Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Great news for the basin!

Rode of the lift yesterday with multiple Ikoners using one of their 5 days which was unexpected. Also rode up with a patroller who said that employees are stoked to have left VR. Called it "one big financial experiment".

Keystone's lot was looking a bit crowded when driving by at 11am. VR isn't letting employees who are not currently on the clock ski at Keystone and those who are can only ski weekdays. Only a few rows of cars in the lower lot at A-basin. Yes, there will be some busy pow and late spring days, but it's going to be nothing like previous years. I haven't been this stoked for a season in a while!

BTW, mugs are still available. There were around 40 left when I purchased mine in the afternoon. A-basin passholders get an additional 15% discount on mug fills on top of the usual $1 off.

I'm kind of surprised people are using Ikon pass days at Abasin already!

That's good news!

Wondering if VR is going to have restrictions on employees in the Spring. There will be a lot of pissed off people if Breck is the only VR mountain open but VR employees can't use their pass there.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Just found this pic from opening day last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Just found this pic from opening day last year.

That is truly amazing. It is definitely quicker to hike or skin back up than wait in that shitshow.

Awesome that there are only like 20 ppl skiing this week up there

ABasin is a joy today. Empty, fast, icy laps.

How’s Keystoner?

I learned that ABasin's busiest day in history was July 4, 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    ABasin is a joy today. Empty, fast, icy laps.

How’s Keystoner?
    Prettt empty I'm told
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Just wait for a midweek powder day after the Beavers opens.

Just wait for a midweek powder day after the Beavers opens.
    Nobody skis the Beavers. The icy bumped blue runs are terrifying.

The Beavers are the best thing that happened to Pali.

Al is really playing up this whole 'we're happy that the mountain is empty' thing, but I'm not really sure how this ends up being a good thing from a business perspective.

As I understand it, partner resorts on Ikon receive a payment per skier visit that is somewhat in line with the cost of a day ticket. If we have a low snow year and the Ikon pass holders don't show up en masse like everybody is expecting (maybe use just a couple of their allotted days as opposed to the full 5/7), then I've got to imagine he's going to be missing all the F&B revenue that would be coming in from some bigger crowds this time of year. 6th Alley would typically be PACKED and making money hand over fist right now.

It's just strange to see a COO actually happy that his business is quiet and it just feels like they are trying to put a positive spin on something that might actually not be all that great...
    go upside down.

He can't make anymore parking.

Also, since Summit is such a crowded shitshow, he could settle on becoming a niche market, the uncrowded, mellow place with excellent skiing and awesome views. And start charging a little more for that.

He can't make anymore parking.
    And start charging a little more for that.
    So you think this is a bit of a sandbagged year? Take a little hit on profit this year and then start inching up day/season pass prices going forward?

Perhaps the Vail skier payment was so low that just one Ikon skier day is worth 5+ Vail days? If so, that would give them a shot of normalizing (or even improving) revenue from a pass perspective. I just can't see how the loss of F&B revenue is as unimportant as he makes it seem...

I get being a niche player would be nice, but it's still a business with investors/owners who aren't going to be okay with all of a sudden taking a big hit to their annual profits.
    go upside down.

His celebration of the slowness it to make every Ikon and Abasin passholder stoked about the new norm. I don't think it's him worried or a harbinger of things to come.

It's midweek in mid Oct.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    His celebration of the slowness it to make every Ikon and Abasin passholder stoked about the new norm. I don't think it's him worried or a harbinger of things to come.

It's midweek in mid Oct.
    We must start the hand wringing and wild speculation now!!!
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post
    So you think this is a bit of a sandbagged year? Take a little hit on profit this year and then start inching up day/season pass prices going forward?

Perhaps the Vail skier payment was so low that just one Ikon skier day is worth 5+ Vail days? If so, that would give them a shot of normalizing (or even improving) revenue from a pass perspective. I just can't see how the loss of F&B revenue is as unimportant as he makes it seem...

I get being a niche player would be nice, but it's still a business with investors/owners who aren't going to be okay with all of a sudden taking a big hit to their annual profits.
    He can't make anymore parking. That's it.

Taos has a similar problem. No room for beds up there. Or parking.

I think that it is definitely a sandbag year (and god willing it could be amazing if we have a good snow year w/ no crowds), and they will rebuild from here instead of constantly playing damage control and trying to keep up with the crowds. There's always the option for them to go full IKON in the future if they are missing the crowds. This gives the ski area a chance to take a breath, and re-focus on the quality of the experience, not just quantity. I don't always agree with Al, but this could be something really good for the place I've been skiing for the last 23 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    I think that it is definitely a sandbag year (and god willing it could be amazing if we have a good snow year w/ no crowds), and they will rebuild from here instead of constantly playing damage control and trying to keep up with the crowds. There's always the option for them to go full IKON in the future if they are missing the crowds. This gives the ski area a chance to take a breath, and re-focus on the quality of the experience, not just quantity. I don't always agree with Al, but this could be something really good for the place I've been skiing for the last 23 seasons.
    Agreed. As outsider looking in, good move by Abasin. Options are open for future. Im holding my 5 days hostage for the mid week pow, whos floor Im sleeping on?

Trumpeting how empty the mountain is... good way to attract more business from people looking to escape crowds... get's buyers off the fence.

Perhaps the Vail skier payment was so low that just one Ikon skier day is worth 5+ Vail days?
    Basically yes
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

He can't make anymore parking. That's it.

Taos has a similar problem. No room for beds up there. Or parking.
    We get it - they can't add parking. But wouldn't you want the parking that you do have to be full at all times?
    go upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    I'm much less tuned into the Basin, but this seems like the right take.

We get it - they can't add parking. But wouldn't you want the parking that you do have to be full at all times?
    Not necessarily. If the parking is full all the time, that means you're turning away people, and the experience may not be all that great for those who are there. If the parking is, say, 50% full on avg instead of 100%, but you make 2x the revenue from each skier visit, that might be far preferable.

Doesn't ANYBODY take the fucking bus to A-Basin?

Bus?