Anyone tried Head Liquid Fit Liners? Vector RS - Boot Ramblings

Concept seems pretty solid overall to fill the space in the shell and lock down the heel area. Long term concerns would be the bladders leaking, but maybe not.

https://www.head.com/us-US/sports/sk...ogy/liquidfit/

Current x-pro 120s that were vacuum molded in a Fischer machine fit like a glove and have great heel hold 75+ days later, first boot I’ve skied pain free. Flex seems like they’re getting a little tired, probably too soft to begin with though. Default option will be getting x pro 130s and molding them the same way again if I can find a shop with a vacuum machine still kicking

But the heads seem interesting. Never liked the idea of heat molding boots without the vacuum air bladders preventing the boot from expanding too much (particularly the heel). Perhaps starting with a boot that’s too small generally all the way around, heat molding, and the liquid injection would work well.

Never tried power wraps, still need to. Maybe should just grab a pair to try in my sollys, although they are pretty high volume? The stock Salomon liners are not too thick, not very much space in the boot.

My foot for reference is regular arch, high instep, very wide (105mm last (starting half way down my foot and ending at my toes). Toes are pretty tapered so 6th toe never been an issue. Narrow heel, big calves, small foot (25.5 in the solly’s, maybe 26.5 other brands).

Went to a boot fitter (not sure how good) and he stuck me in some mach1 mv’s. Just sitting in the shop they felt brutal, but that was pre molding. Been looking at the hv’s, Lange SX/RX as well

try ZipFits.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Concept seems pretty solid overall to fill the space in the shell and lock down the heel area. Long term concerns would be the bladders leaking, but maybe not.

https://www.head.com/us-US/sports/sk...ogy/liquidfit/

Current x-pro 120s that were vacuum molded in a Fischer machine fit like a glove and have great heel hold 75+ days later, first boot I’ve skied pain free. Flex seems like they’re getting a little tired, probably too soft to begin with though. Default option will be getting x pro 130s and molding them the same way again if I can find a shop with a vacuum machine still kicking

But the heads seem interesting. Never liked the idea of heat molding boots without the vacuum air bladders preventing the boot from expanding too much (particularly the heel). Perhaps starting with a boot that’s too small generally all the way around, heat molding, and the liquid injection would work well.

Never tried power wraps, still need to. Maybe should just grab a pair to try in my sollys, although they are pretty high volume? The stock Salomon liners are not too thick, not very much space in the boot.

My foot for reference is regular arch, high instep, very wide (105mm last (starting half way down my foot and ending at my toes). Toes are pretty tapered so 6th toe never been an issue. Narrow heel, big calves, small foot (25.5 in the solly’s, maybe 26.5 other brands).

Went to a boot fitter (not sure how good) and he stuck me in some mach1 mv’s. Just sitting in the shop they felt brutal, but that was pre molding. Been looking at the hv’s, Lange SX/RX as well
    I know nothing about the technology you're asking about, but 105mm is not that wide. My feet measure at 106 and 107 (26.5 and 27 length) and I ski in 98mm shells with some minor punches. High volume shells suck. Avoid unless absolutely necessary.

Nordica had something like this for the Grand Prix boot (the green machines) back in the day (circa 1996). Insert syringe into liner, put foot in liner, liner in shell, inject the gel into the liner.

It went away for a reason.

But hey, alpine boots with walk modes were all the rage at that time too, plus Atomic is introducing a rear entry boot next year,...so everything old is cutting edge innovation again.

Let us know how it works out for you.

I wonder how long it is until foam cores and monocoque are new again. Hell, in 5 years, we'll probably all be skiing on 207 cm skinny straight skis talking about skiing IN the snow instead of on it...oh wait, we already went through that recycled marketing babble last winter when skinny was the new fat.

[/end rant about how those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.]
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

MD, we have some similarity's in feet (sans calf size). I was stuck at this juncture for a little bit. The choice between a Power Wrap and A Zipfit. The choice ends up being on how much volume needs to be taken up.

The whole Zipfit line is a lesser volume. The Power Wrap is fuller in every aspect and more compressible. I needed to make-up more space and super happy with the PW. Surface contact is 100%, other than the toe box of course. The density of the material takes a little bit getting used to. Once I adapted to the higher mass - transmission out the wazoo coupled with no more boot bang and much warmer. Ended up being a win win
    ​I am not in your hurry

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Nordica had something like this for the Grand Prix boot (the green machines) back in the day (circa 1996). Insert syringe into liner, put foot in liner, liner in shell, inject the gel into the liner.

It went away for a reason.
    it didn't go away. it became zipfit. The dude that started it came from Nordica.

I fucking love mine. they only falter as a touring liner (which is where intuition excels IMO). otherwise I couldn't imagine a better option. crazy good performance & heel hold. fuzzy warm comfy toes, works with custom footbeds, and they actually get BETTER throughout the day instead of packing out. I'm on my 3rd shell for the same liners.

Lange also uses something similar in their WC race liners.

I'm actually curious about the Head system too.

I owned some San Marco's with silicone injected liners circa early 90's. They skied well but caused your feet to condensate like a swamp due to them not breathing at all. Lots of cold feet days with those liners.

Tried zip-fits briefly (in a boot that was too big) and wasn’t super impressed. Seemed a bit finicky too.

Salomon is changing the x-pro to the s/pro next year, haven’t been able to find much on it other than is about 200 grams lighter now? Might wait for that, although I hate paying retail for a boot that I’m going to end up “fitting” myself with the vacuum machine

Bump. Any experiences with Liquid Fit? I bought some Heads which seem to fit pretty well, but wondering how much better they could be with liquid fit. Or I might just go custom foam.

For what it’s worth I ended up going zipfit and have been extremely pleased so far. When combined with custom molding boot shell they are amazing

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    For what it’s worth I ended up going zipfit and have been extremely pleased so far. When combined with custom molding boot shell they are amazing

Do you have the Vector RS? Which flex? What are your thoughts? I know it's a little tough to review because of the Zipfits. I have the 110 and it fits my foot well, but feels soft for a 110 flex and the shell feels cheaply made.

No I ended up getting Salomon s pro 130s and hawx prime 130 s (I’m trying both out haha)

THe Head liquid fit is a parafin wax. once it solidifies, it takes a great deal of heat to re-liquify. It's not a gel, and doesn't remain in a liquid phase of matter...

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post

plus Atomic is introducing a rear entry boot next year,...so everything old is cutting edge innovation again.
    I wish you weren't joking about this... Rear entry boots are awesome. I have so much metal in my metatarsals on one side, getting a ski boot on takes serious effort. I'd be first in line for a good stiff rear entry boot. THey were awesome and didn't deserve to die for the sake of competitor's shitty marketing...

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.