Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DPS Koala?

i think Blister mentions that the pair they tested where pre-production models that were slightly stiffer than stock, and that production versions where softened a bit in the very tips and tails. So seems like you guys are pretty much in agreement

They are the most intersting skis from DPS in a good while.

I recently listened to a Blister podcast where Jonathan and Paul Forward discussed a few earlier DPS designs, and coming from BMT122s and reading Paul's thoughts on that ski (that i wholeheartedly agree with) his insights were very... eh insightful. Building on those comments Koalas seem more intersting than ever

Bump, Blackalps, how tall/heavy are you? These seem like an awesome PNW resort ski as long as you size them right for our claustrophobic terrain.

hmm, I'm 5'10 / 200lb and skied the 184. No issues in Stevens Pass tress and honestly wanted the longer length which wasn't available at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    hmm, I'm 5'10 / 200lb and skied the 184. No issues in Stevens Pass tress and honestly wanted the longer length which wasn't available at the time.
    Good data point, I appreciate the feedback. I'm 5'7" and about 150-155lb, so it makes sense that we may be looking at different lengths of the same ski.

I'm 5'10 205 and have the 189. Like I mentioned above, I don't like them in tight terrain. Would personally go shorter if you plan on skiing a lot of trees etc. When I bought them, the DPS rep kept telling me to get the 184's, because the 189's aren't just longer, they're also stiffer. The 189 is considered by DPS to be the Dash Longe pro model. I thought the rep was full of shit because DPS's are always so soft, and all my other skis are 189-192, but I kind of wish I had gone shorter. I mean, except when I drop a big cornice into a super steep face and can just straightline it down to the bottom My buddy got the 184's, and I can confirm that they feel softer hand flexing them in the shop.

Welp, I went for it. Too good of a deal to pass up, and I haven't bought a pair of skis in three years. I'll post a review of the kids length once I have some time on them.

DPS Koala?

Quote Originally Posted by blackalps View Post
    When I bought them, the DPS rep kept telling me to get the 184's, because the 189's aren't just longer, they're also stiffer.
    Dash also confirmed in the Blister podcast, pretty sure he said 7%
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by blackalps View Post
    I'm 5'10 205 and have the 189. Like I mentioned above, I don't like them in tight terrain. Would personally go shorter if you plan on skiing a lot of trees etc. When I bought them, the DPS rep kept telling me to get the 184's, because the 189's aren't just longer, they're also stiffer. The 189 is considered by DPS to be the Dash Longe pro model. I thought the rep was full of shit because DPS's are always so soft, and all my other skis are 189-192, but I kind of wish I had gone shorter. I mean, except when I drop a big cornice into a super steep face and can just straightline it down to the bottom My buddy got the 184's, and I can confirm that they feel softer hand flexing them in the shop.
    Didn’t know about it being stiffer too. Longer and stiffer would be a bit much. Realistically just mounting the 184 a couple cm back would likely have solved the length.

Well, I just bought a pair of these. Excited to get them out. Hopefully they'll be the charger + pow ski to complement my Wildcat 108's.

DB Cooper
    January 17, 2021 at 8:42 am | Reply
    I read something on a TGR board this morning that says a narrower koala might be coming next year. Anyone have any info on that…

Jonathan Ellsworth
    January 17, 2021 at 9:25 am | Reply
    Yep. We’ve been skiing it. Stay tuned…

Heh. Woah.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    DB Cooper
    January 17, 2021 at 8:42 am | Reply
    I read something on a TGR board this morning that says a narrower koala might be coming next year. Anyone have any info on that…

Jonathan Ellsworth
    January 17, 2021 at 9:25 am | Reply
    Yep. We’ve been skiing it. Stay tuned…

Heh. Woah.
    Pics are in the 21/22 gear rumors thread.

Scored some un-skied 184's for a bargain...one issue is mount interference.

Options are to go about a .5-1cm forward or 2-2.5cm back of rec.

I am a fairly directional skier but prefer to ski a little more centered in pow. My DD is a 188 Husume and lowtide ski is a Brahma(both -11 mounts).

I am leaning mounting back given my preference for more traditional shapes.

Has anyone experimented with going back on the 184?

Quote Originally Posted by Alyosha_SP View Post
    Scored some un-skied 184's for a bargain...one issue is mount interference.

Options are to go about a .5-1cm forward or 2-2.5cm back of rec.

I am a fairly directional skier but prefer to ski a little more centered in pow. My DD is a 188 Husume and lowtide ski is a Brahma(both -11 mounts).

I am leaning mounting back given my preference for more traditional shapes.

Has anyone experimented with going back on the 184?
    I would go back. I skied them a couple runs at recommended and they felt too far forward for my taste...and you know I was on a WC 108 yesterday.

I wouldn't mount forward.
    I'm on 189s.

Or was until I lost one under early pow over rocks.

Springtime should reunite us.

I like them way way more at rec than + 1, I'd find some other bindings and see if it can get you closer.

DPS is having their sale for the next week, $200 off skis.

Curious if anyone has anymore time on these? The 103 looks interesting and it looks like they've made slight changes to the 118 (previously 119) to make it a bit more friendly as easier to ski in the trees?

I don't have time on the new ones but I saw the sale...pretty sweet deals. $500 for the Koala 103 is not shabby sounds like they are trying to get people on these. Blister has a flash review of the Koala 118 but I'm not a subscriber.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    I don't have time on the new ones but I saw the sale...pretty sweet deals. $500 for the Koala 103 is not shabby sounds like they are trying to get people on these. Blister has a flash review of the Koala 118 but I'm not a subscriber.
    They have flash reviews of both, but like you I am not a subscriber.
    $500 is not a bad deal for a Koala 103.. If any mags here considering a J102, J108, W101, W108, but trying to save a couple benjis, these could be your ticket.

Well they just posted the full review of the Koala 103. It looks like a solid 1-ski quiver for Colorado, or a good intermediate ski. They will probably sell a lot of these to the masses at that price point if they get them hawked about in stores.

Skied the Koala 119 this season until I broke the tip sledding. Dps actually offered %30 off a new pair. Props to them.

Anyhow. Agree with what’s been said for the most part. I am 6’ 200lbs plus gear. Mounted on the line. Skied them at Whistler as a daily driver. Definitely take technique and mustle to shut down. However they rip everything, and are balanced in the air. I am a fairly directional skier, still throw tricks but like landing forward. No landing switch in pow for me.
    They can rip groomers and side hits, strait line and slash, pretty killer resort ski. They can “somtimes” be handful in iced up/skied out trees but in anything soft they destroy. Will maybe get another pair, still dream of rustler 11 in 192….

If you get another pair it would be nice to hear a comparison, from what I've read the new 118 is supposed to be a bit easier to handle in areas where people found them difficult.. like tight spaces and shutting down speed.

Yea radius is 19m now too on the 118?! Ill have to ski them to let you know. Probably handle a bit better by the sounds of it. They are a hard ski to review they are still super playful, but not in the typical soft way.

Quote Originally Posted by kicool View Post
    Skied the Koala 119 this season until I broke the tip sledding. Dps actually offered %30 off a new pair. Props to them.

Anyhow. Agree with what’s been said for the most part. I am 6’ 200lbs plus gear. Mounted on the line. Skied them at Whistler as a daily driver. Definitely take technique and mustle to shut down. However they rip everything, and are balanced in the air. I am a fairly directional skier, still throw tricks but like landing forward. No landing switch in pow for me.
    They can rip groomers and side hits, strait line and slash, pretty killer resort ski. They can “somtimes” be handful in iced up/skied out trees but in anything soft they destroy. Will maybe get another pair, still dream of rustler 11 in 192….
    Still have the other one?
    I lost a 189 Koala 119 last season and have a single.

That sucks. I do have it yes

Bumping this thread because I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the 118's in 189 to replace my beloved Lotus 120's (flex 2) that snapped 3 seasons ago after 11 years on them, these would be for bigger powder days. Aspen resorts are my home mountains, 6ft4, 230lbs, my daily driver is Kastle mx98 in 192. If some people talk about skiing like a ninja, my style is more MMA or maybe even WWE; I like damp and fast generally speaking. I realize the Lotus 120 wasn't necessarily all those things and in a pow ski that's fine with me, but there were times on the 120's when I wished I had something a bit stiffer and damper and sounds like these Koala's might fit the bill?
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."