Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Bus?
    Yes - the fucking Summit bus goes to A-Basin, does it not?

Also - this year there will be bus service to A-Basin from the metro area: https://theknow.denverpost.com/2019/...wstang/220023/

That's gonna be a smelly bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    That's gonna be a smelly bus.
    Not any smellier than my truck is on a ski trip (2 teenage boys).

It is going to be fun to watch how this all plays out. That pic from last October compared to this season is certainly promising.

Pow days during Ikon blackout periods should be interesting.

$20 lift tickets Friday 2-4 til Nov 22. $5 beers.

Cool to see Abasin thinking up fun ways to go skiing. Easy way to ski a few laps with friends who might not share the same passes.

Quote Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post
    Al is really playing up this whole 'we're happy that the mountain is empty' thing, but I'm not really sure how this ends up being a good thing from a business perspective.

It's just strange to see a COO actually happy that his business is quiet and it just feels like they are trying to put a positive spin on something that might actually not be all that great...
    Either that or the financial arrangement they had with VR/Epic Pass wasn’t all that profitable to begin with. Maybe the actual ski revenue from epic pass holders wasn’t that much, but it brought in a higher volume of skiers that spend money on food, lessons, rental, etc. That revenue is great but it also comes with a shit ton of overhead expenses so maybe the over. If they got a better revenue sharing deal with Ikon and can significantly reduce staffing levels then it could be more profitable overall. It’s possible they just got tired of revenue for the sake of revenue and wanted to focus more on the bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Doesn't ANYBODY take the fucking bus to A-Basin?
    What bus? Stage won't run buses to A-Basin until late November.

When they do it is super fucking inconvenient. Only the Flyer route goes to A-Basin. Flyer has limited stops because it is supposed to be an "express" bus as it has only 10 stops on its Breck to Abasin route. That means you have to take another bus to connect OR DRIVE to where you can catch the Flyer.

And then you ride that "express bus" to Keystone. And then it stops. It sits there. For FIFTEEN MINUTES. Sitting there. Before it goes up to A-Basin. It does the same thing when it comes back down. 15 minutes sitting at River Run. That is how it is scheduled. Of course it is rarely on schedule.

That's how you turn 20 minute roundtrip by car into a 1.5 hour 4-bus trip.

The price is $0 but it sucks so hard few are willing to pay the price in time and inconvenience unless they live walking distance from a Flyer stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post

When they do it is super fucking inconvenient. Only the Flyer route goes to A-Basin. Flyer has limited stops because it is supposed to be an "express" bus as it has only 10 stops on its Breck to Abasin route. That means you have to take another bus to connect OR DRIVE to where you can catch the Flyer.

And then you ride that "express bus" to Keystone. And then it stops. It sits there. For FIFTEEN MINUTES. Sitting there. Before it goes up to A-Basin. It does the same thing when it comes back down. 15 minutes sitting at River Run. That is how it is scheduled. Of course it is rarely on schedule.

The price is $0 but it sucks so hard few are willing to pay the price in time and inconvenience unless they live walking distance from a Flyer stop.
    But a decent option if there's no parking at A-Basin, amirite?

But a decent option if there's no parking at A-Basin, amirite?
    Ya... I've done it once or twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post
    As I understand it, partner resorts on Ikon receive a payment per skier visit that is somewhat in line with the cost of a day ticket.
    It's more like 30 percent of a day ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post

Interesting. I saw an interview with the Telluride CEO who said they were getting effectively the equivalent of whatever one day would cost on one of their 'ski 5 of 7 days' passes for every Epic Pass skier visit.
    go upside down.

I used to hitchhike up to the basin rather than take the bus. It was way faster. Would be cool if Al would subsidize a bus up there.

Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    I used to hitchhike up to the basin rather than take the bus. It was way faster. Would be cool if Al would subsidize a bus up there.
    It's kind of a moot point now, right? NO MORE PARKING PROBLEMS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post

the number thrown around here was something like $50/day, but I always thought that was likely high, or that pricing was more complex than that.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

It's kind of a moot point now, right? NO MORE PARKING PROBLEMS!!
    Well I was thinking that Al himself would pick me up and drive me to the Basin and we would park in his CEO spot. Then I would ski pow all day and crush a bunch of free beers at the bar before he drove me home. Of course I would drink and tip excessively as always. I don’t know how, but I’m pretty sure that this would cure any remaining parking problems.

Aw man, Davenport was at ABasin today shredding. That would have been fun to see.

Only ever took the bus to the basin on busy spring days once keystone was closed bc then you could park up front at river run and catch it easily. Always seemed like a major pain in the ass otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    It is going to be fun to watch how this all plays out. That pic from last October compared to this season is certainly promising.

Pow days during Ikon blackout periods should be interesting.
    President's Day like 12-13 years ago, I 70 was closed and like 14" of snow. Ski on chairs until 1... yeah, that place is rad when the masses can't and don't go there.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post

Oh yeah, now I remember. I tried it once. Once.

Quote Originally Posted by Leshphilling77 View Post
    Only ever took the bus to the basin on busy spring days once keystone was closed bc then you could park up front at river run and catch it easily. Always seemed like a major pain in the ass otherwise.
    Mothers Day about 4 years ago. 8" overnight and the place was jammed with Epic-ers.

I got to the top of the pass at 8am and the 3 miles to Last Chance was bumper to bumper.

45 minutes later, I missed parking at the area by maybe 50 cars.

Slow drive to River Run, took the Summit Stage, and by the time I clicked into my bindings, it was 11am.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Aw man, Davenport was at ABasin today shredding. That would have been fun to see.
    Anyone get the pro call-out on him?
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

I do wonder about A-Basin's bottom line with a typical season. I mean, yeah it can be nice seeing packed lift lines and high revenues, but I can definitely imagine that seeing year-after-year of huge crowds can wear on an owner. This season seems like a big test for the mountain. If they can pay the bills and make their bottom line, then perhaps that's good enough for the owners?

There is a lot of restriction to how much a ski area can grow, and after a certain point it just becomes too cost prohibitive to continue chasing expansion. Parking seems like a huge part of it. If the owners are getting up in age, maybe they realize they've had enough chubby chasing and have decided that a leaner meaner operation is what suits them?

Maybe they will take a page out of the Snowbowl book?

I thought some Canadian company bought them?

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    I love dav as much as the next guy, but he is still just a dude skiing a groomer. I saw him at Silverton once and THAT was super cool to see.

get 3 free with my season pass will be watching weekday weather closely