Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    OG Billy Goats

190 deathwish

I know many people love both of those, but they both felt like they are skis that fill the small section of "I do not want to turn, and being hooky is OK because the skis look rad. I also don't want to really enjoy my day out skiing." in the quiver.

Archer not the arrow maybe? Totally could be. I just have skied alot of skis in the last 30 years and those are the only two I couldn't at least force myself to enjoy.

I know I'm breaking the thread rules but I gotta go back to 2006 when after losing my ski in a slide in Telluride I had to borrow skis from friends and one coworker tried to sell me the Dynastar Nobis Inspired skis. I tried them for a day and holy crap, what a confused pos ski that was. They must have paid Nobis a pretty good bit to put his name on those noodles, I can't imagine that he ever skied on them.

Anyways, that's the worst ski I can think of. Most skis are pretty good at something. The Inspired was not.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    OG Billy Goats

190 deathwish

I know many people love both of those, but they both felt like they are skis that fill the small section of "I do not want to turn, and being hooky is OK because the skis look rad. I also don't want to really enjoy my day out skiing." in the quiver.

Archer not the arrow maybe? Totally could be. I just have skied alot of skis in the last 30 years and those are the only two I couldn't at least force myself to enjoy.
    You do realize the OG Billy Goat is quite a bit different than more recent versions with RES that everyone is raving about, right? With RES sidecut they are one of the least hooky skis I've ever been on.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    I know I'm breaking the thread rules but I gotta go back to 2006 when after losing my ski in a slide in Telluride I had to borrow skis from friends and one coworker tried to sell me the Dynastar Nobis Inspired skis. I tried them for a day and holy crap, what a confused pos ski that was. They must have paid Nobis a pretty good bit to put his name on those noodles, I can't imagine that he ever skied on them.

Anyways, that's the worst ski I can think of. Most skis are pretty good at something. The Inspired was not.
    The ones Nobis had were race room and super stiff. Was watching a civilian ski a pair that Nobis had gifted him up at Alyeska...Kim Reichelm was next to me as he hooped and holler all the way down...she looked at me and said in a deadpan voice "he doesn't know it but those skis are skiing HIM"

Tried Ravens this year, swiss cheesed them trying to get the mount point right...no love and got my ass kicked on the sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    W108 (17/18~189)- Caught me in the wheelhouse. Been dwelling to long and should have thrown this up in the 0N3P thread more than a few days back when mount point was being tossed around for this ski.

Can’t get happy feet. Thought I would have settled in easier. Especially with some mags talking about it being good right out of the wrapper. I really try and let a ski tell me what it wants to do instead of it adapting to me (1st ON3P).

Took a little bit to get the tail dialed. Abuse with a blunt instrument and I’ve come to like the behavior. Just wish there was more of it. Stiffer for 18/19 made sense.

Initial impressions where fighting it's go up hill on it's own, hooky as shit - more serious blunting helped tremendously.

I feel some dead weight/unused damp out front and the ski doesn’t initiate real easy - delivers some indecision forward at sub light speeds even in the deep and less than deadly accurate at warp. It hasn’t detuned away either.

Haven’t dropped inserts in yet and was thinking – move up some [+1] and hope it skis more lively – exacting, a touch quicker. Gaining more tail as bitched about will be nice too.
    It almost sounds like you need less tail. It also sounds a little bit like when I had my Q Labs beveled at .5 base. That's why detuning helped. Make sure they are at 2 side and 1 base and get aggressive with a gummy stone along the length of the rocker. If they are still hooky 1 and 1. And if it's still heavy on the tail or just really locked into a particular turn radius, move the mount back, not forward.

And just to add: a lot of skis (and boots) seem to be made now for the new-school-which-is-kinda-old-school upright stance. On the boot factor, the suddenly new mechanics make my back spasm, and on the ski side, it can make them shitty and gutless, or hard to find the sweet spot on, or like they have too much tail and you can't make the turn shapes you want to.
    If you're middle school and really started skiing for real about the early oughts (and eaier?) timeframe, this might not work, as you may be needing to be in a more forward stance because that's what you're used to. This can make it hard to find the sweet spot on the ski since you're either forward past the balance point, into the rocker (which hopefully isn't also soft) or too far back onto too much tail.

Or at least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

For me it's the G3 Highball. I know that a lot of people love these, so I'm willing to accept that the mount point may've been off or something, but I skied my pair for a few years and never figured them out. The closest I came was high-speed GS turns on hardpack groomers, of all things. In any sort of soft snow, it felt almost impossible to get on top of them and actually drive them, it always felt like they had to be thrown into a turn.

Blizzard Gunsmokes

W108

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Blizzard Gunsmokes

W108
    I also hated the gunsmoke, couldn’t make that ski work

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Praxis Rx
    This
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    og black diamond havocs too light too stiff too skinny. Fuck all that.
    Totally agree the Havocs were a horrible ski.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Usually it’s the archer bitching, but there are bent arrows, and arrows that work in one bow but not the other. Also, if you are 225 and 6’3” and Tom there is 5’ 5” and 140lbs, it’s very probable that if one of you loves a ski, the other will hate it. Even at different sizes.
    Fully agree. At 215 lbs and 6’1”, I just had two days on Protests for the first time. I literally want to pile my other Pow skis and burn them. There is the skier, but there is also physics.

Skilogik Ullr’s Chariot TT. 101mm waist &. 14m radius. Big camber, no tip rise. Never figured out how to ski em, even on soft groom, after the second tune. Tried a pair of their Bomb Squads and wasn’t wild about them either

Nice graphics though

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    It almost sounds like you need less tail. It also sounds a little bit like when I had my Q Labs beveled at .5 base. That's why detuning helped. Make sure they are at 2 side and 1 base and get aggressive with a gummy stone along the length of the rocker. If they are still hooky 1 and 1. And if it's still heavy on the tail or just really locked into a particular turn radius, move the mount back, not forward.
    Please re-read my post for a better understanding of what you already read.
    ​I am not in your hurry

Quote Originally Posted by gtid View Post
    Totally agree the Havocs were a horrible ski.
    What’s really funny is my old pair is back on Craigslist. Seen them get sold over and over.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

I pretty much get along with all the skis I've been on. There was a kreitler pro model from blizzard I accepted as a warranty replacement from a shop for a different blizz ski I broke. mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    The disappointment level was 10/10 could not get them off my feet fast enough, basically ruined a run at BBI with the whole group for me. Could barely ski, skis seemed to have a mind of their own, hooking and grabbing on everything. They came from the demo fleet, I can’t believe ON3P would send paying customers out on a ski that felt like that. Really bummed as I like the billygoat, c&d, Kartel108 and wren 113.

Someone should send me a pair of wren 108 for testing purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

totally agree. I rode wren 108’s and have a pair of wren 98’s that both rode exactly like this. I got attacked in the ON3P thread for saying so and then had people pm me that theirs were like that too. I had to file the edges down super aggressively from the tips in well past the contact points to get them to stop skiing like that. Don’t understand why they get sent out of the factory like that.

You were attacked? Was it me? Probably was. I love my wren 108s - sharp as fuck or not. Interesting

The Gotama after they went ELP (think this was in 2010?) was a huge disappointment for me. Did not compare to previous generations of that ski.

I like my W108s but feel that they're a quiver ski for softer snow conditions and not as versatile as I thought (don't have problems with hooking but they need to be skied fast). Took these to Jackson a year ago and kind of scared myself...went back this year with K108s and Billygoats and had a lot more fun.
    Last edited by RYAN13; 02-18-2019 at 12:21 AM. Reason: I'm retarded

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Skilogik Ullr’s Chariot TT. 101mm waist &. 14m radius. Big camber, no tip rise. Never figured out how to ski em, even on soft groom, after the second tune. Tried a pair of their Bomb Squads and wasn’t wild about them either

Nice graphics though
    Got some SkiLogik Pitons cheap, and hated 'em. Tried different mount points, adjusting tune - they constantly wanted to splay and hook. In the end, since they were so purdy, I just mounted 'em on the wall as art.

Actually shoulda known anything by Dave Mazzarella would not suit me. Jumped on the ScottyBob bandwagon early, and jumped off it as fast as I could.

Skis you HATED.. Recent edition, 2010 or newer.

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    You were attacked? Was it me? Probably was. I love my wren 108s - sharp as fuck or not. Interesting
    Yeah, different strokes for different folks. I love them. But they do need to be driven aggressively and fast to come alive for sure. If I don’t feel like charging hard I leave them at home.

And as I mentioned earlier, I heavily de-tuned the tips and tails.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

A ski industry that outlawed tele gear and didn't even bother make any BC boots for wide feet, with which to replace them. No skis work if your boots suck.

pretty sure you can still get new tele boots and bindings. Hell, they're even coming out with new binding models.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Yeah, different strokes for different folks. I love them. But they do need to be driven aggressively and fast to come alive for sure. If I don’t feel like charging hard I leave them at home.

And as I mentioned earlier, I heavily de-tuned the tips and tails.

I like them now, but had to detune them duller than an old library pencil. for comparison, I love my Brahmas and can ride them fully sharp with no issues. genuinely curious what it is about the Wren design that makes them like that. Too torsionally stiff? Edges too thick? sidewall too burly? dunno.

The BD 2012 Reverts were a big big downer for me.

They tried to cut weight on these skis, and in the end they just were not ideal for touring. The flimsiness of the skis combined with the 30+ cm of rocker made for a lot of floppy rides. And they just damaged too easily to be able to handle scrappier conditions or regular resort days. Delicate, I would describe them.