Topsheet epoxy recommendations needed!

Over the summer I acquired a pair of Lotus 120s with topsheet concerns and I'm trying to figure out the best way to fix them. I was originally thinking about pulling the topsheets off comletely and replacing them with a large vinyl sticker, but DPS suggested against it. Instead, they recommended gluing all of the peeling topsheet back down and trying to seal the spots where the topsheet no longer exists. So, I have three questions:

1. Any alternative ideas out there? I would really rather not spend a ton of time on this, but the skis are in good shape otherwise, so worth some effort.
    2. What epoxy should I use that would flex with the ski as it bends? Any clear options?
    3. I was thinking about sealing the carbon with a clear epoxy or clear finger nail polish (as recommended elsewhere). Thoughts on this?

I've been skiing them as is on mellow/short tours behind the house. I'm concerned about water ingress, however, and would like to seal them up before I do much else.

Seth

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190218_113848.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	270279

Well...that is something.

1. Any alternative ideas out there? I would really rather not spend a ton of time on this, but the skis are in good shape otherwise, so worth some effort.

If it were me, I'd just cut it off. The amount of time it would take to clamp all that doesn't seem worth it to me. They are gonna look beat regardless, so who cares there. Protecting the ski from water should be the only concern here.

2. What epoxy should I use that would flex with the ski as it bends? Any clear options?

If you are going to bond the topsheet back down, West Systems G-Flex. You could seal with that too, but it won't be totally clear. Not sure I would care though.

For sealing wood veneers, we use either Super Sap CLR or System Three Clear Coat. Both work well for sealing.

3. I was thinking about sealing the carbon with a clear epoxy or clear finger nail polish (as recommended elsewhere). Thoughts on this?

Some sort of marine clear coat (like the two above) should be what you do here.

Tape up the sections you don't want sealed first.
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

Flex Seal topsheets?

I've had good luck with clear Loctite 2-part marine grade epoxy for top-sheet-chip-esque repairs. However, this was for much, much, much smaller repairs, so YMMV

If those were mine, I'd just cut off the loose bits with a razor blade.

For covering up the mess... Plastidip? Would add weight though.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Seth -

When those fuckers started peeling I tried to clamp and epoxy them with some flexy marine epoxy. Can't remember the brand but it wasn't g flex. It worked *so* poorly I wouldn't think it's worth trying

Also, as Chup recommended, I tried to stop the runs w a razor blade, too. No dice.

I'd tear the whole top sheets off and use some shit to seal it. Just didn't have the nuts myself

Topsheet epoxy recommendations needed!

Tear it all off. As iggy said g-flex. Spread in on thin over everywhere the top sheet came off. And the intersection. Get a load of stickers on em and your good to go!

Another vote for taking it off and spreading out G-Flex with a putty knife.

I've used G-flex slow set (which is i believe systems west down there) to fix the clear topsheet pulling off but my lotus weren't near as bad as those cuz I still have enough top sheet left to fix, probably seal them with epoxy wherever needed

I got 2 pair of lotus one i notice on one the top sheet is pealing but the other set is not pealing and they are only 3 S/N apart
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    I tried to clamp and epoxy them with some flexy marine epoxy. Can't remember the brand but it wasn't g flex. It worked *so* poorly I wouldn't think it's worth trying...

I'd tear the whole top sheets off and use some shit to seal it. Just didn't have the nuts myself
    This is what I really want to do - tear the whole topsheet off and either seal with epoxy or a big sticker. We do business with a company that does vehicle wraps and I would bet that they would give me scrap or print me something custom. I'm just not sure of the longevity.

If I were to remove the topsheet, just pull until it comes off? Use a little heat? Any suggestions?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

they ^^ are so fucking bad i would be tempted to unscrew the bindings and remove every bit of top sheet, probably with a heat gun and scraper

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=3m+clear+p...l_42fxv1o9nx_e

if it looks good underneath how about 3m clear film ^^ i did the frame on my yeti and it seems to stay on/looks/protects prettygood ?

The thing about it to consider IS whatever you chose to put on the ski will get cut up so consider if you put down a white sticker on the black the black of the ski will show thru wherever it gets cut and look shitty so maybe go with a black or clear so cuts won't stand out so much
    Last edited by XXX-er; 02-19-2019 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    This is what I really want to do - tear the whole topsheet off and either seal with epoxy or a big sticker. We do business with a company that does vehicle wraps and I would bet that they would give me scrap or print me something custom. I'm just not sure of the longevity.

If I were to remove the topsheet, just pull until it comes off? Use a little heat? Any suggestions?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Heat gun and a metal scraper - I bet they'll lift right off

After that, my vote is to spray a gratuitous amount of bedliner on em

would that be heavey ?

how about liquid Varathane, cheap and easy to apply , easy to reapply when it gets chipped & messed up

G-Flex did not work well on my wife's Yvette's. It held some places, but others, it just started peeling again after a while. We both don't care, so I'm tearing it off as it goes. If I was the OP, i'd clean it up with a razor blade, and paint some stickier more flexible glue around the areas I cut, or try and peel it all off somehow, and seal if need be,.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    paint them red
    Red pigment in the Gflex.

Classy and sassy.

Sprinkle on sum metal flakes for that space look.

If those were my skis, I would remove the remaining topsheet completely, then lightly sand and remove any sanding residue, spray paint with a high quality auto body paint using several coats between drying, then topcoat with USC spray max 2K. You need to wear an organic vapor respirator and have adequate ventilation, seriously!

That's probably ghetto, but I'm just saying that's what I would do. Maybe you will lose some integrity, dampness, or something else with the topsheet gone, but that is already lost anyway.

Just swing by a sign shop and buy about 15 feet of adhesive vinyl in a color of your choice(RED) and sticker the whole ski. Trim off all the loose shit, clean with alcohol then apply.