These babies are light as a feather. They're so light in fact, that if you do ride a chairlift with them on, you'll keep looking down to check they are still there. They're even lighter than kopi-red's pale ass skin after a long winter in South Dakota.

Unlike the lazy kid that lives next door, the Soul 7 is reliable all the way down to it's core. You won't get any half ass work out of these bad motherfuckers. They cut through more crud than an industrial sized bottle of dish soap. Point and shoot. That simple.

What's next? Ah, powder skiing. Yep, they do that too! They ski powder better than your grandma can starch a collared shirt. Trust me, that's saying alot, because my grandma could run an iron.

Don't bother waxing them either. You'll need all the help you can get to slow down at the bottom of the hill. Don't quote me on this, but they might actually be the fastest skis ever made.

Best of luck out there. Be sure to report back and post up some titties from the hot chicks you immediately start to pull down with these mountain missles.

/thread

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    The Rossignol Soul 7
    Don't just take his word for it:

"It's not fair, why couldn't they have made these in '98!?" - Jonny Moseley (between sobs)

"The use of The Rossignol Soul 7 in competition is hereby forbidden on the grounds that the equipment confers upon the athlete advantages tantamount to performance enhancing drug use; and because these sticks are just too fuckin' gnarly" - The International Olympic Committee

Well, there’s yer problem right there.
    There are no intermediate skiers on this forum
    Mediocre yes, but not intermediate.

Have you considered the Praxis RX? I hear it’s almost as burley as the soul 7

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    I see you're considering the Rossignol Soul 7. I'm here to tell you that you can go ahead and use that paper you're keeping your ski list on for shit tickets because your search is over. Your ski has already picked you.

The Rossignol Soul 7 is the pinnacle of ski design and performance. It crushes the competition with ease. You mentioned wanting a light weight ski? These babies are light as a feather. They're so light in fact, that if you do ride a chairlift with them on, you'll keep looking down to check they are still there. They're even lighter than kopi-red's pale ass skin after a long winter in South Dakota.

Unlike the lazy kid that lives next door, the Soul 7 is reliable all the way down to it's core. You won't get any half ass work out of these bad motherfuckers. They cut through more crud than an industrial sized bottle of dish soap. Point and shoot. That simple.

What's next? Ah, powder skiing. Yep, they do that too! They ski powder better than your grandma can starch a collared shirt. Trust me, that's saying alot, because my grandma could run an iron.

Don't bother waxing them either. You'll need all the help you can get to slow down at the bottom of the hill. Don't quote me on this, but they might actually be the fastest skis ever made.

Best of luck out there. Be sure to report back and post up some titties from the hot chicks you immediately start to pull down with these mountain missles.

You should consider writing ski descriptions for a living! Haha. Thanks. I’m leaning toward the G3’s but I did ski the soul7’s once a few years ago and didn’t mind them

When you get the Soul 7s - and this is very important - get the red ones. I think the are from 2017. Photo below. The red material in the base was a special construction that is far faster, but they stopped using it due to cost (it’s pricey.). New ones don’t have it. You can tell cause they’re not red.

Most at people aren’t aware of this. For simplicity’s sake remember - red ones are faster.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	72A13C4F-43A6-4D34-B513-4DC2AEC9C84A.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	270464

You should consider writing ski descriptions for a living! Haha. Thanks.
    He already does...

The Nunataqs are not the newest design or construction, but I love them as a touring ski. I find them very good in anything soft, very quick and responsive. Initially bought them for winter touring only, but I love them in pre-corn and corn. Although they're reverse camber, it's very subtle so they do just fine when it's a little firmer than expected. A lot of very good new skis out there, but you've got a good pair already.

There's two bulls standing on top of a mountain. The younger one says to the older one: "Hey pop, let's say we run down there and fuck one of them cows". The older one says: "No son. Lets walk down and fuck 'em all".