Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Didnt make the mini @ A basin but I still fondly remember what an awesome place it was in May, June 90s & 00s when folks passing through from living at resorts all over the west would stop through for late season turns.

KNow one mag that met his wife in that lot when he was living in Taos.....

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    It was a mere 13 years ago when maggots gathered, parked, and camped for free in the last chance lot doing all sorts of things what would make a Bobby Invitational seem like a preschool birthday party.

Cue All in the Family.
    Those were some times. I will never ever forget that one mini when at like 1am some person hooked a chain up to a downed tree on the hill above Last Chance and dragged the whole thing into the fire. Like a 20 foot section.

I would bet A-Basin doesn't join Ikon. Ikon is just as bad as Epic. Look at Eldora's parking woes this season. Partnering with Ikon even for just a few days access would put them right back in the same boat. I doubt that a significant number of epic passholders ski "A-Bay" more than 2-3 days a season. Its the sheer number of passholders with any access at all that cause the problems.

My prediction is that they get a similar thing going that loveland has on their pass (powder alliance + 3 unrestricted reciprocal days with Loveland, Monarch, Powderhorn, Durango and Ski Cooper and Taos )

Didnt make the mini @ A basin but I still fondly remember what an awesome place it was in May, June 90s & 00s when folks passing through from living at resorts all over the west would stop through for late season turns.
    I used to buy the Spring Pass in the mid 90s and sleep in my truck. Ski, kayak, ski, kayak, ski, kayak. Call my answering machine to see if my boss called me back to work yet. I was just a good dirt bag, I wonder why I ever quit?

A Basin leaving Epic Pass

Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post

My prediction is that they get a similar thing going that loveland has on their pass (powder alliance + 3 unrestricted reciprocal days with Loveland, Monarch, Powderhorn, Durango and Ski Cooper and Taos )
    I hope this plays out as a reciprocal arrangement. Purg pass adds A-Basin to Monarch, Loveland, Copper and others.

Back in the day Abasin was my favorite go to in Summit. It was a treat to drop a keg in the snow at the base of of Pali and hang out.

What is this A Bay’ crap? Isn’t it a banning offense to use the term?

Sent via iPhone
    Slidewright.com
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedic84 View Post
    “The definition of a bay is a large body of water connected to an ocean or sea formed by an inlet of land.”
    13 minutes...longer than I would have thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    Good on Abasin for making the split. Especially if it's truly in the interest of providing a better ski experience. Most of the time money trumps all, so I assume the deal with Epic was shitty. But who knows?

I'm a little bummed personally, as skiing just got more expensive for me. Can't go without an Abasin pass. Frankly it's one of the driving forces that kept me from jumping to Ikon this year. Next year will be another year to consider I guess. Unfortunately Abasin alone doesn't cut it either if I'm throwing down for a pass. It's an expensive decision by the resort that I think will affect all skiers who love the Beast. Also will just funnel more people to less ski terrain in the other 4 resorts.

And whoever above said this is good news because it means less shuffling in line for your ski pass cuz no RFID, you crazy! That is so dumb they haven't upgraded that shit yet. Abasin, listen up if you're reading this...
    Hang the pass on a fucking split ring and quit whining. I saw people taking a glove off to pull a pass out of a pocket for scanning the whole time at Monarch last week...fucking idiots.

The idiots that like RFID will want all lifts to have the conveyor belts like Breck awhile back.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Those were some times. I will never ever forget that one mini when at like 1am some person hooked a chain up to a downed tree on the hill above Last Chance and dragged the whole thing into the fire. Like a 20 foot section.
    I still can't believe you talked Joe into sending Kong Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I used to buy the Spring Pass in the mid 90s and sleep in my truck. Ski, kayak, ski, kayak, ski, kayak. Call my answering machine to see if my boss called me back to work yet. I was just a good dirt bag, I wonder why I ever quit?
    And yet when we met in person for the first time we were both in business attire.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    As the crow flies, they are separated by maybe 4-5 miles?
    It's 7 miles by car up and over the pass, so yeah less than that as the crow flies.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

As the crow flies it is less than 2.5mi from A-Basin to Loveland
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

My hunch is that Vail decided to play hardball when they were negotiating the renewal. Given that, with the purchase of CB, VR now has an owned mountain with real expert terrain, they felt less need for AB. Remember that AB gets paid every time someone uses an Epic Pass there and I’m thinking that a combination of the parking woes and a potential decrease in dollars from Vail made them decide to opt out of continuing.

Remember also that A-Basin was only on Epic as a byproduct of their former ownership structure. Breck, Keystone, and A-Basin were all owned by Ralston Resorts (part of Ralston Purina). When Vail bought Ralston Resorts to get Breck and Keystone, they were forced by anti-trust regulators to sell A-Basin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    I still can't believe you talked Joe into sending Kong Rock.
    Fucking stomped it. Legend.

Announced yesterday- ABasin-only season passes on sale for next year $399. Not a bad deal at all, especially considering they will most likely add on at least a few days at partner resorts.

ETA: I'm pretty sure that you could still get the rest of this season and all next season for about $599 too if you were so inclined.

$399 and includes 3 days at Taos. Taos blackout days are Dec 26 to Jan 1. Minimal

Bye Vail!

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    $399 and includes 3 days at Taos. Taos blackout days are Dec 26 to Jan 1. Minimal

Bye Vail!
    Nice, hadn't heard about the Taos days yet. That is seriously a steal for anyone who likes steep skiing.

Clearly trying to price low enough that some people will buy it and another pass (Epikon).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Clearly trying to price low enough that some people will buy it and another pass (Epikon).
    Or low enough that people won’t completely flip out when they announce they are also on the ikon : either 7 days or full.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Or just undercut those unnecessary "all-you-can-eat-buffet" passes for people who already know where they will spend 90% of their ski days.

A Basin leaving Epic Pass

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Or low enough that people won’t completely flip out when they announce they are also on the ikon : either 7 days or full.
    Please no. Going Ikon accomplishes nothing when it comes to weekend parking shitshow or getting rid of people who call it A-Bay.

Please no. Going Ikon accomplishes nothing when it comes to weekend parking shitshow or getting rid of people who call it A-Bay.
    Not advocating for it. Being guarded in case they do.

If they don't, I'll be very happily surprised and picking up a 4-pack at least.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    If they join Ikon, it will not be full, it will just be something like 5 or 7 days, purely as a way to get a big bump in revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Or just undercut those unnecessary "all-you-can-eat-buffet" passes for people who already know where they will spend 90% of their ski days.
    It won't necessarily matter much to them, but I suspect that most people who buy the pass will also have another pass. But in any case, yeah, low price has that effect too. And I'm just speculating.

But if they only offer a few days, it will bring them much more revenue than Epic did. And it will somewhat be less of a shitshow when people only have a few days to use.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I feel like AB is pretty well positioned to go it alone, or with a couple 2-3 day partnerships ala Taos. Their brand is strong and they are still one of the closest mountains to Denver. Plus their terrain is actually fun compared to Loveland.
    Live Free or Die

Agreed. Waiting it out to see if they go Ikon. If they do I’ll pick up a Loveland season pass. Wish they’d get together and offer 5-7 days at each other’s resort with a season pass.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

@ AR
    but it’s not as close as it seems. It’s gotten much farther now that cdot closes the pass for 2 inches of snow in addition to metering when open. This means it can be an extra hour further to get there and 1-2 hours further to get home versus when the pass is open. You can easily do Keystone Copper in the same amount of time when it’s closed and Breck isn’t much more .